• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Athlon X2 5200+ 45nm AM3 may unlock to Phenom FX5200

Soldato
OP
Heh... Gorilla marketing from AMD? Send out a few early batches as locked Denebs and then release the Regors!

It's not beyond the realms of possibility...

Soldato
OP
The original allocation from the place I bought from (where I know of several others getting Denebs) ran out. They've had a new batch since then and I've seen some people get Regors from it and no Denebs yet. The odds don't look good :(

Soldato
OP
Just an update. I blew a VRM choke on my jetway board after updating my BIOS to accept DDR3-1600 (turns out it didn't like it - Jetway told me as much after the event). Got a Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 for a quick replacement.

Having issues with RAM dividers and timings on this board, so it's difficult to reach the heights I was getting on the Jetway board. I have had the CPU up to just short of 3.6GHz on BIOS F2 but it's in no way stable up there and I'm pretty sure that RAM is the limiting factor. Updating the BIOS to F5A has pushed my max bus speed down a fair bit.

Having said that, the 8+2 Phase VRMs and current BIOS seems to be doing the CPU some favours. As a quad it'll now do 3.1 GHz on stock (1.15v) no problem. Currently running 3.3GHz on the cores at 1.2v and just under 2.3GHz on the CPU-NB at stock volts. That'll take 20x IBT on high.

RAM is running at 1148 mhz C7. If I try to loosen the timings I'm in no-post territory. The current BIOS needs higher RAM volts for this bus speed if approaching DDR3-1600 C9 (I was getting an easy 296 bus on BIOS F2 but can't get over 290 with F5A).

5463315732_7cd23e8752_o.jpg
#

Edit: Just thought I'd mention - yes I am running 4 sticks of RAM.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thread resurrection! Just a long term update - this CPU has been running at the settings in the post above for the best part of 3 years. Rock stable.

Probably the best £30 I ever spent on a PC upgrade. I'm in no hurry to be upgrading any time soon.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thread resurrection! Just a long term update - this CPU has been running at the settings in the post above for the best part of 3 years. Rock stable.

Probably the best £30 I ever spent on a PC upgrade. I'm in no hurry to be upgrading any time soon.
This thread confused me a bit until i looked at the dates on the posts :p . That is great that it is still going. £30 is great for a cpu that can last that long :cool:

Soldato

Good to see it still going strong, it really was a great buy,

I still have mine but I'm not using it at the moment, have a spare motherboard now though and hope to build it up soon :)

Soldato
OP
Long term update.

Still solid as a rock. Coming up for 5 years next month with settings as per post #71. Machine's been upgraded to Windows 10. Not yet run into a game that might persuade me to upgrade but I'm not such a keen gamer these days. Most regular use is Trackmania and Lego Star Wars with the kids.

About the most demanding thing I've thrown at it recently was Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor.

It'll be decision time in a few months on whether to upgrade motherboard and CPU just before the Windows 10 free upgrade deadline. At the moment I'm inclined to keep it. Should run most Xbox One / PS4 Ports acceptably for a few years to come.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
6 year (well, nearly) check in.

Still going strong. Not doing so much gaming these days but it handled Everybody's Gone to the Rapture OK. The Doom Demo is also absolutely fine (despite their recommended minimum of FX8320)

I recently found I could get past the Platform FSB limit for my Gigabyte 870A-UD3 (of 287 for 3.3 GHz) by raising RAM voltage. Had the bus up to 302 briefly (3.47GHz quad core) for the chip but I don't fancy running my RAM that high for long. Keeping an eye out for some cheap higher voltage DDR3 as I have a morbid curiosity to see how high this 6 year old CPU will clock.

Last edited:
Soldato
Great to hear your still using it in your main PC and its preforming well!

I've got mine in a spare PC although only at stock currently (well unlocked of course!) I might well overclock it at some point but need some decent ram for that.

Back
Top Bottom