win 10 resize partition

Soldato
Hi

I am in the process of reinstalling a new ssd with Win 10

I am worried that I may over or under allocate drive space for example if I allocate 100g for C: and then later want to increase or decrease it is that an option? Also does it mean I need to leave some space on the SSD unallocated? or can I simply borrow 25- 50g from another partition so long as its free and allocate that to my C:

Also I plan on having a VM machine on my C: too that will have a copy of Win XP and Win 7 and possibly 8, does this mean the VM will automatically install them to my C: ??

I have 500g to play with and was thinking of going:

c: 100g
d: progs 50g
e: 350g

However I was thinking of giving C: 150g but not sure if I can decrease the partition size later on...How would you proceed so you can allocate extra storage from an unallocated pool on the same ssd if one exists in the longer run if needed or decrease the size of a partition if no longer required.

Really need some help and advice with this please?

Soldato
Just make 1 partition.. Space must be contiguous to allow resizing of partitions... Also the space must be in the right place.... You would need a 3rd party tool to move all the data along

Soldato
OP
Just make 1 partition.. Space must be contiguous to allow resizing of partitions... Also the space must be in the right place.... You would need a 3rd party tool to move all the data along

so you mean something like this:

c: 100g
d: 400g

thats just one partition then right? I don't see the point of this? Please explain

Are you saying to play around with space is tricky because it has to be in the right place so to best to avoid?

Soldato
I'd just create 1x 500gb partition (why would you want several?) ... It will be a pain to extend them in the future also 3x vms are likley to use 70gb of space..

Draw a line on a bit of paper 30cm long split that line into 3 sections.. That's your 3 partitions, write a word at the beginning of each section.. That's your data... How can you now make the first section bigger? You need to move the word in the section to its right along a bit before you can make it bigger, windows will not do that you need 3rd party software (unless they changed it in Windows 10).. The 3rd party software does not always work and might break everything

Soldato
In a similar situation I created 2 partitions 150GB for windows , 350GB data, for data.
A paritition for programs, since many use regsistry and OS files on win partition, does not seem to make sense ?
You are meant to run ssd's with some free space, I believe for better r/w rates.
Having data on a second partition means I can be ill displined about filling that up without impacting space for system files eg. paging files on the win partition
Keeping windows on a non-oversized partition too, may facilitate subsequent mirror to a disk with more partitions for a multi-boot.
was a bit concerned about non-uniform wear levels across the ssd with multiple partitions too. (first time ssd user paranoia)

Back
Top Bottom