When to replace tyres?

Soldato
Hmm, i have found the RE050s to be a pretty good tyre to be honest. I'm not the type of person who drives on the limit though. So maybe I'm not the best person to judge them.

Can you recommend a better tyre for under £100 then? I had continentals on my old z4 and thought they felt a little squishy in the sidewalls.

Edit: actually come to think of it, i think it was pzeros that had squishy sidewalls.

The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 will be a worthy tyre for you. An incredibly good all rounder, well priced and released in 2016.

I've had pretty much every decent high performance tyre there has been in the last 10 years, and in the wet, the RE050A was similar to cheap Chinese tyres. They were mediocre in ~2005 when they were released - today they're so far behind the competition, they're not even worth considering.

Soldato
I thought the M5 immense power as it continually spun the crappy rear P-Zeros. But in actualy fact it was because they had 1.8mm of tread. Still, P-Zeros are cack so I swapped them for the tyre that the M5 originally came with, MPSS and it's night and day, even in this cold snap we're going through.

Change them when you hit the legal limit or you start to lose confidence in the cars grip.

Even the Fiesta ST will spin the P-Zeros. They are actually worse than some budget tyres and pretty much only work when hot.

Annoyingly a lot of cars come with them pre-fitted :/

Soldato
In your size the AS3's are £114 a corner fitted from the same place - but you'd obviously shop around.
The AS3's and AS2's before them are "XL" rated which I was given the impression means stiffer side-walls (waits to be told no, that isn't the case).

Soldato
[TW]Fox;30436804 said:
I have the the Pzeros too and they are absolutely terrible. My 530d spins the rears under partial throttle so I can only imagine how pathetic they are in an M5.

Sadly, my MY fell inline with the shortage of MPSS which was the M5 tyre of choice. Because of the shortage, an entire MY was put out with PZero. So currently, I have MPSS on the read, and 6mm life left of PZero on the front....

FML :(

Man of Honour
The condition of the tyres is good, with even wear. So I'm thinking they are ok for the time being.

I'll be keeping my eyes open for a deal on a pair of bridgestones in the meantime.

Best i can find at the moment is around £100 each.

Rotate them, if the backs aren't wearing as much as the fronts.

Soldato
I just had my rears changed out which both had around 3mm left on them, notice the lack of grip especially when it's wet and cold but if it had been the summer I might have left them on for a few miles more :)

I tend to do the same. Regardless of the tread depth sometimes they feel just, off on grip.

Whack a new set on and you can feel the difference virtually instantly.

I have chucked loads of tyres away recently well above the legal limit. I am sure the rubber just goes off.

Sorry not very technical but when the car starts to feel nervous it is new boot time.

Soldato
Sadly, my MY fell inline with the shortage of MPSS which was the M5 tyre of choice. Because of the shortage, an entire MY was put out with PZero. So currently, I have MPSS on the read, and 6mm life left of PZero on the front....

FML :(

Change them then, not like you can't afford it if you're rolling in a new M5. IME mismatched tyres front to rear ruins the handling of just about any car.

Associate
Currently my rear tyres have about 4.5mm and my fronts about 3mm. I know the legal limit is 1.6mm, so i should be fine to pass next months mot.

I was just wondering what point people on here replace them? I know wet performance starts to drop off under 3mm on the cheaper tyres. Mine are bridgestone potenza re050, so decent brand.

I use tyrereviews.com to review my tyres...just gone from part worn Michelin Pilots and Bridgestone Potenza's to Uniroyal Rainsports 3...18 inch £60 a corner...superb, great reviews albeit negative is wear rate apparently

Associate
My tyres are 245/40/R18

Actually, it was goodyear f1's i had on the z4. They gripped very well, but never felt really solid. A lot of flex in the sidewalls.

Just seen this post...mine are 225/40/R18's £60 Uniroyals Rainsport 3 - Camskill website...excellent grip, car pulls better (which must have been due to part worn just not being as grippy)

Cant recommend them highly enough and especially in the latest weather.

Back
Top Bottom