Still a QC lottery in Jan '17?

Associate
@DragonQ:
But isn't that 24WMGX3 a 60Hz 24" AMVA with a retail price of 800€+ (£700)? When corrected for inflation, that would make about 1000€ (£850) today. (using http://inflation.stephenmorley.org/ and http://x-rates.com/)

For those more interested, here are reviews of the 24WMGX3:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/nec_24wmgx3.htm
http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2009/review-nec-24wmgx3.html

Compared to all the bells and whistles of the Samsung C34F791WQU, for example, we can see just how rapidly we've moved in 8 years. So can we realistically expect the same quality control with the C34F791WQU, let alone some low-budget tier monitors?

Then again, for comparison my Acer XZ321Q from 2016 (500€/£430), using the Black Screen -test of https://www.yofla.com/black-screen/, inside the spoiler:

Dislaimer:
In the middle of the night without lights -shot, the light shines through slightly more than what the image shows, probably a cause of camera's auto-ISO setting adjusting the base luminance for the white text, cursor and power button LED. So a full black screen might have been better for comparison. But when there is something on the screen, it prevents (potentially hidden) dynamic backlight etc. features from being enabled, which I find more beneficial. Also, the camera would have still made the same adjustment because of the power button LED (which is even more profound in the 24WMGX3's sample shot, btw).

On the other hand, the normal lighting shot is exaggerating the effect somewhat, so the actual result would be somewhere between them. Anyway, the XZ321Q's screen is indeed very dark. And in all honesty, under normal lighting conditions even reflections are more noticeable, and we're talking about an anti-glare screen!

Nevertheless, I'm guessing my unit being as good as it is might have something to do with the fact that I bought it as soon as it was available in my country. So the manufacturers might be giving extra care for the first units, to improve the market's first impression.
That doesn't look bad at all! So, what do we have as improvements?
Bigger size, higher refresh rate, faster response time, lower input lag, lower power consumption (and less heat), thinner bezels and chassis, lighter weight (and we're talking about 24"-vs-32" here!!), flicker-free, curved screen, FreeSync, lower price (even without inflation).

Although, from what I've heard, Acer's customer support is awful nowadays. So I'd forgive some price difference for NEC, in that regard.

Related to this:
From what I've understood, most of the current cheap mass-marketed IPS screens were/are based on the eIPS or AH-IPS evolutions, which improved upon the response times and manufacturing costs, but sacrificed on other areas (light leakage, IPS glow?). But customers (especially gamers) showed that they'd indeed rather buy a faster £300 eIPS/AH-IPS than a slower £600 H-IPS/P-IPS (IIRC the types). Then there's AHVA, which isn't apparently a direct successor to any of the above, but is still regarded as IPS (even though it has -VA on its name). But pricing follows more closely the budget class eIPS and AH-IPS, with the same focus on improving response times, so I'm guessing the sacrifices might be on the same scale?

Another factor might be the backlighting system, in itself. In 2008 (and also in case of 24WMGX3), the CCFL backlight was still common. This type is directly at the back of the panel in multiple light strips, whereas the currently ubiquitous edge-lit LED solution is, like the name suggests, shining the light from the edge(s). As such, it's harder to maintain a consistent result.

Soldato
I got my NEC 24WMGX3 for £420 from OcUK in mid-2009. Not sure if the retail price was dropped a lot by that point or whether it was heavily discounted.

Associate
@eddiew

Went through 2x Dell U2515H both had some BLB, one just less than the other. The worse one I could not have say a desktop wallpaper with whole black background with say logo in middle, you would notice the BLB even with lighting on in the evening and low brightness.

Been through 4x MG279Q, most had some form of BLB. 2x of them has pressure marks. 1x was perfect on BLB but developed dead pixels, strangely all in a diagonal row ~2-3mm across. Asus support recommended I return it to etailer as direct RMA would be refurb screen which may have cosmetic usage signs :( . So I returned to the "rainforest", 4th screen luckily has very slight BLB, that you only notice on crazy brightness (ie >70) which I don't use, this has one semi dark pixel which you can only see if few inches away from screen and viewing area directly face on, which I don't as it's far right lower corner section about 5cm up and 2cm in.

I wasn't gonna use Asus RMA but even chatting to them and highlighting quality of screens they really weren't interested in noting issues and forwarding to say a team that may do something.

Soldato
OP
...But customers (especially gamers) showed that they'd indeed rather buy a faster £300 eIPS/AH-IPS than a slower £600 H-IPS/P-IPS (IIRC the types)...

The problem there is the way it was presented. "Slower response for more money or faster response for less." Of course everyone opted for the cheaper one, it sounds better and cheaper!

...except that it's only better with regard to the numbers on the box. "1ms response", and "1000:1 contrast" are nice labels and they sound good to Joe Average. Colour/brightness uniformity on the other hand, doesn't fit very well into those box labels, so it got buried and it isn't even mentioned at the point of sale. Result, Joe ended up buying a crapton of monitors which sounded better, but came with their own problems.

