Setting up own router with virgin media

Associate
Hi guys just looking for a quick little insight really. I have signed up to virgin media and installation is next week. Just wondering how easy it is or if they even allow you to set up your own router to replace their own superhub?

Caporegime
The SH3 is actually very good for a "free" product. I found the wifi range to be better than a linksys £170 router (owned by cisco) so I sent that back. Plan on running pfsense now on a virtual server then getting a ubiquitu access point for wi-fi

Soldato
A few of my mates have the SH3 all have been pretty solid with good wifi range. Personally I have the SH2ac which has also been pretty decent. I was expecting to have to use my own router but haven't needed to so far :)

As for using your own router, all you have to do is connect to the SH and tell it to go into modem only mode. Now it can be hidden away and an Ethernet cable can be run from it to your new router. Very easy to do.

Associate
A few of my mates have the SH3 all have been pretty solid with good wifi range. Personally I have the SH2ac which has also been pretty decent. I was expecting to have to use my own router but haven't needed to so far :)

As for using your own router, all you have to do is connect to the SH and tell it to go into modem only mode. Now it can be hidden away and an Ethernet cable can be run from it to your new router. Very easy to do.

Can the SH do port triggering / forwarding / NAT, I haven't looking at mine it went straight in to modem mode as soon as it was installed?

Associate
OP
Caporegime
Hi guys, thanks for all your responses. Will try this out when they have installed it.

Only setting up my own router as I have it otherwise it will be sitting around collecting dust. Might even give the SH a test and if it is as good as people are saying there will be a router for sale! =D

wifi range is good however it's not as good as a decent 3rd party solution. in terms of stability and speed IMO.

i plan on sticking mine in modem mode soon. building a PC to use as a server as well as a router running pfsense in a virtual machine and then getting a commercial access point from the ubiquiti range.

that way i kill 2 birds with 1 stone with said pc. it also won't cost me that much more than buying a decent router. i'm looking to spend £300-£400 and decent routers these days are £120-£200. for the extra £200 i will be getting a server too for media, etc.

Soldato
i plan on sticking mine in modem mode soon. building a PC to use as a server as well as a router running pfsense in a virtual machine and then getting a commercial access point from the ubiquiti range.

This is EXACTLY how my network is setup at the moment. pfSense in a VM connected to the VM hub in modem mode and Ubiquiti AP.

I can highly recommend UnRaid for your server OS :)

I also run my main Gaming/Work PC as a VM with a passed through 1070GTX.

Back
Top Bottom