Google Pixel and Pixel XL

Permabanned
Picked up this phone last week. Can any of you recommend a good case?

As mentioned in a previous post, I went an expensive option. I chose the official case on the Google Play Store, the £ 35 option that allowed me to place my own choice of photo on the cover---me and the missus! I still get lots of favourable comments about it from friends who see the case for the first time.

Obviously there are cheaper options!

Soldato
I read a few months ago when they released Google Home in the US, they said they would be bringing Google Home to the UK in 2017.

Google is actively adding third party services to Home and negotiating with many other potential providers. They are pulling out all the stops to get the Developers on board so that by the time they do enter the UK (hopefully very soon), they will have a very robust offering.

Meanwhile, as mentioned in an earlier post on this subject, they are soon bringing some of Google Home voice features to the Pixel.

The retail price in the US is $ 129. During Christmas I saw a $ 99 promotion advertised.

My guess is that they way Google will make money on the device (as they will on other voice activated devices like Pixel) will be eventually by charging a service/introduction fee to the party providing the service---eg, Dominos Pizza, Uber, etc-- although I have not seen this confirmed yet. The service will therefore be free to the user.

With many of my expected voice actions on Home expected initially to be search queries (eg, the way I use Google search everyday now), I expect Google will dominate this space as it is a natural search engine which Amazon is not.

Thanks for the info ... I am in when it comes up for UK release !

Soldato
Please let us know how you got along at Carphone Warehouse on your Pixel purchase and your first impressions.

Pixel off to a good start according to this note:

http://krqe.com/2017/01/29/googles-pixel-phone-shines-despite-misgauging-demand/

Thought you'd have one by now? You going with the pixel xl?

yeah still trying to sort the 128 is rare as rocking horse poop.

best deal i can see is via mobiles.co.uk EE, lay £160 down and then £30 a month, 3GB data, which should be enough... that is the 32gig - will try ee in store today to see if they can match direct or a bit more for the 128 model.

Associate
Noticed a pixel XL and pixel in cex earlier, both 32gb for £590 and £430. Not sure if i'd want to buy from CEX but its tempting. Any idea what kind of warranty/comeback you have with them?

Or with google for a 2nd pixel for that matter.

Associate
Yandex browser and Adguard if you don't plan on rooting.

GMD hide nav bar if you are paranoid about burn in problem with the navigation keys.

I've stuck with the original apps for most things.

Love the Pixel XL. Bit of a minger, but fabulous in every other way.

Associate
Had a new Pixel XL delivered today when noticed that the Google Store has got the 32 gb model back in stock. Upgraded from a Nexus 6 and this new phone is an awesome bit of kit so far. Really pleased with it so far.

Associate
My Pixel XL doesnt seem to hold background apps well. If i dont use my phone for 2 hours or so, then i hit the recent apps button, i only see 4-5 apps there. Anyone know what's going on? Is there a setting I can change?

Back
Top Bottom