BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
This was my experience with Sytner (two different cars and dealerships), once the cars had been sold they just didn't care, no after-sales care at all. Like you I got my issues resolved eventually after much back and forth :rolleyes:

This is my experience with quite a few dealers. Rarely did I, or my mother or father or friends ever walk into the dealer and them say "All done on time, no issues and thanks very much". Normally there's *something* which is a problem and which takes them hours/days to rectify and involves lots of phone calls and umming and ahhhing.

I remember when my mum took her car in for an inspection/brake fluid service at BMW. She got a call saying that her injectors were part of a "quality enhancement" and that they were going to swap them out for new ones FOC, but that it'd still be ready for collection by the end of the day and they'd call her.

1600 comes and she hears nothing. So she calls them for them to say "The service is done, the injectors are done but there is an extra £120 charge for the spark plugs". Obviously she never asked for the spark plugs to be changed, but the dealer had changed them when they did the injectors - as per protocol - but then apparently the warranty company or whoever were refusing to pay for the spark plugs, and the dealer was also refuing to pay for them so tried to just bill the customer. The only issue is that she'd paid BMW £120 to change them only a few thousand miles/6 months previously so paying for brand new genuine plugs to be changed again was a bit unfair. They couldn't sort it out that day, so she had to call them the next day and the service manager agreed that it wasn't really cricket, and zero'd them off.

In my experience, unless there is a part which is particularly pricey and only available from BMW - it's just much less hassle to get things done yourself by buying the OEM part(s) at 50% of the price of the Genuine item, and taking it to a trusted, reliable local mechanic.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
In my experience, unless there is a part which is particularly pricey and only available from BMW - it's just much less hassle to get things done yourself by buying the OEM part(s) at 50% of the price of the Genuine item, and taking it to a trusted, reliable local mechanic.

Yeah, unless you want to preserve your new car/AUC/extended warranty in a "hassle free" way - I mean, as soon as something goes awry you're basically at the mercy of BMW looking favourably (no matter what the EU law states) on your case.

I have done and will continue to do things like change my brakes myself as BMW want ludicrous money for that but other than consumables I'm not sure I would take my car somewhere other than BMW. That is purely because of the age and warranty status of both of my cars. I'm tempted to not renew the warranty on the Z4 now it isn't driven daily, but then the peace of mind is so good with it. Well, sorta, as it can be a total faff actually dealing with BMW but the warranty itself is a solid product.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
[TW]Fox;30464985 said:
And negotiate 10 grand off?
Why do they bother though? Do they really expect someone to walk up and pay £30k for a 7-year-old car?

There was a 2010 550i GT for sale, albeit privately, locally at €50,000(!) for a year. It dropped to €15,000 the other week and the ad has since disappeared :p

Man of Honour
You're dreaming if you think a very high spec, low mileage 550 is only worth £18k.

The asking price isn't far off the mark

It's miles off the mark and is priced hilariously because of the daft spec. That is newer M5 money with a facelift M5 not that much more.

It's one of the oldest F10 M Sports on the market and it's engine is of limited appeal. It's worth more than an equivalent 530 or 535 for sure but nearly 30 grand is just hilarious.

Why would you pay that much money for that car?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom