Plex server

Associate
Hi,

I don't know the best way to go about this, hence I thought i'd ask.
I have lots of films on my hard drive which is link to free app plex.
i'm using my pc at home as the server.

Problem is, when my mum watches movies on plex at her house via her LG t.v, it makes my internet where I live very slow, even thou I have 75 Meg speed. and also if i'm gaming and she is watching a film her end, it lags like crazy. and of cause she can't watch films if i'm out and the PC is turned off!

So i'm looking at trying to work out a way where maybe I can higher a server, or buy something to leave at her place that's on 24/7, that's very quite, and i'm also able to access it to update films.
All it's for is plex only.
Would I also need to buy a hardrive is you recommend some kind of home server.

Thanks a lot :)

Plex server

Soldato
Your internet speed of 75mb is likely your download speed, ie inbound, your mum in another location streaming from your house will be using your upload / outbound speed which depending on provider can be much much lower ;)

For a local solution for her house maybe look at a little single bay NAS and sync to your media store via VPN or SSH using a manual or nightly job, get one that also has a DNLA / media server, some will run Plex or Twonky etc.

Soldato
Look at Synology or any other type of NAS that Plex supports. Install Plex, Load it up at home with the media you want, and then go over and connect it to your Mum's router. If you set it up correctly, you will be able to log in and transfer files/administer it over the internet, and it will be available for your Mum to access from her own network. Your upload speed is likely to be a lot less than your download speed (I'm guessing from your 75mbit download, you're on one of the BT resellers and so your upload is likely to be 20mbit) and not enough to support that kind of internet streaming when you want to use your internet at the same time.

You will have to check and experiment with her TV to see what formats it supports for network playback. A small, cheap, low power NAS will not be able to transcode on the fly, so you need to make sure that your Mum's TV can play the media files directly.

A possible alternative (if her TV or DVD player has a USB input) is to put a load of media onto an external USB drive, and then just plug it into her TV. You won't be able to administer it, but then you probably won't need to.

And lastly, the usual disclaimer that the media cartels will tell you that by lending your movies in any format to your Mum means that you are Satan's spawn and will destroy the film industry as it has been destroyed by every technical advancement in the last 50 years, and they will hunt you down and jail you for such temerity.

Last edited:
Soldato
Have you limited the bandwidth Plex uses for WAN streaming in the Plex settings? It could well be that the default is taking a significant portion of your upstream bandwidth. Limiting the bandwidth would probably mean that Plex would transcode media on the fly when it is being streamed remotely which would take more CPU power on your PC.

Another option would be looking at the relatively new Plex Cloud stuff where you run the Plex server and store your media in the cloud ... then your mother wathing things wouldn't affect you at all ... but this would be a pay option.

Soldato
Alternative is one of the entry level home servers.
After cashback these are currently a little over £100 but you may need a hdd.

Plex has a linux version, so free OS and a dual core CPU will help if any local transcoding is required.

Associate
OP
Is it the Hewlett Packard Enterprise ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 - servers (SATA, Intel Celeron G, G1610T, Ultra Micro tower you have?.

I have no idea what one to get.
Do I have to buy different Windows, or would win 10 work?

Thanks.

Associate
OP
You can get a QNAP for that money.

Do you also require dual bay, as its just a remote replica for your main media store you might get a more powerful single bay unit for the same money or less ;)

I got no idea what to get lol. Just want it lag free and works fast enough for her.
She's a Film nut lol

Associate
OP
Last edited:
Associate
On Synology and QNAP systems you just install Plex from the App Store. They are very easy to setup. Just put the drives in, switch them on and run through the setup wizard.

Another option is to get the new Nvidia Shield TV Pro 500GB as that can run a Plex server with full hardware transcoding.

Back
Top Bottom