The Lord of the Rings Online - Name / Class / Server thread .. etc etc

Soldato
I think it's pretty replayable, as it has so much content. Even within a zone you'll easily out level it before doing all the quests, and there are many overlapping zones, e.g. you can skip the lone lands and do the north downs instead. Plus the races have different areas for levels 1-15 or so (which are fully playable by all races).

It's a really good game once you forget about the dated engine and animations.

As for servers, it's currently like this:

Most populated overall: Brandywine and Gladden - Brandywine has always been popular, Gladden has been the recommended server for ages, and so has loads of new players.

High populations: Laurelin (RP), Landroval (RP encouraged).

Most of the others are medium to low population below the level cap. e.g. Snowbourn, Crickhollow, Evernight - all reasonable.

Last edited:

UFO

UFO

Associate
I was an avid player back in the day, purchased the lifetime founders edition. It was never the same after the introduction of the in-game store and has been dying a slow death since then I understand? There are also rumors Turbine will become a full out mobile gaming studio soon which could be damaging for LOTRO.

Associate
LOTRO is now under new management...

What’s happening:

The Lord of the Rings Online and Dungeons & Dragons Online have been acquired by Standing Stone Games, a newly-formed independent game studio made up of the same groups that have been working on LOTRO and DDO for years. We remain committed to both games, and are thrilled to be able to take these games in exciting directions for a long time to come. Standing Stone Games will operate as an independent studio, with global publishing support from Daybreak Games.

What does this mean?

It’s business as usual for both LOTRO and DDO’s operations and development. Both games will continue along their respective development paths and bring you the content you enjoy.

What is happening to Turbine?

Turbine will no longer be involved in the development of LOTRO and DDO. They will continue on the development of their products.

Permabanned
I still play. Servers have been consolidated for around a year now which has helped make things more lively. A new raid and instances were released last year which has brought a few people back to the game. The games story has obviously progressed and the epic book is now at the black gate - no idea where they will take things after the ring get destroyed but a map of Mordor is already in game and the devs said last year that Mordor would likely be a paid expansion. Make of that what you will.

Turbine (Warner Brothers) have passed the game on to Standing Stone Games and the license has been renewed. No idea how this will effect future development but there isn't a whole lot more of the well known LOTR locations to add unless they go to the extended lore which is highly probable.

Performance and lag are still an issue, particulalry in PVP and raids, but things are a little better than they were a few years ago. Balance , especially PVP, is terrible but then all MMORPGs struggle with this. Despite all the issues, when you consider the shear beauty, size and accuracy of the landscape that has been build up over the years the game is still impressive, certainly worth exploring through once as there will never be a recreation of middle earth with this size/scope again.

Soldato
Should point out that Standing Stone are still the original devs, just out on their own and free of Warner Bros. Definitely be interesting to see what they change in the new few months.

Associate
Wow, this is odd! I have always had a soft spot for LOTRO. If there's any significant changes on the horizon, I may have to have another look at it.

Permabanned
The game has been running for 10 years, I wouldn't consider it a flop... As for significant changes such as a new client etc that is almost certain not to happen. New questing zones, probably a few instances and some revamps will get added. What were you hoping for exactly?

Associate
Depends which servers you're on, I moved to Gladden with the consolidations and it's fine. Brandy and Arken are the busiest I think and a lot of the guys from Russia/Eastern Europe moved to them when their servers closed.

Permabanned
Love the LOTR, shame this gamed appeared to be such a flop.

This game was never a flop, its was still for me the most social MMO ever made, I played it a lot longer than I would have due to this. Had I not lost my account when they moved (the first time) I would still log in every few weeks/months and play to get up-to date.

Think if they ever release this game again with 2 full factions would be brilliant.

Soldato
Probably my third favourite MMORPG after Ultima Online and Dark Age of Camelot. The biggest issue was the lack of character v character combat but the pve side was very, very well done as it slotted in well with the stories.

Shame more people didn't give it a try early on though.

Soldato
OP
Tomorrow on the 24th April Lord of the Rings Online was released a mere 10 years ago !!! (or around this date)

Possibly my favourite MMo of all time (if we can casually forget SWG).

I used to love the Ettenmoors, mainly as a creep and being vastly outnumbered but it was hours of fun and broke up the grind of levelling your freep(s). Sadly, I don't think we'll ever see MMo's of this depth/nature again.

Back
Top Bottom