Samsung KS7000 55inch just been delivered...

Soldato
The sony can hit 1000 nits and uses a 10 bit panel and input lag has recently been reduced with the latest firmware update:)

But it's £400 more expensive. If they were similar priced my experience of having the Samsung exchanged three times would say buy the Sony but it's not worth a £400 premium if you ask me. The KS7000 offers a lot of TV for considerably less.

Soldato
But it's £400 more expensive. If they were similar priced my experience of having the Samsung exchanged three times would say buy the Sony but it's not worth a £400 premium if you ask me. The KS7000 offers a lot of TV for considerably less.

If he can find one then yes for £900 the KS7000 is a great deal and yes you pay a premium for the sony but then it is available to buy now:)

Man of Honour
Thanks for the replies guys. Is the Sony Bravia 55XD8577/8599 significantly worse than the XD9305? It's £849 at the moment, against £1249 for the XD9305.

Soldato
Thanks for the replies guys. Is the Sony Bravia 55XD8577/8599 significantly worse than the XD9305? It's £849 at the moment, against £1249 for the XD9305.

It's an 8 bit IPS panel. Both the KS7000 and XD93 use 10 bit VA panels. It's not really comparable to either tbh.....

Have you tried PeterTyson or seeing if Richersounds can order in a KS7000. It looks like the KS series is EOL now so it might be tricky but worth a shot.

Soldato

Best thing to do is to go see them in the store and see for your own eyes.

The XD9305 has a 10bit panel and uses sony more extensive backlight drive system were as the 55XD8599 uses a 8bit panel and is edge lit from the bottom.

Last edited:
Soldato
... maybe re-opening an old topic but is ks7000 a genuine 10bit.
Topic was much discussed on avforums , and not discussed in the hdtvtest, which repeated the ambiguous samsung response in the comments

Ok, but look at this answer from Samsung :
This is to acknowledge that I have received your response to our email earlier about your unit. We guarantee that the TV has 10-bit support. Apologies but the specification of the actual panel, if it has 10-bit panel, was not disclosed on our system.”
So some of them they have no clue if it is genuine 10 bit or not! !

I guess no one took the back off (unintended pun) and counted the width of the bus going into the panel - anyway if the colour gamut is present, even if it were 8 bit (like the confirmed 750 Panasonics) then it is not necessarily a negative - it (maybe) seems surprising hdtvtest are not more rigorous - did I miss it ?

Soldato
... maybe re-opening an old topic but is ks7000 a genuine 10bit.
Topic was much discussed on avforums , and not discussed in the hdtvtest, which repeated the ambiguous samsung response in the comments

I guess no one took the back off (unintended pun) and counted the width of the bus going into the panel - anyway if the colour gamut is present, even if it were 8 bit (like the confirmed 750 Panasonics) then it is not necessarily a negative - it (maybe) seems surprising hdtvtest are not more rigorous - did I miss it ?

Well according to this site the samsung ks7000 is actually using a 8bit panel+frc its the ks8000 that uses a true 10 bit panel:)

http://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/02f2431

Soldato
Specifications of the Samsung KS7000 / KS7500:

Edge LED TV Ultra HD (3840 x 2160 pixels)
Local Dimming Micro Dimming and UHD
Ultra HD Premium Certification
Curved slab on the KS7500, flat slab on the KS7000
Auto Depth Enhancer only on the KS7500
No 3D compatibility
IPS on versions 43 "and 49" VA panels on 55 "and 65"
360 Boundless Design without visible frame and ultra slim
Dalle 10 bits and 120 Hz Ultra Clear Panel Pro
Supreme Motion: Picture Quality Index (PQI) 2000
Black and Black Ultra Precision: Local Dimming associated with a surface nanostructure Moth Eyes
Peak Illuminator Pro and improved conversion SDR / HDR
HDR10 compatibility
Pic bright 1000 nits
New improved Q.Dot structure with phosphor diodes
Color Space: 96% of DCI / P3
video processor SUHD Re-mastering Engine with 4K upscaling
video processing Ultra Clear View
Quad Core Processor
Compatibility HEVC / H.265 and VP9 for multimedia, VOD and TV channels 4K streaming
HDMI 2.0a connectors compatible Rec.2020, HDR10 and HDCP 2.2
Single Tuner (AVC / HEVC) DVB-T2, DVB-C, DVB-S2: TNT-HD 2.0 (HbbTV), Cable and Satellite
Recording programs via USB, Timeshift, EPG owner
PIP function possible with external source
Compatible Wireless Audio System (WISA)
DTS Premium Sound 5.1 (bitstream DTS 5.1 via Optical and HDMI ARC)
DLNA 1.5 with integrated Wi-Fi and HbbTV
Smart TV Tizen: VOD 4K, Smart Hub, AllSare Play, Family Story (theme family), Your Health (relaxation theme), Kids Story (children's themes), Internet @ TV, Samsung Apps, Web Browser, Skype 720p and hundreds other applications, games, etc.
VOD Netflix 4K, 4K Amazon Instant Video, Comcast, DIRECTV; M-GO
Interface with new features in Tizen
Access to PlayStation Now
Smart Interaction: Voice control and movement, facial recognition
Smart View: + second screen content sharing
Quick Connect & Multi-Link Screen Function
Housing Mini One Connect to deport all the connections and part of the processors
Available in May in 43 ", 49", 55 ", 60" and 65 "with:

