*** The 2017 Gym Rats Thread ***

Associate
Hey all!

So having been going to the gym for 8 months now, I've been doing a body part split from the beginning.

I feel now I want to try a new programme, ppl, I've looked online and seen so many different routines, I know it's all personal opinion on what is best but I saw this one and it looks like something I'd like to do, just wanted a more experienced take on it if some of you don't mind having a look for me, cheers guys!

Hard to really judge or suggest a program without understanding your goals. What are you looking to achieve - strength? Mass? Do you play a sport that you're looking to enhance with weights? Or do you just want to look good in a T-shirt?!

The more specific you can be the more tailored the program can be.

Associate
Hard to really judge or suggest a program without understanding your goals. What are you looking to achieve - strength? Mass? Do you play a sport that you're looking to enhance with weights? Or do you just want to look good in a T-shirt?!

The more specific you can be the more tailored the program can be.

Hey, sorry for the lack of info!

My main goal currently is mass but I do enjoy. Strength training also and I don't play any sports.

Thanks.

Associate
So after a couple of month of not going to the gym due to illness and work being busy over xmas, ordered a few bits to get back into fitness and the gym.

The following in progress pics from around June - October last year:

If I am being honest I was going to the gym and doing things ad-hoc and not really having any structure to my week... i.e. leg day, chest and shoulder day etc, I would just mix it up.

The gym I go to has a selection of machines, but I mainly used freeweights and the cable machine for doing my chest and arms whilst legs were mainly done with squats and dumbells to help with the weight.

My sets were usually 3 x 12...is this the correct way to go about things?

As for diet the wife is on slimming world so we eat fairly well anyway, I just add the after workout protein shake and extra carbs at lunch in way of pasta.

If anyone can point me out into some new things I could try very much appreciated.

Good luck for 2017 all!

I had good results varying everything from week to week. Before I was injured (work injury) I did two cycles of Push Pull Cardio Legs on alternate weeks.

Week A was 4x 8-12 straight sets of certain exercises, 4x15-20 of others (Calves/Weighted Sits etc) with HIIT style cardio.

Week B was strictly 3 and 5x5 reps of simple power moves such as squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press and Bent Over Rows with steady state cardio. Deadlift was 3x5.

I also chucked in some bodyweight circuits, used the RMC fitness tool to build my circuits up and they help both my conditioning and physique.

Personally I'm dreading going back ive been off since the beginning of November due to combined exertion headache and work injury. I'm going to have to start again with my weights in my diary :(

Soldato
Hey all!

So having been going to the gym for 8 months now, I've been doing a body part split from the beginning.

I feel now I want to try a new programme, ppl, I've looked online and seen so many different routines, I know it's all personal opinion on what is best but I saw this one and it looks like something I'd like to do, just wanted a more experienced take on it if some of you don't mind having a look for me, cheers guys!

I changed to ppl this year and the programme I'm using is almost identical to this except I don't have deadlifts on leg day, just take a day off them on alternating pull days. I played my first rugby game of the year Saturday and am still really sore now. Not sure if I should do legs which is next or do an easier day with some arms and abs.

Tea Drinker
Don
First night back at boxing tonight since before Christmas. Absolutely cream crackered. Two hours of nearly throwing up and I now ache ache ache.

Pair of gloves. Best bit of fitness kit around.

Associate
I changed to ppl this year and the programme I'm using is almost identical to this except I don't have deadlifts on leg day, just take a day off them on alternating pull days. I played my first rugby game of the year Saturday and am still really sore now. Not sure if I should do legs which is next or do an easier day with some arms and abs.

How are you doing the programme? I'm doing 2 on 1 off currently. Not sure if it's the best way to do it or not.

Soldato
Thrown myself back into the gym and football the last 2 weeks and started to nail down the diet. Its simple really, I need to do what I know is effective and proven to work and keep the faith.
I have changed crossfit box to fit with my schedule better, trying to stop work travel to london on days where I have a game of football (when possible) so I'm not missing out of extra cardio.

Back
Top Bottom