*** Official Kodi (née XBMC) Thread ***

Soldato
Cheers for heads up (I knew it was iminent), I'll probaly install on my windows PC tonight but I will stick to SPMC on my Shield and FireTVs as it has just to many advantages over Kodi for anyone on Android family.

maj

maj

Soldato
Is LibreELEC a good OS for Kodi

For what device? I use it on my Pi 2 and does the job fine. Neither Libre or Open are particularly resource hungry. Both seem to support CEC too which is handy for me as means I can use TV remote to control it.

LibreElec taken over from Openelec? I was going to use sql to share libraries but using emby and its working really well :)

From what I know some of the original developers of OpenELEC went off and created their own version. Seems to be more supported with updates etc but Open still exists.

Don
Basically all the developers bar one moved from OpenElec to LibreElec, LibreElec focuses on stability and new features.

I don't see the point of sticking with OpenElec now. Plus the startup logo is 10x better :D

It works perfeclty on Pi1/2/3

Soldato
For what device? I use it on my Pi 2 and does the job fine. Neither Libre or Open are particularly resource hungry. Both seem to support CEC too which is handy for me as means I can use TV remote to control it.

From what I know some of the original developers of OpenELEC went off and created their own version. Seems to be more supported with updates etc but Open still exists.

RP2 so I'll have a try of that ;)

Soldato
What resolution are you running at? I only ask because if it's 4K, the upscalers used by Kodi 17 on Android are appalling (far to soft) and it might be worth having a look at SPMC, Koyings Android specific fork of Kodi, you can use Lanczos3 Optimised upscalers with that and they are a massive improvement over Kodi's defaults. You can install SPMC beside Kodi with no interference as well which keeps your options open.

Hopefully it will all become moot if Manuel and the Nvidia team sort out why the SE5 is not enabling the Android N process that allows an app to request a resolution change so sources can play in native res and allow the TV to upscale.

Soldato
What resolution are you running at? I only ask because if it's 4K, the upscalers used by Kodi 17 on Android are appalling (far to soft) and it might be worth having a look at SPMC, Koyings Android specific fork of Kodi, you can use Lanczos3 Optimised upscalers with that and they are a massive improvement over Kodi's defaults. You can install SPMC beside Kodi with no interference as well which keeps your options open.

Hopefully it will all become moot if Manuel and the Nvidia team sort out why the SE5 is not enabling the Android N process that allows an app to request a resolution change so sources can play in native res and allow the TV to upscale.

I use a 4K 65" B6 OLED.

Kodi does not do the upscaling, the TV does (if under 4K) and works very well.

Everything is connected with my Yamaha RX-A3050.

Last edited:
Soldato
But do you run the Shield at 4K or 1080, if the Shield is at 4k everything is outputted 4K regardless of source and the Shield has to do the upscale. At the moment the Shield can not res switch on the fly it can only refresh rate switch.

APM

APM

Associate
How often do Kodi upgrades happen then?

I just discovered Kodi and installed Jarvis,now there's a v17 popped up.

Is it necessary to always have the latest distro or would I be ok sticking to Jarvis for a while or until any bugs in 17 get ironed out?

Cheers.

Soldato
How often do Kodi upgrades happen then?

I just discovered Kodi and installed Jarvis,now there's a v17 popped up.

Is it necessary to always have the latest distro or would I be ok sticking to Jarvis for a while or until any bugs in 17 get ironed out?

Cheers.

Not very often. v16.1 (Jarvis) was released in April but I think v16 was about last February. Theres usually a vxx.1 fairly soon after release to mop up any bugs then its onto the next version.

I expect v17 to stay current for atleast 9-12months and there will probably be a v17.1 within the next 2. It'll be fine to continue with v16.1 for a while.

Back
Top Bottom