Steam link gaming thread.

Associate
On a related note, I go to my PC and click on the start button in rusts pop up menu an load the game normally, I then move to steam link and I no longer have ANY control of the the game.

The steam link is a wonderful bit of kit when it works, but in my experience there are still issues with games with an option screen and additional DRM before the game launches

Soldato
I have trouble with games that have another screen to click on after I start the (like Rust's option screen, Batman Arkham City options screen or GTA'5 social club) and I have yet to get Origin's games working (don't own bf1)

Any ideas?

Had this since launch and the improvements have been fantastic
Still hate the controller though!

I was using a wireless keyboard with the dongle plugged into the PC. Got one of the cheap handheld ones with a track pad.

Don't seem to need it anymore though.

Soldato
Some advise please been reading that your pc spec plays apart more than just your Internet, I'm on fibre but I wonder if my pc would handle it well too. My spec is an amd fx 6100, 16gb hyper x fury 1600, amd rx 470, a cheap Asus motherboard :( my broadband is fibre 36mbps and before you all say it yes I know I need Intel!

Associate
Some advise please been reading that your pc spec plays apart more than just your Internet, I'm on fibre but I wonder if my pc would handle it well too. My spec is an amd fx 6100, 16gb hyper x fury 1600, amd rx 470, a cheap Asus motherboard :( my broadband is fibre 36mbps and before you all say it yes I know I need Intel!

Your Internet plays no part in it whatsoever, Steam Link is on the same network as your PC, so only goes through the router.

I'm not sure your question is clear, what are you worried about not working well? The quality of the stream? That's down to the network speed and type (wired or wireless) and the quality of the machine displaying the stream. If you're worried about that spec running the stream well, then don't, it looks like plenty.

Soldato
Your Internet plays no part in it whatsoever, Steam Link is on the same network as your PC, so only goes through the router.

I'm not sure your question is clear, what are you worried about not working well? The quality of the stream? That's down to the network speed and type (wired or wireless) and the quality of the machine displaying the stream. If you're worried about that spec running the stream well, then don't, it looks like plenty.

Just worried it wont work well, if i purchase one ill used it wired, via powerline adapters, my network at home is good over all since i changed router earlier in the month.

When i was looking on eBay at them some listing say its uk and has HDMI and full 60fps and then other listings dont state anything besides its a steam link, Did Valve make 2 versions of the link?

Associate
Just worried it wont work well, if i purchase one ill used it wired, via powerline adapters, my network at home is good over all since i changed router earlier in the month.

When i was looking on eBay at them some listing say its uk and has HDMI and full 60fps and then other listings dont state anything besides its a steam link, Did Valve make 2 versions of the link?

Not that I'm aware of Mark. The Steam link comes with a universal adapter so it's for a multitude of markets (in fact, working out how the hell to put the UK bit on the adapter was probably the only onerous thing about the product for me, I have bursts of stupid, it's my thing. I got mine from Game btw).

I use mine wired to a 8-port network hub, which my PC is also hard-wired into, this hub is then going directly into one of the ports on the Sky router. I initially experienced quite fluctuating quality of stream, but fixed that by going into the options of the Steam Link and forcing 1080p (and every other setting that said quality first). It works perfectly (I'm exaggerating a tad there), apart from one time it dropped connection in the middle of a game of Heroes of the Storm (which had me dashing into the other room to pick up the game on the main PC). I've also noticed when changing screens on Stardew Valley, rather than a smooth fade to black and fade back to display, it gets a little "noisy", for want of a better description, doesn't affect gameplay in any way, but it isn't a perfect reflection of playing directly on the PC. This "may" be due to my using a freesync monitor at 144hz and streaming to 60hz? maybe? Like I say, no game changer in any way shape or form, just something I noticed.

I hear they work really well with powerline ethernet, but my experience of those is intermittent packet loss. I used to lose my Mumble connection quite often when using them, which is why I went hard wired. Having said that WoW and other online games experienced no difficulties with powerline ethernet, it was just my chat client.

