What was your first ever post on the Forums?

Soldato
Mine was just a boring spec check thread in 2009 for my first ever self-build. Had been lurking on the forums for a while though.

Hi - hoping for a sanity check on a new build. I've chosen the following so far and am just looking to check if there are any obvious howlers or things missing:

Gigabyte EX58-UD4P Intel X58 (Socket 1366) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard
Intel Core i7 920 2.66Ghz (Nehalem) (Socket LGA1366) - OEM
OCZ 6GB DDR3 PC3-15000 (3x2GB) Reaper Low-Voltage Triple Channel (OCZ3RPR1866C9LV6GK)
Powercolor ATI Radeon HD 4870 1024MB GDDR5 TV-Out/Dual DVI/HDMI (PCI-Express) - Retail
Corsair TX 850W ATX2.2 SLI Compliant Power Supply
Antec 900-2 Nine Hundred Two Ultimate Gaming Case - Black (No PSU)
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-Bit - OEM (66I-01939)
LG GGC-H20L Blu-Ray Reader & HD-DVD ROM Serial ATA Drive - Retail
Samsung SpinPoint F1 750GB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM (HD753LJ)
Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 CPU Cooler (Socket LGA1366)

Not decided on monitor & keyboard yet. Probably 24" and a bog-standard microsoft keyboard/mouse combo.

A) Will this lot all fit together ?
B) The cooler comes with its own paste. Should I use that or buy something different like arctic silver ?

I went for retail vista to cover me in case the motherboard needs replacing. I'll go through the hoops to get a 64bit disc off microsoft.

Not epecially tied to the graphics card or power supply. They seemed sensible

Any comments from the experts here ?

From memory the only thing I ended up changing was the PSU, taking the advice to get a modular one.

Soldato
Mine was this on 5th Feb 2007, 02:21

Hi, new here just brought some new stuff from OC and I have had a little problem, 1st what I brought.

Core 2 duo E6300
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
Geil 2x1Gb PC6400 Cas 4
Sapphire Radeon X1950pro 512mb
Arctic cooling Freezer 7 pro

All was running fine for the 1st day, 2nd day I was out for 30 mins came back and the system was bleeping, I shut down and checked temps in the bios, CPU was only 27 C, I looked in the manual and it says long continous beeps is DDR error, im thinking maybe faulty memory, I have heard there have been lots of problems with Geil, also a friend of mine says there is a compatabilty issue with my mobo and the geil mem, is this right? Should I swap to something else? he said go for G.Skill.

I ran SP2004 earlier for over an hour and got no errors.

After I rebooted the bleeping stopped, it started later on and stopped again, then it did it once more a few hours ago yet now its fine, seems it only does it if I leave it doing nothing.

Any help or advice would be great, thanks guys.

Nick

Wow 10 years next week!

Back
Top Bottom