Cordless impact gun

Soldato
I got a Milwaukee Power HD18HIWF for xmas, not been to the track with it yet but had a few wheels off on the driveway and it's much better than what I had before.

It is pretty heavy and unwieldy though

Associate
Ryobi R18IW3-0 ONE+ 3-Speed Impact Wrench 300lbs torque can pick one up without the batter for around £100 and u can get different size batteries

the 4.0AH is around the £75 mark £5AH £100

haven't personally got one myself, but used Ryobi tools for years and good quality and decent price point

Soldato
Get a second hand CT6850 or 7x if your budget accepts. The biggest advantage is they retain their money like crazy so it will cost you nothing. It not what you spend but what you lose.

Soldato
Ryobi R18IW3-0 ONE+ 3-Speed Impact Wrench 300lbs torque can pick one up without the batter for around £100 and u can get different size batteries

the 4.0AH is around the £75 mark £5AH £100

haven't personally got one myself, but used Ryobi tools for years and good quality and decent price point

I've got this one and it's great. Managed to get the body for £80 and as I already have another couple of Ryobi tools, it meant I could stay with one type of battery. I did get an extra 2.5Ah Li-ion battery for £35 from Amazon which was a really good price. It really feels like a quality bit of kit and I'm very happy with it indeed. It's got an amazing amount of power behind it also and it's only ever struggled to undo things which were *exceptionally* tight and rusted. On the whole, rusted bolts and nuts are easily defeated by this. Last weekend I undid suspension bolts on a 15 year old, 120k mile car which has never had them removed since factory and it did so without breaking a sweat.

The other offerings from Makita, Milwaukee and Hitachi are also great but they are *so* much more expensive and I'd only consider them if I was a professional mechanic using them all day every day.

Soldato
I've got this one and it's great. Managed to get the body for £80 and as I already have another couple of Ryobi tools, it meant I could stay with one type of battery. I did get an extra 2.5Ah Li-ion battery for £35 from Amazon which was a really good price. It really feels like a quality bit of kit and I'm very happy with it indeed. It's got an amazing amount of power behind it also and it's only ever struggled to undo things which were *exceptionally* tight and rusted. On the whole, rusted bolts and nuts are easily defeated by this. Last weekend I undid suspension bolts on a 15 year old, 120k mile car which has never had them removed since factory and it did so without breaking a sweat.

The other offerings from Makita, Milwaukee and Hitachi are also great but they are *so* much more expensive and I'd only consider them if I was a professional mechanic using them all day every day.

I was just going to reply asking if anyone had any real world experience of the Ryobi tools as i was looking at them yesterday as they look like a good middle ground for the amateur mechanic. I really like the idea of the whole battery sharing thing as i need a new drill anyway so it might be a good excuse!

For my usage of maybe needing it once every few months to do a job on one of my cars there's no way i could justify £500 for one tool, i'd rather spend the difference on a few track days!

Man of Honour
OP
Yeah I'm in the same mindset. Just over £100 for the gun on Amazon. But over another £100 for a charger and battery.

But then I do need a cordless SDS drill as well, not sure if I can get a Ryobi one.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was just going to reply asking if anyone had any real world experience of the Ryobi tools as i was looking at them yesterday as they look like a good middle ground for the amateur mechanic. I really like the idea of the whole battery sharing thing as i need a new drill anyway so it might be a good excuse!

For my usage of maybe needing it once every few months to do a job on one of my cars there's no way i could justify £500 for one tool, i'd rather spend the difference on a few track days!

Yeah these was my thoughts too. I use mine for a couple of jobs a month and it's been fantastic. There will always be some bolts which an 18v cordless won't be able to move and it'd be strictly over to air tools, but these are few and far between, even when dealing with exhaust/suspension bolts. I've got a Ryobi impact driver as well which is equally brilliant, so I just share batteries between them. The new Ryobi Li-Ion batteries are very good and *much* better than their old Ni-MH ones as they retain like 80% of their charge even if they are untouched for a couple of years, they produce their full power right up until they die and take an hour or so to charge.

Yeah I'm in the same mindset. Just over £100 for the gun on Amazon. But over another £100 for a charger and battery.

But then I do need a cordless SDS drill as well, not sure if I can get a Ryobi one.

To be honest, if you're doing a normal track day and you just want to be able to swap wheels/do a few easy jobs that might crop up, then this would be perfect for you. If you're doing a NigeP and doing a full engine/suspension rebuild in the pits, you could justify going for something more expensive :p

Amazon warehouse have the impact wrench for £88 and have a charger/battery combo for £56, meaning it'd only cost about £140 to have you completely up and running - which i don't think is all that bad!

hux

hux

Soldato
Depends really, ryobi sell one with 400nm for a decent price would be enough for typical track use.
For something really powerful then it's milwaukee, err mine is the M18CHIWF-502X which is the all singing and dancing two 5.0ah battery model, they list it as 1432nm break force but it's more like 1700nm actual.
Just get the model right with the friction ring, as they sell similar lesser powered models.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsv2rbsQREw

Soldato
Im a technician and was toying with the idea of spending £1100 on a 3/8 and 1/2" impact gun set. Pretty much all of the guys I worked with at the time had Snap on and all moaned about them. One of the other guys mentioned Milwaukee Fuel range. Bought them for for less than £600 and both more powerful than the Snap on equivalents.
So in my eyes def go with Milwaukee.. I have and I haven't looked back since.

Back
Top Bottom