***The Official OcUK Lego Thread***

Associate
Lepin Technics clones hmmm?

A word of warning. Do Not buy a Lepin set that has moving parts or is anything other than something simple a 4 year old could put together.

This stuff is so poorly manufactured. It's nothing like Lego quality. Nowhere near.

Let's just say I'm glad I have a Dremel , an engineering background and a lot of bloody patience..

Ich Bin Grumpy.

Associate
In case anyone is wondering...

mind_the_gap.jpg

The bracket on the left has been adjusted. The black bracket on the right has not. See that 1.5mm of blue showing? Well that stops things from running smoothly. See how close that Grey gear is to the light grey pin? Yup. It clatters into it.

Took a bit of work to make it stop fouling.

This Lepin stuff is complete rubbish.

Seriously.

Associate
and the less said about this the better...

gear.jpg

Had to Dremel off the rough and infill with black Milliput.

Hoping it sticks

Associate
Not all doom and gloom though.

At least I have 10 of these rare beasts now.

panels.jpg

TBH. These are as good as I would have expected from Lego. A difficult shape to produce and maybe why Lego stopped making them. Hence why the price to buy them secondhand is so stupid (£6-£8 each)

They will make that B model Volvo dumper complete (and that's what this was all about to begin with)

I'll shut up now...

Soldato
How is the SSD build?

I've had an issue with one part. There's a flat 1X2 with a flat round hinge which connects to another 1X2. The male part wasn't manufactured properly and didn't sit in the female part. It's not a moving piece so didn't matter too much. The rest of it has all gone together fine and holds together well.

Other than that, fine. I don't find the instructions difficult to follow as others have said. I'm happy with it so far.

This Lepin stuff is complete rubbish.

What set was that from? In fairness I'm not surprised there's issue with the technics. I have the Lepin Porsche and been indecisive whether to build it. The technics for the SSD is fine but it's not moving. The Lepin I've bought and will but again is really just static models so I can get away with using Lepin.

Associate
What set was that from?

TBH I'd rather not publicly state the exact model number on a public forum. (Snoopers Charter and all that that could imply in the future)

To be fair to Lepin though, this thing also came with a full set of power functions (2 x remotes, 4 x Medium motors, 2x IR receivers and a battery box) and they work just as well as the Lego ones. Wouldn't be at all surprised if they were made in exactly the same factory actually.

Personally though, I wont be buying anymore fake / clone kits. I only bought this one because it's a discontinued set from 2010 (with some out of production parts that cost silly money to buy second hand)

Soldato
Question: Is the Lego Porsche worth the cost as I'm thinking of buying one to go with my Ferrari :)

It was for sure worth the £154 I paid at Tesco, I think you can still get it for £174 at Asda and John Lewis. I would get it for that price also.

The un-boxing experience alone is epic as is the manual. The build is good so far, done box 1 and 2. Not had any friction issues that were reported when it was released.

Associate
In that case guessing 8043 Motorized Excavator

Give that man a coconut ;)

Jeez - those stickers!! You only get one shot. If you try and peel it back to reposition it the bloody backing paper comes away. Aaaarrrghhh !! Had to glue it back down..

I hate stickers. Lepin or otherwise..

Associate
With my Technic sets, I've now started to only apply the stickers that are used for functions. Almost everything else I leave off (except for the Porsche - that stuff was necessary and relatively few in number)

Soldato
Anyone who recently bought the Mercedes-Benz Arocs 3245 truck 42043 - where was best priced for it as JL seem incredibly well priced at £120 but it's not in stock at the moment.

Has to be the one set I would really want right now!

Back
Top Bottom