Problem With Upstairs Neighbours Young Child

Soldato
Adults who feel the need to have children should obey the rules put forward by the council, any residents under that roof no matter what age they are need to obey it. The parents should be stopping the kid making so much noise.

Still think you should have to take a test before you can legally have kids.

The noise is from the kid running around, not screaming or shouting. Really need to start seeing the difference.

Unless you drug the kid, you ain't going to make them sleep if they're not tired. The kid could just be running round and playing in his bedroom at that time.

So, I'm assuming you haven't got kids, because you'd probably fail the test! :rolleyes:

Caporegime
If a kid wants to make so much noise at an unsociable hour it is deemed unacceptable by the council, that is unacceptable, and the adults should be preventing it in the same way they would prevent themselves doing so.

how exactly?

Because i cannot make any human (let alone a child) do something in the same way i make myself do it.

you know not sharing a nervous system and all.

Soldato
Not to sound harsh but you must be out of your mind to buy a flat with someone living above you. I have lived in flats before and if this kind of noise annoys you in anyway, then it makes your life a total nightmare.

Not to sound harsh but you must be out of your mind to buy a flat with someone living above you. I have lived in flats before and if this kind of noise annoys you in anyway, then it makes your life a total nightmare.

I wouldn't say "out of your mind" but personally I would never buy a flat in a converted town house, your just looking for trouble, this women cought be living above you for the next ten years! property like that it's a real gamble and they are usually poorly insulated, I would hate to be in your situation, there is really not much hope of making a child that young be quiet.

It's not the end of the world though because you do have options, you can sell up, that might sound drastic but if you do it right you could end up upgrading and having a much better home life out of it.

You might also want to consider using the place you are in now as an investment property and buy another flat while renting the one your in, but that will depend on your mortgage T&C's and your own fiances.

Last edited:
Soldato
If it is disturbing your sleep only, I would suggest earplugs.
That is what I do, as I work on night shifts and usually go to bed after 5am...

but yeah, the parents should at least try to control their child better.

Associate
Our ceilings our very high. Sound proofing has been looked as an option. Good quality stuff would be very exspensive, and im still not convinced would entireley work. Not mention look horrible!

Trust me, soundproofing won't work with this type of noise...been there, tried that...cost me 2 grand for sod all but a new ceiling :D thankfully my new neighbours are much more considerate.

Soldato
Everyone has the right to peace and quiet and enjoyment of their own home without excessive disturbance from others. Nuisance neighbours can disturb a person's enjoyment of their home, and inconsiderate behaviour can even be detrimental to health.

There are measures which local authorities, can use to tackle neighbour nuisance problems.

I know of this first hand, with my old neighbours, who finally got the message when they were threatened with court action. :mad:

Associate
Discipline, be it self or parental.

How exactly do you discipline a two year old so they behave to a standard 'in line with what you would expect from an Adult'?

If you can answer that you either are set to be a millionaire when you write a book sharing your insight, or currently have no concept of what it's like to bring up a child.

In hindsight I had absolutely no clue before becoming a parent.

Suspended
Yeah, I get woken up by kids jumping around and banging at 6am too.

Council just won't do anything, no matter how many letters you write. Even the local MP can't do anything.

I should never have had kids....

You win - excellent post.

Children make noise, the OP needs to get over it. Or move. Or make a child with his GF and get his own back :p

Soldato
self discipline, in a child or toddler? catch yourself on fella. seriously. maybe an older child you can start to teach them self discipline but young kids/toddlers, you're living in la la land

+1

When kids wake up....they wake up lol....no matter what time it is 2am or 6am fighting a losing battle lol

my daughter used to be awake and ready to go around 5am everyday lol

Suspended
How exactly do you discipline a two year old so they behave to a standard 'in line with what you would expect from an Adult'?

If you can answer that you either are set to be a millionaire when you write a book sharing your insight, or currently have no concept of what it's like to bring up a child.

In hindsight I had absolutely no clue before becoming a parent.

All parents make it up as they go along - anyone saying otherwise is talking absolute ****. Sometimes you get it right, sometimes you get it wrong. Just another day in this wonderful journey called life :D

Soldato
I lived next door to a horrid family. Newer really spoke to them, typical chav scum. They were on housing benefits, so moved into a tiny little village, whilst the landlord was happy taking payment from the government.

So anyone on housing benefits is chav scum then?

Some people do have disabilities that make it next to impossible to work and you can't always tell by looking at them.

Sometimes this forum shocks me. Being on housing benefits (or any benefits for that matter especially DLA and ESA) doesn't make you scum.

Round here if you are on housing benefits it is next to impossible to find a place to rent because landlords just won't take the money even if you have someone acting as a guarantor for you. What would you like these people to do? Live on the streets? Or would you just rather they move to a financially depressed ghetto so you don't have to deal with "chav scum"?

Soldato
interesting. Do you have kids? Do they run rings around you?

yes I do, a 19month old and no she doesn't. for the most part she's a very well behaved child but you know sometimes, what with her being an infant and all, she cries and sometimes unnecessarily. I do ask her to stop but, again her being an infant, her self discipline is a tad lacking

so do tell - self discipline in a toddler, how do you go about it? now this will be interesting.

Man of Honour
i would sacrifice a couple of inches on all walls and ceiling to help deaden the sound. peace of mind over a few extra inches imo.
although what a good solution would be i have no idea.

Soldato
All parents make it up as they go along - anyone saying otherwise is talking absolute ****. Sometimes you get it right, sometimes you get it wrong. Just another day in this wonderful journey called life :D

exactly - you have to dodge and weave with the blows! it's a constant battle with kids sometimes!! (I mean that in a good way)

the folk saying on here that children should be behaving or acting in line with adult levels of acceptability must really be on another planet.

I really hope they don't have children - if they are treating them as they claim kids should be, there's a lot of kids out there going to be heavily repressed and emotionally stunted - hey a bit like some of the folks on GD!! :p

Back
Top Bottom