Not saying you're wrong about why the market went the way it did, just that I think it was became a race to the bottom, using consumer ignorance to justify itself. We no longer have a state of "let's make the best" but "let's make the cheapest".

What frustrates me most is the lack of choice. As far as I can tell, even the premium manufacturers like NEC, Eizo, and Dell are sourcing their panels from the same place. Ok, they probably get first dibs on the grade-A stock, but when it's a technology that's full of flaws anyway it still doesn't guarantee a good experience. Not one manufacturer seems willing to say "yes, our screens are flawless" at any price :(

Soldato
Been through 4x MG279Q, most had some form of BLB. 2x of them has pressure marks. 1x was perfect on BLB but developed dead pixels, strangely all in a diagonal row ~2-3mm across. Asus support recommended I return it to etailer as direct RMA would be refurb screen which may have cosmetic usage signs :( . So I returned to the "rainforest", 4th screen luckily has very slight BLB, that you only notice on crazy brightness (ie >70) which I don't use, this has one semi dark pixel which you can only see if few inches away from screen and viewing area directly face on, which I don't as it's far right lower corner section about 5cm up and 2cm in.

I wasn't gonna use Asus RMA but even chatting to them and highlighting quality of screens they really weren't interested in noting issues and forwarding to say a team that may do something.
Yeah dealing directly with "the rainforest" is the best way of doing it. I fully anticipate not getting a good panel immediately but at least their returns are free. Either I'll get a good one eventually or just give up and get my money back.

Soldato
OP

Yer, and that's basically what scares me off even trying to buy a new screen :/

We can only conclude that all the manufacturers know they're producing tat - but they're so far down the line of cheap at any cost that they can't get back out of that hole. As per post above, they've raced to the bottom on prices because the overall market asked them to, and they can't raise quality without raising the price - which will result in not selling because everyone thinks a 27" screen should only cost £300...

But I don't get how come nobody is making proper good premium panels for the high-end and professional market. Surely there's a niche? I can't be alone in wanting a large screen, with "good enough" response times and "excellent" colour accuracy/uniformity?

Soldato
OP
Yeah dealing directly with "the rainforest" is the best way of doing it. I fully anticipate not getting a good panel immediately but at least their returns are free. Either I'll get a good one eventually or just give up and get my money back.

Hmm... only returned one to them so far and that was a year ago. Maybe I could risk another punt.

Not wanting to bash OCUK here, but when I did the same with them they were initially a bit resistant to the RMA request and tried to send me to BenQ. Bit nervous to try again, especially with the £1000 Dell that I'm considering.

Soldato
Hmm... only returned one to them so far and that was a year ago. Maybe I could risk another punt.
Not sure how they'd feel about that a year on, I was meaning more just after purchase.

Not wanting to bash OCUK here, but when I did the same with them they were initially a bit resistant to the RMA request and tried to send me to BenQ. Bit nervous to try again, especially with the £1000 Dell that I'm considering.
I don't recall having issues with OcUK specifically but it is annoying when manufacturers and retailers play pass-the-buck with RMAs.

Soldato
OP
Not sure how they'd feel about that a year on, I was meaning more just after purchase.

Oh, yeah, at the time it was a "used it for a weekend, hated it" return for refund. But I'm aware they do have such thing as a blacklist for serial returners. So far I've sent back around £700 worth of hardware over the last few years, so I dunno how much further I can push that before it looks like I'm the one at fault...

I don't recall having issues with OcUK specifically but it is annoying when manufacturers and retailers play pass-the-buck with RMAs.

I might not have made it obvious at the time that it was an "dodgy on day one" situation when I first contacted them. When I was clear that I'd like to manage the return through OCUK they agreed straight off. I did however say that if they thought another unit might be better than the one I had, then I'd happily try a replacement - and they chose to refund me.

Obviously not their fault, but it did make me wonder if they were getting a lot of returns on that model and couldn't be arsed with the typical three-swaps debacle from a picky buyer. Can see why retailers wouldn't want to handle it, they're probably as fed up as we are of the QC darkness!

Although maybe... not stocking the problem models would be a more effective protest. Not sure how much influence OCUK would have if they threatened such a thing, but we know there are some company reps check these forums now and then.

Associate

Although, from what I've heard, Acer's customer support is awful nowadays.

Acer can go and do one. I bought my ex girlfriend one of those lovely ultrabooks when they first came out, and later the ribbon from the mobo to the monitor broke, so I go to get a spare, model discontinued, was just out of warranty etc. no spares, tried eBay for ages, googling the part, the works. So she is left with a lump of useless electronics which was a present from me. yey jump off a cliff please Zcer

In hindsight I would probably search for a busted one for spares but i've left her now. Still makes me wary of buying anything from them ever again.

