BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Some advice please!

My parents sync at 40Mbit/10Mbit with a HG612. They're approximately 1-1.5km from the FTTC cabinet. The previous owner had a DIY house alarm installed and as a result the drop-wire was cut and a junction box fitted with two lines to feed the master socket and alarm. Their connection isn't very stable and has a lot of packet loss, especially via the upload.

I removed the second feed which enabled me to reduce the cable length behind the master socket by 5meters. The junction box looks quite old and there was water ingress. By removing the 5 meters of cable the speed went from 35Mbit/6Mbit to the 40/10 they get now. They still get a lot of packet loss, and I believe this is down to the break in the line via the junction box which is still getting water despite my best efforts.

Should I go one step further and move the NTE5C into the attic and bring the drop cable in there for a direct connection with no breaks and 10 less meters of (questionable quality) cable? I could put the hG612 in the loft and then use external grade CAT6 to where the old master socket was to feed the router. I'm hoping this will reduce the packet loss and give further speed bump. Would the hg612 fair ok in the loft?

I'm well aware that anything before the master socket should be Openreach only, but considering it had already been DIY'd I figured they would charge £130+ regardless of if I had called them before.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ordered a second connection on the 28th December. Install date was due to be the 19th Jan. They've just confirmed it'll now be the 7th Feb. :(

Coincidentally the latency (as a result of too many smart-devices streaming in the house) has been a non-issue since I ordered :p Oh well!

Associate
can someone confirm if using google dns allows access to certain websites (me harty), if you get my drift.

Was with BT 12 months ago and it worked, just swapped back to BT, put google dns on and i'm not getting to those sites, wondering if things have moved on since then with blocking.

Soldato
can someone confirm if using google dns allows access to certain websites (me harty), if you get my drift.

Was with BT 12 months ago and it worked, just swapped back to BT, put google dns on and i'm not getting to those sites, wondering if things have moved on since then with blocking.

I doubt it'll work - Download Opera and use their VPN, Captain ;)

Associate
it did used to work when i had BT as long as you used https, then i moved to Sky a year ago and they do deep packet inspection to stop it. Just wondering if BT has followed suit or if the DNS trick should be working for me (maybe odd issue on my end)?

Not that it matters as i have a vpn, just curiousity really as i can't find anything on this as to when it stopped working on BT, if it has at all.

Hope someone can fill me in.

Caporegime
They will maintain a list of IPs that the DNS resolves to and block connections to those. ISPs are not doing DPI on HTTPS - that's what certificates prevent.

The blocking will likely exist regardless of which ISP you choose, as long as they are a sufficiently large provider.

Man of Honour
They will maintain a list of IPs that the DNS resolves to and block connections to those. ISPs are not doing DPI on HTTPS - that's what certificates prevent.

The blocking will likely exist regardless of which ISP you choose, as long as they are a sufficiently large provider.

Agreed with all of this.

VPN or proxy are pretty much the only workarounds.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato

As said it'll be based on an IP list not DPI with encrypted traffic, or maybe even cert domains.

In order to inspect encrypted traffic the ISP would need to run one of solutions out there that perform a 'legit' man in the middle in some way.

But as Caged says unless you somehow have a cert from the ISP installed in your browser you'd get the browser popping up with cert errors.

Plus SSL/TLS inspection on their volumes of traffic, that won't be cheap :)

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I cant see any mention of this in this thread, one of the biggest changes to the nationwide FTTC network since it was implemented in terms of user experience:

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fi...t-snrm-for-fttc-next-year.html?fpart=all&vc=1

VDSL2 noise margins
Currently the default target downstream noise margin is set to 6dB.
From March 2017 the target downstream noise margin shall be set to either 3, 4, 5 or 6dB
the actual value shall be determined by the Dynamic Line Management (DLM) algorithm based on line stability.

http://www.btplc.com/sinet/SINs/pdf/498v7p2a.pdf

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Indeed, i gained a decent amount of sync at the time when moving to WBC ADSL2+ with a 3db noise target.

Hopefully the same will be true with my current VDSL2. I think it will be, as i can actually get down to a 3db target after a powercut when my router comes back after everyone elses is offline. It initially syncs high at the 6db target, the margin then slowly drops to around 3db as everyone else comes back online, but actually stays stable at the very good sync rate.

Soldato
Is this a Gfast pod or just additional VDSL lines?

9zx5p3.jpg

Associate
Is this a Gfast pod or just additional VDSL lines?

G.Fast trials are very limited so its good news if your in one of these areas but I think a wider rollout is expected much later this year

• Bolton, Greater Manchester
  • Cherry Hinton, Cambridgeshire
  • Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
  • Derby, Derbyshire
  • Donaldson, South East Scotland
  • Gillingham, Kent
  • Gosforth, Tyne & Wear
  • Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire
  • Langside, Glasgow
  • Luton, Bedfordshire
  • Rusholme, Manchester
  • St. Austell, Cornwall
  • Swansea, Wales
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
  • Sheffield
  • Balham and Upton Park in London

Soldato
Price increases coming our way, folks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38694013

BT has announced price rises for its broadband and landline services, while television customers will start having to pay for BT Sport. Broadband charges will typically rise by between 5% and 6% from 2 April, the company said. From August, BT TV subscribers will pay £3.50 a month for BT Sport, which has been free for broadband customers.

Landline customers will see phone plans increase, and the cost of calls will go up by 1p a minute. Rivals Sky, Virgin Media and TalkTalk have all announced price increases within the last year.

BT said phone rental would be frozen at £18.99a month, while the cost of a subscription to BT TV will also remain the same. The company also promised to compensate customers automatically if it fails to deliver on one of its service promises. The details will be published at a future date.

Under Ofcom rules, any customer who is unhappy with the price changes on their contract has 30 days to opt out, once they have been informed of the changes by BT.

The main rises are:-

Broadband up by £2 a month
Super-fast Infinity broadband up by £2.50 a month
BT TV customers to start paying £3.50 a month for BT Sport (from next season)
Anytime calls up by 49p to £8.99 a month

And wave goodbye to free BT Sport if you are a broadband customer.

Back
Top Bottom