Soldato
The Samsung UK web site is ambiguous about 10 bit and says

Display

10 bit Support

Yes

and, more interesting, about validating manufacturer specs. this excellent review says.

We verify color depth while performing our picture test. We first send our gradient test photo to our TV over an 8-bit signal and note the appearance of the gradient. We then change the Photoshop signal output to 1080p @ 60 hz @ 10-bit and send it again. If the reproduction is improved, it means the TV supports 10-bit color. We do not differentiate between native 10-bit color and 8-bit color + dithering, because we score the end result of how smooth the gradient is.

conspiracy theory - microstutter issues and dithering for 8bit+frc maybe related

Also the site commenting on dithering (apart from review) gives awards
to vizio P series 4k tv - that never reached the UK ?

Man of Honour
Speaking to Richersounds, they have more 55" KS7000's on order, but likely won't get them in before the promotion finishes, meaning the price will likely be back up to £1200~ or more. Another issue is that the Samsung sets don't seem to have a headphone jack, which I use quite often, so that would be a pain (needing bluetooth headphones).

The XD9305 is looking quite appealing at £1249, does it have any major issues the various reviews could have missed out? It certainly looks a great all rounder, and the various horror stories about Samsung panels and general quality control don't fill me with confidence. Beyond that, stumping up £1750 for the LG OLED is tempting, but I'm not sure it's entirely worthwhile.

Any more considerations or is the 9305 pretty much untouchable at this price point?

Associate
Just thought I would post*my experience with currys today and the 49" version of this TV.

I was going to buy it on boxing day at RS but they were queuing around the block so went to currys instead. Got the TV and set it up and it all looked fine. Two days later while I was setting the HDD up to record I had the*TV on for the first time (PS4*only before hand) and*noticed I had a line of pixels*slightly off centre going up the screen that were slightly off colour and depending on the background image it looked like my TV was split in two half's. *

Today I took it in to be exchanged, all went well and*was easy enough. Confirmed in store that the replacement was a new unopened TV. I have*just packed it back up after noticing this is clearly not the case.*The feet and back of the tv had no protective covering, both the front and back had clear water marks*along with a lot of scratches on the back panel. Plus the bag*holding the manual was opened.

The bag with the power lead and remotes was still unopened so my guess is the first owner saw the state of the front/back plastic and took it straight back without powering it up. *

Safe to say tomorrow its going back for a refund and I'm going to ring around RS to try and find one with stock and get it from them instead.

Sam

Sam

Soldato
Had mine delivered on Tuesday and the one connect box has an issue with the HDMI devices. Tivo and google chrome do not work at all, Xbox one only shows in SD.

After multiple calls to JL and Samsung through JL they have confirmed its faulty. It looks like the one connect box has a failure. John Lewis are out of stock but they have given me a good will gesture towards the 60" version that is in stock.

So now i cant use my Virgin TIVO box or Xbox until i have a new TV - fuming ...

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Had mine delivered on Tuesday and the one connect box has an issue with the HDMI devices. Tivo and google chrome do not work at all, Xbox one only shows in SD.

After multiple calls to JL and Samsung through JL they have confirmed its faulty. It looks like the one connect box has a failure. John Lewis are out of stock but they have given me a good will gesture towards the 60" version that is in stock.

So now i cant use my Virgin TIVO box or Xbox until i have a new TV - fuming ...

so you got the 60" for free?

QC on these things seems a bit naff tbh.

Soldato
So I have recently got a 55 KS7500.

Its been great, looks solid but occasionally when Im watching football I get what looks like slight stuttering, it only occurs about once ever 20 minutes or so and lasts literally 1 second but its annoying me.

Is this a fault with the set? is it a setting I need to change? - True motion is off.

Back
Top Bottom