Associate

Indeed, they simply can not be beaten on CS.

IMO do not buy an Asus panel on the basis of Asus supporting you! I know I didn't ;) .

For example besides QA on panel itself FW is an issue on that panel, firstly it's been ~3mths and no movement by Asus on this issue:-

Strange line down the middle of my MG279Q - a lot of R9 Fury users have this problem

I know one poster got rid of his Fury Nitro and bought a Fury X to resolve issue. Now if you think perhaps it's the GPU/vBios read this:-

Asus MG279Q not displaying output on older GPUs

My Q6600/P5K/HD5850 I have owned each item since release, so you can imagine I may have used a lotta screens with it since 2007, only the Asus MG279Q has been like it is! Even modern screens like the Eizo FG2421 and Dell U2515H had no issue with that hardware. I tried various cables/ports/turning FS off in OSD, etc, etc and no joy :( .

Last edited:
Associate
What most people do not know, is while Rainforest has great no-quibble return policy, they also known to ban people without much explanation - but common consensus is they have some secret ban criteria for "too many" (or too expensive) returns.

After I went through 3 monitors trying to get a good one (and 2 of them from rainforest), I received automated email warning in lines that "The volume of your recent return activity is unusually high" (and I've certainly did not go crazy, just returned this one monitor and ~2 some cheap items more than a month ago). Probably it uses a total return sum and monitor was enough to trigger limit.

This scared me a bit since after I've googled, I instantly found plenty of stories about people being banned without previous warning, right to appeal or even explanation why. Email asked me to contact customer service - which I did and explained my situation, asking to clarify why they think its a problem. They replied and dismissed the whole thing saying its basically nothing to worry about and they just wanted to know if they can help me to have better experience - but I am pretty sure this was quite a warning call.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't understand why people get so weird about backlight bleed, I only notice some glow on black screens and if I don't think about it I'm not to bothered, I do agree that some monitors are very bad for bleed but I've seen some I'd call decent being absolutely criticized.

Soldato
I don't understand why people get so weird about backlight bleed, I only notice some glow on black screens and if I don't think about it I'm not to bothered, I do agree that some monitors are very bad for bleed but I've seen some I'd call decent being absolutely criticized.
Depends on your mindset I guess. If I'm buying a £120 monitor I might expect things like that. If I'm spending £400+ I expect the quality control to actually be good.

Associate
Totally agree Dragon Q and agree with you as well Doogles in a way.

BLB when gaming TBH honest I may not notice, as generally:-

i) I'll be viewing the centre of screen mainly.
ii) I'll be too engrossed in the game to notice.

A loading screen exhibiting BLB, as it may have full black screen momentarily, not an issue for me either. What bothers me is where when using the screen at OS desktop use, I see it, then it does my nut in.

I set all monitors "sensibly" IMO and 2 out of the 4 were so bad that where in the evening with lighting on in room, you could see it whilst using the PC at OS desktop and when the wife notices a ~£500 screen looking weird with just a quick glance that is saying something in my book.

Soldato
OP

This was one of mine that went back. The light is on in this room, the camera's just a bit insensitive. There are no reflections in the screen.

xRV2ADE.jpg

I do a lot of graphics work, so having ~20% of the panel discoloured like that was taking the mick. Reading a couple of reviews after the fact, I found it's a model known for BLB. A £550 "professional" screen that is KNOWN TO HAVE BACKLIGHT BLEED... They couldn't even find a sample to send to the review sites that didn't have it!

Basically that right there is what has gotten me so fed up with the market. Why was it ever on sale if that is the typical state of them? :(

Soldato
So dells dead pixel warranty doesnt actually cover dead pixels, only stuck fullbright ones? They must only be getting away with that because no-ones tried to sue them for being totally misleading.
Funny thing is my last 2 monitors have both been Hazros and both are great, yet OCUK stopped selling them because others had quality issues.

Last edited:
Associate
So dells dead pixel warranty doesnt actually cover dead pixels, only stuck fullbright ones? They must only be getting away with that because no-ones tried to sue them for being totally misleading.
Umm, Dell never stated they cover dark stuck pixels, at least never in writing. All claims that "dell has dead pixel warranty" is just entirely hearsay made by people who expected too much and/or didn't bother to read policy completely.

All Dells documents (at least all I've seen myself) state very clearly that only bright stuck pixels are covered. Neither Dell ever said anything about "dead pixel warranty", because proper name is "premium panel guarantee".

Last edited:
Associate
Soon as they stick gaming in the title it means they can shove sh## out the doors.

The amount of comments I have seen lately saying How ''the BLB isn't that bad and I can live with it'', for that much money you shouldn't have to.

my previous 2009 and 2014 ips panels didn't look like these so why do they now in 2017

Back
Top Bottom