**Dell PowerEdge T20 Mini Tower Server - Owner Thread**

Associate
Reading through the thread, I've noticed a number of people saying that they've installed their operating system on a separate SSD with their data on other HDD's using RAID. Am I right in thinking that if the SSD fails, you can replace it and reinstall Windows and then regain access to the data on the other HDD's?

Soldato
got another T20 arriving today :)

and had a bargain 1050 Ti arrive this morning

so thats the HTPC sorted

next T20 build will be for the kids - undecided to a 1050Ti or 1060 - I've a spare decent PSU - that with a third party cable I can use with the T20

Soldato
Reading through the thread, I've noticed a number of people saying that they've installed their operating system on a separate SSD with their data on other HDD's using RAID. Am I right in thinking that if the SSD fails, you can replace it and reinstall Windows and then regain access to the data on the other HDD's?

Yes, the data on the RAID array will be uneffected.

Soldato
just benching my HTPC T20 ... 2nd T20 I've bought

put in a MSI Gaming X 1050 Ti in it too

I'm getting around 2400 in Valley - @ Ultra - 2560x1080 - and the fan hasn't come on the GPU yet (overclocked to boosts of 1940)

:)

Soldato
Going to order the Xeon Dell T20 tomorrow with a cashback offer

From what I understand, RAM wise it looks like people are using

Crucial 8GB DDR3-1600 ECC UDIMM

Whats the cheapest 8GB sticks that are going to work with this?

Need to keep costs on memory low if possible, later will come a couple of 2TB HDDs

I'm going to be decomissioning my old high end dual core ESX server and selling some bits out of that to fund things like memory/storage for this. Will be booting ESX off a USB same as I do with my current one.

Soldato
I went for Hyper X 1866 - because I know this is one that has JEDEC speeds for 1600

this is "important" on the Dell as you can't manually change

a lot of memory will default to 1333 on the Dell -not that it probably makes much difference

Soldato
Will keep that in mind,

also, these are quite cost efficient to run by the looks of it, has it effected anyones leccy bill running quite often through the months?

Soldato
I don't run mine as a server

but they are very low power in idle - less than 20W :)

I've 2 now - considering a 3rd

1st one - Music authoring PC (connected to a midi keyboard) + 480gb SSD + 8gb DDR1866

2nd one - HTPC - MSI 1050Ti Gaming X + 64gb SSD + 2 WD Reds + 8gb stock ram (used 4 out of the 1st one)

both running great

Soldato
I don't run mine as a server

but they are very low power in idle - less than 20W :)

I've 2 now - considering a 3rd

1st one - Music authoring PC (connected to a midi keyboard) + 480gb SSD + 8gb DDR1866

2nd one - HTPC - MSI 1050Ti Gaming X + 64gb SSD + 2 WD Reds + 8gb stock ram (used 4 out of the 1st one)

both running great

Cool cheers :) sounds good, to get me started until I buy some RAM would adding a stick of

SAMSUNG-4GB-PC3-10600R-DDR3-1333-REGISTERED-ECC-SERVER-MEMORY-

be ok from the stock purchase?

Last edited:
Soldato
With regards to storage, at the moment im running ESX with a datastore, now im looking to get some sort of RAID set-up on the go, I have not done this with ESX, I guess im not going to be able to use the built in RAID controller on this model?

If I need to purchase a seperate RAID controller card, whats the cheapest option

Last edited:
Soldato
HI all,

Before I look at clicking buy, it seems there is a bit of a no go area for ESX and software raid on this? am I going to need a dedicated RAID card to use ESX with a 2 disk RAID set-up? what is the cheapest card I can get away with ?

I was aiming on the fact that I could set-up ESX with raid.

If not im going to have to concider using without RAID

Soldato
Found 1 x 8GB Stick of PC3 12800E ECC Unbuffered UDIMM on the bay. £38 from Dr Memory

Never heard of the brand before, but they seem to be selling quite a few of them.

Soldato
Just clicked purchase, £299inc VAT, with £80 cashback, had £140 for xmas so only paying around £79

I'm planning on sticking on ESXi 5.5 or 6.0 Update 2

I have a licence key from my ESX 5.1 set-up, which I may re-use, as from what I understand with ESX licencing is that if you have a key, you can use it when upgrading.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi
Looking to get one of these, the cheapest I can find is £315.

Have they gone up in price as I see someone mention £300.

Associate
Thanks guys,

All sorted and order made.

I'm going to go with the ram easier rider posted, 2x8gb and use the existing 4gb as well.

I plan on using Ubuntu server, file storage and network printer setul. Ill also setup SSH to allow vpn access, been using it like this past week on an old laptop and it works fine when I'm at work.

Back
Top Bottom