Renault Clio 2.0 VVT Dynamique S

Associate
Anyone have one of these?

My son has his eye on one at a local dealer. This would be his first car and he doesnt even turn 17 until February. I told him he is stupid and to go for a 1.2/1.4 for a first car but surprisingly the insurance quotes are very good, think he said £600 with me as a named driver (and thats with him on a provisional!!)

Are there any pitfalls or things to look out for on this or Clios in general?

TIA

Soldato
I don't know anything about the car, but with the insurance check that they won't increase it when he gets his full licence. Most companies do, and by vast amounts - a young driver driving alone is far more of a risk than a young driver driving with their parents in the car.

Associate
Check to see how much the insurance is with a full license.

With a provisional there will always be someone sat next to him, the day he passes he could be doing 120mph down the M2 with his hair on fire.....

Soldato
Just did a quote for him as a newly passed driver and talking 3K now.....back to the 1.2 i think!!

Rather than Focusing purely on engine size, try to look at cars that, whilst low performance, are not normally bought by young drivers. For instance, when I as 17 a 1.6 Octavia was much cheaper to insure than a 1.2 Corsa. Both equally slow, but the Corsa was considered more risky by the insurance companies as they were crashed a lot more.

Associate
Rather than Focusing purely on engine size, try to look at cars that, whilst low performance, are not normally bought by young drivers. For instance, when I as 17 a 1.6 Octavia was much cheaper to insure than a 1.2 Corsa. Both equally slow, but the Corsa was considered more risky by the insurance companies as they were crashed a lot more.

Pretty much this, a 1.6 octavia or a 1.8 mondeo will be a safer place to be in the event of a crash as well.

Associate
OP
He originally wanted a Mini Cooper but but even the base 1.6 is way too much to insure. He now seems set on a Clio or Punto 1.2/1.4 Sport editions but is being a bit rebellious and not taking much notice of me! That said, I was exactly the same and had a Pug 309GTI within 6 months of passing my test.

He has max £2.5k for the car and has £1k already towards insurance so its just a case of waiting until the right car comes along.

Soldato
I had a 2002/52 Clio 1.2 16v when I passed my test 6 years ago, we still have the car now as my mother drives it.

For a French car it was surprisingly reliable, quite nippy but it weighed less than a ton so not surprising and it was cheap to run.

now with over 100k on the clock its still going strong.

That's what £2k got me, if he's set on a Clio, I'd be looking at the 1.2 TCe's.

Soldato
Unfortunately you sometimes just have to have something a bit **** to start with.

I had a basic 1.0 Corsa for about 6 months but then moved to an '03 Cooper and then changed again a year after that.

The insurance will become more reasonable fairly quickly so I would suggest going slow and just change the car in a year if he wants something with more poke.

Associate
1.2 2001 Fiat Punto for my first car. 3k and only 25k miles on it. Think my first year of insurance at 18 in 2005 was about £950. Great little car, certainly didn't need much more than that at the time and it helped me build up my NCD.

Seems a little crazy to go for a car with really high insurance right from the off.

Associate
OP
We saw a 2006 Clio 1.4 16v Dynamique S yesterday and have paid deposit for it. Seems a very tidy example and has great history and new MOT.

Thanks for all the advice.

Back
Top Bottom