Replacing Sink - No Experience

Soldato
Can i likely replace this bathroom sink without burning the house down if i've no real plumbing experience? Im not a buffoon by any stretch.

The main thing is detailed in the below.

eLakP3T.jpg
nzn0gA0.jpg
JXoXMq1.jpg

It's a really small En Suite, and the sink currently uses up loads of that space. I want to put a skinny sink with side loaded tap in to save space.

Concerns: That box that runs around the bottom of the wall is presumably plumbing for the bog. The pipes for the sink come up IN FRONT of that box. Does it look like i'll need to somehow set the piping back in order to fit into the cupboard below a skinny sink?

Somethign like this:
YbfSa4D.jpg

Im not worried about cutting the bottom of the cupboard to go over the box thing.

Also the current sink sits on a plinth. Im not sure i have the skills to go to a wallmount. Has anyone seen plinth or cupboard mounted skinny sinks that arent wall mounted?

(Excuse the mess, room has been untouched since moving)

Soldato
A lot of sinks are actually wall mounted, its just 2 brackets that clip up underneath the back of the sink, the pedestal supports it and you should be able to see yours if you get your head under it.

I'm not sure I would trust a free standing sink with only a cupboard underneath for support unless said cupboard was solid wood.

With what I think you have in mind, it looks a simple enough job. Use the existing water pipes but with new flexible hose connectors.
You will probably need a new sink trap too, Screwfix have a various options.

We had something akin to this in our bathroom before we moved. Solid walls help.

Soldato
OP
I just had a look and I can't see any brackets. It seems to be screwed into the wall at the bottom which I suspect is just to hold it flush and the weight of it is on the plinth.

The walls are going to be plasterboard I suspect, like the rest of the house. They certainly sound hollow to knock on.

Soldato
Basin not sink! lol sinks goesin kitchens. Fairly straightforward job. The boxing is just hiding waste that runs around the wall, they also ran you water pipes and radiator pipes since it was going spare. The vanity style basin will probably work. You will need to do abit of rijigging with the trap and waste, you can keep the old inline traps, they are good and save space. Also with the vanity style it will cover up any mess from the old basin fixings etc. If your not confident just use some push fit fittings to plumb the new taps in, chances are if you get a package deal, they will be monoblock taps which will come with flexible tails.

Back
Top Bottom