Pele

Associate
Pele is touted as greatest ever footballer by the media. It even seems Pele is the epitome and the front of corporate side of the game. Do you consider Pele as the greatest ever footballer?

Soldato
Best ever seen? You can't say that. For his time. he was up there certainly, like all past and present players. You can't pinpoint the best ever, it just doesn't exist. Why do people define the best footballer as a forward? It's a team game, without the best other team players, that forward would be nothing.

Last edited:
Soldato
Problem is with the game getting so much faster, better equipment and facilities it isn't such an easy task to compare like for like.

Look at some of the pitches players like Pele, Eusabio and Best played on compared to todays surfaces, if some one kicks a lump out of todays pitches the managers say the pitch is terrible and shouldn't be played on.

Also the ball weighed about 30 tonnes when wet in them days compared to todays lightweight models so dribbling would also be a more difficult skill, but in contrast most of their opponents were heavily hungover (or still blotto) so weren't as good as todays professionals.

Last edited:
Soldato
It was a bit of a different game back then. It's fair to say, though, that Pele and Messi are the best of their respective eras.

Watch some of the footage of Pele and compare with the usual 'agricultural' style of, particularly, european football of the time. The guy was worlds apart.

Add Maradona to those two, and you've got the greatest three of the past 50 years. Hard to argue that anyone else belongs in that list.

Soldato
for me pele is still up there as the best, i'd rate a few others from that era over anyone that i've seen play.

as for better training/facilities nowadays that works the same way, how would modern players cope with conditions back then, heavier ball, terrible pitches, get assaulted by the defenders and the ref waves play on :D

Soldato
Messi has also had a better team around him than Ronaldo for the most part. I know they are different types of player in that Messi is more of a team player, but would he have achieved the stats he has if he was in a lesser team?

I suppose you could say the same for Ronaldo, but being more of an individual player, the stats he has achieved would surely be less affected by being in a lesser team than Messi?

Soldato
Ronaldo doesn't even belong in the GOAT debate.

He's a couple of levels below Messi and has been banging them in for fun stat padding the whole time.

Terrific goalscorer but nothing more

Man of Honour
Not for me. His stats are incredible but they're also incredibly padded. He played in an easier league against less professional opponents. He was amazing, no doubt, and is easily in the top 5 players of all time, but not the best for me. Messi and Maradona are ahead of him for me, with Zidane and Ronaldo in the discussion as well.

Back
Top Bottom