Is this normal with car insurance?

Soldato
I've gone from £260 last year on a 51 plate Ford Focus to £320 on a 64 plate PHEV, which includes a provisional driver as well. Though I'll prepare for a bad year next year based on this lot!

Soldato
I changed car recently but mine has actually gone down some O_o

Some of these quotes for pretty run-of-the-mill cars are insane, I suppose it's because there's more of them to have claims against. A 1.6 Astra should be dirt cheap to insure, but ofc they are the barry boy car of choice, so a lot of of them end up in ditches.

Last edited:
Associate
The insurance postcode risk level does appear to be greatly increasing in importance, far beyond other factors which were traditionally given more weighting.

I paid circa £300-400/year throughout my mid 20's; some friends went from 3x to 5x that with similar cars & little/no change in circumstance.

On the one hand I approve as financially I'm personally being impacted less by scumbag multi-whiplash claims in Bradford/Birmingham/Luton etc, but on the other you have to feel for non-scummers who just want a basic car to get to work - the way it's going driving legally if you live in/near such areas will soon be the preserve of the rich.

Soldato
The silly thing is the more expensive they make it, the more people will drive around un-insured. Which makes it even more expensive :/

Soldato
The silly thing is the more expensive they make it, the more people will drive around un-insured. Which makes it even more expensive :/
But do they have to pay out for uninsured drivers, though?

What if two vehicles crash, when each is insured by the same company?

I get why it's sometimes expensive, although it's still a pain in the bum.

Soldato
But do they have to pay out for uninsured drivers, though?

As a general rule: No, not directly, but there are certain circumstances where an insurer may have to. For example if a policy holder cancels their policy, or doesn't pay, the insurer may end up being forced to pay third party costs if they are still listed as the insurer on the MID.

Also, all UK motor insurers are required to fund the MIB Levy, generally costs somewhere between 1.5 - 2.5% of their premium income a year, which will handle claims for people hit by uninsured drivers.

Associate
Some of those prices are just silly. I remember when both my brother in laws passed when they were 17-18 one had a 1.2 Festa and the other 1.6 Focus they both paid over £3000. I got my renewal the other day £340.00.

Soldato
What would help bring prices down for everyone is if they limited what new drivers are allowed to drive for a few years. So nothing hot or RWD and below X value.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'm looking at doing my licence as I could do with a slightly more sensible vehicle than just a bike and running quotes as if I'd just passed they want to charge me £2.5k as a minimum.

I'm 29 this year and I've been on the road for 3 years with no claims but none of that counts as it's on a bike, yet if I'd totalled my bike and claimed they'd use that against me.

For comparison this year's renewal for my bike is looking to be around £160 for something that can spank anything less than a hypercar performance wise.

It's all a little messed up.

Man of Honour
What if two vehicles crash, when each is insured by the same company?

Insurers under the same umbrella sometimes have bilateral agreements where to reduce admin overheads (and the amount of excessive subrogation) they will cover each other's TP liability in particular for vehicle repair and hire care.

Man of Honour
What would help bring prices down for everyone is if they limited what new drivers are allowed to drive for a few years. So nothing hot or RWD and below X value.

Generally most new drivers aren't driving those sort of cars anyway due to the cost of insurance and indeed inability to afford expensive cars.

Associate
Good opportunity to shop around and find a better quote.

Also a good time to check your personal circumstances such possible change in annual mileage / car value etc might bring it down slightly.

Associate
I'm looking at doing my licence as I could do with a slightly more sensible vehicle than just a bike and running quotes as if I'd just passed they want to charge me £2.5k as a minimum.

I'm 29 this year and I've been on the road for 3 years with no claims but none of that counts as it's on a bike, yet if I'd totalled my bike and claimed they'd use that against me.

For comparison this year's renewal for my bike is looking to be around £160 for something that can spank anything less than a hypercar performance wise.

It's all a little messed up.

Some do allow this, so it might be worth looking around.

https://yourcommunity.tescobank.com...e-moped-no-claims-discount-on-my-car/ta-p/299

Can I use my motorcycle/moped no claims discount on my car policy?

Yes, provided it isn't still being used on a current policy. We accept up to a maximum of four years no claims discount when you take out new cover with us. We will increase this for each claim free year up to a maximum of nine years.

For example, if you have five years claim free motorcycle no claims discount, we'll give up to four years when you take out your new policy and this will increase year on year.

Please check your policy wording for full details including exclusions and limitations.

Back
Top Bottom