If you are hovering over the buy button and they're still 16 quid, click now, I'd be surprised if you were disappointed, they're a very decent bit of kit for 16 notes, even if they aren't perfect (though I have no big complaints about mine)

Last edited:
Soldato
Not that I'm aware of Mark. The Steam link comes with a universal adapter so it's for a multitude of markets (in fact, working out how the hell to put the UK bit on the adapter was probably the only onerous thing about the product for me, I have bursts of stupid, it's my thing. I got mine from Game btw).

I use mine wired to a 8-port network hub, which my PC is also hard-wired into, this hub is then going directly into one of the ports on the Sky router. I initially experienced quite fluctuating quality of stream, but fixed that by going into the options of the Steam Link and forcing 1080p (and every other setting that said quality first). It works perfectly (I'm exaggerating a tad there), apart from one time it dropped connection in the middle of a game of Heroes of the Storm (which had me dashing into the other room to pick up the game on the main PC). I've also noticed when changing screens on Stardew Valley, rather than a smooth fade to black and fade back to display, it gets a little "noisy", for want of a better description, doesn't affect gameplay in any way, but it isn't a perfect reflection of playing directly on the PC. This "may" be due to my using a freesync monitor at 144hz and streaming to 60hz? maybe? Like I say, no game changer in any way shape or form, just something I noticed.

I hear they work really well with powerline ethernet, but my experience of those is intermittent packet loss. I used to lose my Mumble connection quite often when using them, which is why I went hard wired. Having said that WoW and other online games experienced no difficulties with powerline ethernet, it was just my chat client.

If you are hovering over the buy button and they're still 16 quid, click now, I'd be surprised if you were disappointed, they're a very decent bit of kit for 16 notes, even if they aren't perfect (though I have no big complaints about mine)

Cheers for that cheapest I can find is 26 at the moment I have a ps4 pad and 360 pad so I'm okay on that front at least

Associate
anyone got Win10 games working with the link yet?

Not sure if this is similar problem for me but I can't seem to transfer Forza 6 apex to steam so I can't play it through Steam link.

Can anybody give me a guide on how to do this. I can't add it the same way I would say FIFA 15. Although I haven't properly done FIFA I can't easily see how but with Forza it won't bring across the entire game.

Associate
Not sure if this is similar problem for me but I can't seem to transfer Forza 6 apex to steam so I can't play it through Steam link.

Can anybody give me a guide on how to do this. I can't add it the same way I would say FIFA 15. Although I haven't properly done FIFA I can't easily see how but with Forza it won't bring across the entire game.

I haven't tried it with Forza Apex but can't you just minimise Steam and load it straight from the desktop. It's what I did for GOW4 or any non steam games.

Associate
So that worked for you with Gears of War 4???? Do you have any other Win10 games you could try it with?

It worked perfectly fine ... I didn't like using the Steam Controller but didn't have time to test with a Xbox One Controller.

Yeah I can test some others that I have later, Forza 6 and Tomb Raider

Last edited:
Soldato
So bought one and Initial worked fine now it moans about ports 27031 I opened them and now you click connect and it just flashes back to main menu you click connect and it just repeats this??

Soldato
I use a Razer Turret so I have full m/k control, my issue when a screen like this pops up I can't actually click any buttons with my cursor, tried with the steam controller too, nothing happens

How are you finding the turret BTW? I'm torn between the Turret and the Roccat Sova... There are some games where I just need KB+M.

Associate
How are you finding the turret BTW? I'm torn between the Turret and the Roccat Sova... There are some games where I just need KB+M.

It was a toss up with what 1st come to market between the Turret and sova for me, I absolutely love the Turret, took me a week or so to get used to the smaller than normal mouse I'm used to, but I absolutely love it. My gaming PC is connected up to my living TV as my primary gaming monitor/tv, and use the Turret from my sofa, if the Mrs wants to watch TV, I take the Turret upstairs where my steamlink is and use it to game. Works brilliantly, I recommend the Turret as its small and just docks behind the TV when not is use, the sova is much larger and harder to hide.

Back
Top Bottom