Suzuki sx4 / fiat sedici - a bargain too good to be true?

Associate
So in my hunt for a new super reliable runabout, I came across this odd little number.
Found a 105k sx4, nice colour, FSH on a 57 plate pretty local up at £1500 ono.

Option of fwd or permanent 4wd and average of 50mpg out of the 1.6 gl, it appears to be a beefy Suzuki swift with 4wd.

I can't seem to find any user issues on the first gen model (other than dpf issues in the diesel, it's petrol I'm looking at)

Anyone in the know care to comment, whether it's a worthwhile buy at 1250 quid or if I should steer well clear?

Cheers lads.

Stephen

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a suzuki sx4 (2010) 1.6 diesel fwd and it has had the following issues in my ownership (I inherited it from a family member October 2015, now at 85k ish)

• Gearbox linkages have gone and needed replacement (I think this should have had a new "knuckle" on the gearbox side replaced too but thus far been OK...)
  • Gearbox generally is very odd and doesn't seem to synchro properly in 1st/2nd gear (it's been like this since new)
  • radiator pipe broken
Also had a "faulty" (slightly loose) drivers belt buckle picked up in a service but i havent bothered to replace.

It does good mileage, measured in real world values as 52mpg on mainly motorway driving (to Scotland and a few in between runs). It seems to hold the road very well and also has a fair bit of grunt (compared to my Mrs Fiat panda!) . My insurance is relatively OK too for a newish driver (25y/o first car).

If it weren't for the issues in gearbox linkages causing me 2 breakdowns I'd thoroughly recommend it! I am a first time driver however.

Last edited:
Soldato
I had a Fiat Sedici 1.9 for about 5 years. Other than servicing and a near miss with a seized water pump it was faultless.

Not inspirational to drive but coped with deep flooding we had round here and a few snowy winters.

Nice little crossover type car to be honest. Eat front tyres at an alarming rate. My friend still has it and it goes on and on.

Caporegime
How wrong can you actually go with a relatively modern car, presumably with a decent length MOT, for £1250~.

I'd probably go for it if it's in a decent condition and meets your criteria for a new vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom