**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

alx

alx

Soldato
18" diameter and 9.5J. Standard size is 275 35 R18.

I had heard about the P4S, will check what sizes they're planning on.

Edit: Just checked, and apparently the PS4S is being released in 19 and 20" only initially, though 18" is not yet on the release roadmap so unlikely to be in 2017. That's a pity.

The PS4 available currently has 18" sizes, people have generally been pretty complimentary about them. Could take a look.

Caporegime
My Saab 95 estate is 1620 kg. Do I need extra load tyres?

Saab quoted a 94 load rating as anything less and it wears down the edges fast. This was for an Aero due to the power but I am sure the same applies to the normal models. I have Asymmetric 3 on mine with a 94 load rating and they have been fantastic. Previous owner put lower 91 rating Asymmetric 2's on which didn't last long at all before the front edges were toast.

Last edited:
Associate
Mini Cooper had its service yesterday and tyres are close to limit so looking for a recommended replacement. Currently has Michelin Primacy 205/45/R17 88W (which seem quite average for grip & ride) and I'm looking for something with improved ride comfort and grip - what's recommended for a Mini Cooper?

Thank you

Man of Honour
Bought 4 in that size earlier this year and went for 4 Contisport Contact 3 non RFT but interestingly still BMW star marked.

I don't remember there being an option of Pilot Sport 4.

Associate
Yeah I've just heard back from the garage neither of the above tyres are recommended by BMW/Mini so it's Primacy or go elsewhere against manufacturer recommendation - strangely enough the recommended tyres are significantly more expensive!

The garage wouldn't explain why BMW specifically recommend these tyres for Mini Coopers - any ideas other than its s con?

Soldato
Honda Civic 2004 Tyres

Hey there,

I am in need of a 2nd opinion for some replacement tyres I was thinking of getting as my current tyres have faded / fading away.

My car is a Honda Civic 2004 and needs replacement tyres would you put any budget tyres on there or would you think putting 4 brand new Dunlop tyres at £220 in total is OK?

So question is around budget tyres vs premium. My annual mileage is around 10K consists of a mixture of inner city and motorway driving.

I am also thinking of getting the wheel alignment done at an extra £35

What do you recommend?

Thank you

Don
I have moved this to the general tyre thread, as you will likely get better responses.

I am in need of a 2nd opinion for some replacement tyres I was thinking of getting as my current tyres have faded / fading away.

What do you mean be faded / fading away?
Tyres in road use generally only need replacing either due to wear (e.g. worn down, or worn abnormally e.g. edge feathering), or due to age (e.g. rubber is visibly deteriorating e.g. cracking)

My car is a Honda Civic 2004 and needs replacement tyres would you put any budget tyres on there or would you think putting 4 brand new Dunlop tyres at £220 in total is OK?

What brand tyres do you have at the moment, and what size? What is your actual budget, as generally the recommendation is to buy the best you can afford.

Skimping on tyres and buying budget tyres generally isn't a great idea - while they may be fine for "normal driving", when your tyres are pushed to the limit (e.g. wet/icy roads or during an emergency stop situation), the extra grip offered by better tyres could make all the difference.

Soldato
I have moved this to the general tyre thread, as you will likely get better responses.

What do you mean be faded / fading away?
Tyres in road use generally only need replacing either due to wear (e.g. worn down, or worn abnormally e.g. edge feathering), or due to age (e.g. rubber is visibly deteriorating e.g. cracking)

What brand tyres do you have at the moment, and what size? What is your actual budget, as generally the recommendation is to buy the best you can afford.

Skimping on tyres and buying budget tyres generally isn't a great idea - while they may be fine for "normal driving", when your tyres are pushed to the limit (e.g. wet/icy roads or during an emergency stop situation), the extra grip offered by better tyres could make all the difference.

By fading away I mean the grip is going due to normal wear and tear of being used.

I have some Good Years and a Pirelli on the car at the moment

Tyre size is 195/60/r15 and I usually go for 88V

Yes I thought that too about skimming on tyres not so worthwhile in longer run.

Do you think as I am getting 4 brand new dunlops to get wheel alignment done too? Also do you think £220 fitted for 4 dunlops is a good price? or is that excessive?

Thanks for your help

Associate
By fading away I mean the grip is going due to normal wear and tear of being used.

I have some Good Years and a Pirelli on the car at the moment

Tyre size is 195/60/r15 and I usually go for 88V

Yes I thought that too about skimming on tyres not so worthwhile in longer run.

Do you think as I am getting 4 brand new dunlops to get wheel alignment done too? Also do you think £220 fitted for 4 dunlops is a good price? or is that excessive?

Thanks for your help

The Dunlop Sport BluResponce is a great tyre at that price anyway to be honest.

I can't see you getting tyres at much less then 40 a corner in that size. So saving 15 a corner isn't a huge amount, considering your getting yourself a well proven tyre in the Dunlop's.

Soldato
In need of some new front tyres for the ST 150, completely forgot to swap them around so now the fronts are wearing thin and the rears have still got a healthy chunk left.

Currently its got Avons zz5's on all around, (205/40 R17 84W), I really want all round matching tyres but will the PS3's (Cant seem to find 4's for the size) be a big enough improvement to have mismatch will the rears wear thin?

Soldato
Winter Tyres

I suppose it's better to ask this here rather than starting a new thread.

Anyone ever heard of "Hankook Winter Icept Evo" tyres? Buying a car next week from a dealer and it has a full set of these fitted. I've never bothered with winters before, but as the car comes with them, and it will spend a lot of time in muddy fields and whatnot, I thought about just leaving them on until they were worn, then replacing them with a decent all-season tyre.

Is this feasible? I know that all winter tyres are absolutely fantastic below 7 degrees (or whatever the magical figure is), but what's the trade off when the weather warms up?
Or should I jump on the bandwagon, replace them all now and then store the winter tyres ready to swap them out again next year?

Last edited:
Associate
Hi all,

Need to replace all 4 tyres on my car (18" 225/40) I currently have P Zero's on the front and Pilot Sport 3's on the rear. A quick scan through here looks like PS4's are the best bet at the moment?

Also, is it generally acceptable to turn up to a shop with tyres in hand, or is it more polite to take a small price hit but request the required tyre?

Thanks.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Or should I jump on the bandwagon, replace them all now and then store the winter tyres ready to swap them out again next year?
Why not leave them on until spring, buy a set of summers and then put them back on in early winter?

What's the car out of interest?

Soldato
Why not leave them on until spring, buy a set of summers and then put them back on in early winter?

What's the car out of interest?

Pure laziness on my part. I was just going to wear them out then swap to premium summer/all seasons and carry on, rather than swapping in the spring. I live in Kent, so we barely get winter weather bad enough to justify swapping tyres twice a year. But I guess there's no harm is swapping them in spring and storing them.

Car is nothing exciting...Kia Sorento, hardly the epitome of driving dynamics.

Soldato
I've turned up with tyres in my boot before, but I called first, to check prices.

Honestly, its going to depend whats on offer at the moment really. looks like camskill have uniroyal rainsport 3s for 53.65 a corner, which seams pretty good. But I haven't really spent the time too look properly

I'm quite annoyed as your tyres are a lot cheaper than my 17/205/45 tyres despite being bigger and wider :O

Back
Top Bottom