Who pays postage?

Associate
Hi, I bought an item from a site which was faulty, so I asked the seller I would like to return the item at my cost for a refund since the listing clearly stated 30 days refund (buyer pays postage). The seller automatically decided to send me another one and when I queried it he said faulty items are best replaced rather than refunded. Now I need to return both items. Who should pay for postage?

Man of Honour
Seller, the seller also should have paid for the return for the original faulty item anyway. The buyer is only responsible for return postage within those 30 days if they just decide they don't want it anymore.

Associate
If just incompatible I'd say the buyer is responsible, as you would need to check compatibility before purchasing.
Edit: for both items though I guess a split of the cost considering the seller sent another one out without consent to do so.

Last edited:
Soldato
So was it actually faulty or not?

They are within their rights to replace and not refund if faulty.

If the first one wasn't faulty and you were trying to claim that just to get out of the return postage, then they are within their right to charge you the cost of the return postage. This is why a lot of companies will only refund it back to you once the item is found to be faulty rather than paying up front.

Associate
OP
So was it actually faulty or not?

They are within their rights to replace and not refund if faulty.

If the first one wasn't faulty and you were trying to claim that just to get out of the return postage, then they are within their right to charge you the cost of the return postage. This is why a lot of companies will only refund it back to you once the item is found to be faulty rather than paying up front.

That's true but the listing specified full refund buyer pays postage. I was prepared to send it back at my cost since I wasn't sure whether it was faulty or not. I requested a rma for a refund but the seller decided to send me a replacement and now I have two. Now he wants me to return both at my cost but I'm only willing to pay the return postage for one.

Soldato
If you wanted to return within the 30 days stated then you are perfectly entitled to do so at your cost. It seems to me where it has gone wrong is that you have stated it was faulty, resulting in a new item being sent. Had the initial return been on the basis of "I ordered the wrong one" then a replacement would not have been sent, so I can kind of see the sellers position on this one. Can they not be packaged together and sent as one item for a similar cost?

Associate
OP
You should have just been honest and returned the original for the real reason instead of saying it was "faulty"

It didn't matter because I was willing to pay the postage and was waiting for a rma number but instead he sent out a replacement. I'm still happy to send one back at my cost but he has to collect the other.

Associate
OP
the buyer should. he bought incompatible item. thats not the sellers problem.

they weren't 'faulty' just incorrect for the use required.

and as for the double postage. just put them both back in the same package when the rma is sorted.

I was actually honest with the seller and told him I was not 100% sure if it was faulty or not and would like to return the item for a refund but he sent me out a replacement. I'm willing to ship one back at my cost but the other he has to collect.

Back
Top Bottom