What do people think to the new MBP?

Soldato
Picked mine up from my local Waitrose today, another 2014 model.

Will give them a ring tomorrow and see what, if anything, can be done/offered.

Soldato
Bit of a jump from £50 to £300 in vouchers... I'll let you know how I get on.

Edit: They've updated the item description but not the specification which still shows the AMD Radeon R9 M370X :o

Last edited:
Soldato
So it's still at £1499 and it's gone from a 2015 MBP with 3 year warranty to a 2014 MBP with 2 year warranty!

Had my new 13" for all of 12 hours now, battery life a bit iffy watching stuff with VLC rather than Quicktime and browsing with Chrome, not Safari, but I am just too locked into Chrome and extensions now :(

Associate
The girl I spoke to had no clue what I was saying when I told her I got sent a Nvidia based MacBook instead of a AMD model, she just offered £50 vouchers. She said the webpage originally said it was a 2016 model. With some arguing you could get at least £100 back, I had no intention of keeping it even if I somehow managed to get £200 off. Its was collected today anyway.

It'll probably take them another wave of customer inquiries asking if its actually the 2014 model or 2015 before finally getting it right at a price no one wants to buy.

Soldato
VLC has always been a battery hog. Just seems poorly written. I used to use mPlayerX for video but it stopped working in Sierra. I've been using MPV since April.

I love the new form factor of the MBP, it makes the old ones like my 2015 look like Powerbooks of years gone by. I'm not fussed about legacy USB ports, its trivial to change a cable, and I wouldn't buy any new non Type-C devices.

The reason I didn't upgrade is that that it's just not a big enough leap forward to shell out another £1200 on top of the resale of my 2015 16bg model.

Associate
Well - I'm sort of glad and mad at reading this thread. I too bought one as soon as I saw the deal on JL. Set it all up and thought it was fine - now I just checked the specs and mine too has Nvidia which means it's a 2014 model.

Only went for this as I don't think the new model is worth the price so last years was perfect fit.

Angry now.

Associate
Yeah I've just saw that they have amended all the specs. I'll contact them today very annoyed now after spending money on software and extra bits now to have to sort out a return as I doubt they will be able to provide what i ordered.

Gonna be harder to track down a 2015 as I had been checking apple refurb etc for weeks, oh well.

Soldato
To get this thread back on track.

Had yet another play with the new MBP today in purple shirt world. The prices for the 8gb 265gb model weren't as outrageous as I remember.

The Surface Books were on a table opposite, and honestly they looked to be about 4 generations behind the new MBP in design. Seriously considering updating when they get Kaby Lake Iris pros.

Soldato
Just got mine from there. They are on discount at the moment, also 11% Quidco (if it ever goes through).

I tried the Surface Book and returned it, I don't actually think the industrial design is bad at all it's just a consequence of the form factor and the fact that there's a lot more weight in the screen part than a normal laptop. All the dodgy design results from having to deal with that trade off.

However it was actually the noise that made me return it, every time you booted up an intensive application the fans would spin up and it was very distracting. My new MBP is much quieter :)

Soldato
To get this thread back on track.

Had yet another play with the new MBP today in purple shirt world. The prices for the 8gb 265gb model weren't as outrageous as I remember.

The Surface Books were on a table opposite, and honestly they looked to be about 4 generations behind the new MBP in design. Seriously considering updating when they get Kaby Lake Iris pros.

The Surface Book might look 4 generations behind but it's the better laptop.

Same or better performance for much less money.

Better screen.

Better keyboard.

MagSafe power.

Dongle-free.

And obviously;

Straightforward support for Windows 10.

Last edited:
Associate
OP

Better screen.

Better keyboard.

MagSafe power.

Dongle-free.

And obviously;

That's all subjective matey, the touchscreen (if that's what you're into) is the only real upside...

The new MBP keyboard is the nicest I've ever used, the push to usb-c and being able to power from either side (and from portable battery packs) is great and lastly, the MBP is a great W10 laptop, the Surface can't run OSX.

That last point is and always will be the ace in the hole regardless of how other specs match up... W10 is an unfinished mongrel of an OS - I tried it for 2 weeks straight to see if I could stomach it when looking to move to a Razer Blade... It was a no from me.

Soldato

Better screen.

Better keyboard.

MagSafe power.

Dongle-free.

And obviously;

That might be so, but until you can install macOS on it natively it's not going to work for FCPX user like myself. Even if I didn't then I'd install Linux on it. Really not a windows fan visual or functionally.

Add to that the size and weight and it's not going to be as good for the type of travelling I do either.

Soldato
That might be so, but until you can install macOS on it natively it's not going to work for FCPX user like myself. Even if I didn't then I'd install Linux on it. Really not a windows fan visual or functionally.

Add to that the size and weight and it's not going to be as good for the type of travelling I do either.

An awful lot of Macs run Windows. That's just how it is.

If you need to run OSX then clearly you need to pay the money Apple are asking. I always did before.

The point I'm making is that it would never have entered my head to buy a Surface Book before. It was never even close to being competition.

By not moving forward significantly Apple have allowed Microsoft (and others) to catch up. In future, when all my devices are USB C then I'll be quite happy with 4 USB C ports but right now I have an SD card that I use a lot and USB memory sticks and a camera that transfers everything by USB 3.0 and I'd need £120 worth of dongles to use those simultaneously with a new MBP. And wait until you forget one and you can't do something you need to do. Add to that the fact that I can't just plug an HDMI lead into it to run a PowerPoint presentation and it's starting to look like a white spider has taken control of my workspace.

The original question posed was "What do folks think of the new MBP?" And my answer clearly is "very nice, very expensive, too many dongles and no longer on my shopping list".

For me, Apple have got this refresh wrong. If it works for you I'm genuinely delighted and in the same way that you have said the Surface Book doesn't work for you, the new MBP doesn't work for me. What I have a problem with is I want a MacBook Pro. I like them an awful lot. And it's not happening for me at the moment. So, for me, Apple have got this wrong.

Soldato
That's all subjective matey, the touchscreen (if that's what you're into) is the only real upside...

The new MBP keyboard is the nicest I've ever used, the push to usb-c and being able to power from either side (and from portable battery packs) is great and lastly, the MBP is a great W10 laptop, the Surface can't run OSX.

That last point is and always will be the ace in the hole regardless of how other specs match up... W10 is an unfinished mongrel of an OS - I tried it for 2 weeks straight to see if I could stomach it when looking to move to a Razer Blade... It was a no from me.

Ultimately it's all subjective. I've never used OSX. It's not that intuitive to me, some of my peripherals lack driver's and if you've gotten used to the way Windows does stuff, you want to use Windows. Apple provide Boot Camp specifically because they know folks like me want to have the best laptop available and run Windows.

What changed for me is I would never previously have considered a non-Apple laptop. Before, Apple was always CLEARLY a superior product. They were faster, better made and had neat touches like the MagSafe power adapter.

Now, they're forcing you to buy extra dongles for no real reason, the battery life isn't great (always somewhere Apple were simply outstanding) and others can match the build quality and specs. For less money.

So, for mt, subjectively, the Surface Book is the better laptop.

Associate
OP
You touched on quite an interesting point there actually - For folks who want a MBP to run Windows 10 like yourself will be wholly turned off by the touch bar - Nobody likes tech that can't be utilised (and I'm guessing it just defaults to F keys in Windows?) and there is no 15" without it.

Back
Top Bottom