Is running/jogging in a cemetery disrespectful?

Associate
Depends on the kind of cemetery really and whether there are paths/roads through it.

I used to cycle up through a cemetery, as part of a short route round my local park, but I stuck to general access roads. I have loved ones buried up there and don't see a problem with it at all.

Caporegime
I don't care.

But I can understand how it would annoy others, it's a place to mourn. People go to think about people they have loved and lost. It's a place for peace and quiet. Not that I ever go, I don't need a place to do this. But yeah, as someone else has said. If you have to ask yourself, then you already know the answer.

Soldato
I frequently run, and I've moved houses and nearby is cemetery. Is it disrespectful to run/jog through it?

The cemetery rules/notice board just says no loud music.

Would you mind if I ran/jogged past your buried loved ones?

I personally wouldn't mind - what do you think? What if there was a procession and I jogged past it?

Not disrespectful at all unless you mean for it to be that way.

It's a construct designed in your mind. The dead is dead, they can't care. Only the living cares. So you decide for yourself if you mean for it to be disrespectful or not if you're only running/jogging.

Soldato
If there's a main path separated from the gravestones no but if not I'd try and avoid it. I suppose you could say to anyone who said it was disrespectful that one of your relatives was buried there and you liked running past to remember them, but that would appear to be a lie and probably not a good idea.

Soldato
I do it plenty, i see absolutely no issue with it whatsoever, as long as you do it respectfully, just give people paying their respects a wide berth, and obviously if there is someone being buried dont barge on past, turn back/find another more discreet way around.
Quite a few of the Cemeteries up in Dundee are joined/part of or in close proximity to inner city parks, and have main paths and walking/cycle routes running through/round them and tend to be pretty busy routes.

Caporegime
I wouldn't have any issues with it if the route is a public right of way/through path etc. I would probably stop jogging and walk past a procession or service if i saw one taking place though.

In fact the cemetery near where i live is pretty much the only route through to the village from the houses where i live so you have to go through it to get anywhere ( without taking a massive detour).

if it is just a cemetery that goes nowhere and you are literally just running in it around in a circle and then back out, then it would probably be a bit weird.

Back
Top Bottom