Porsche Owners Thread - If you own one or just like or hate them! :)

Soldato
I finally realised my dream to own a 911 on Saturday!

The car that I have is a May 2006 911 Carrera S Cabriolet in Midnight Blue. It has 2 former keepers and has done 28,500 miles. Full service history with independents. I had it inspected by a company called Porsche Dynamics who also looked at all 6 bores - all clear with no signs of oil on the pistons. A couple of minor oil leaks from the sump gasket and solenoid cover were repaired with a fresh oil change too.

Options:
Blue leather 16 way heated sports seats
Sports Exhaust
Short Shifter
HomeLink
PCM with Bose and Sat Nav

Overall I'm over the moon. It is beautiful to drive and for its age I think it's in very good condition.

Pics (will have better ones soon once the weather improves)

Dirty!

Paint comes up nicely for its age. Spent a good few hours polishing and waxing on Sunday with the inevitable discovery of lots of little marks which would be imperceptible to the normal eye.

Dealer Photos:

To do list:

Trip to Centre Gravity for their expert eye on the suspension.
Scope out the local independent garages, Zuffenhaus and PCT sound like good options.
Investigate options for replacing PCM

Got a decent drive this weekend (in the rain :eek: ) but I have to remember to use the car as well as just polish it!

Last edited:

TS7

TS7

Soldato
Congrats! Lovely car. The 911 from the front has changed so little in ten years! The 991 looks noticeably fresher from the rear but stick a private plate on the 997 and most would be none the wiser that's an 11 year old car! (Not saying you should care about others perceptions etc etc).

RSR

RSR

Soldato
The embargo must have listed today, as a number of reviews have gone live:

Auto Care - 2017 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS PDK review

Also it seems to market is about to go up another gear:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...nly-turbo-six-cylinder-engines-and-get-hybrid

The next Porsche 911 will exclusively use turbocharged six-cylinder engines when it arrives in 2019, including the GT3, marking the end of naturally aspirated units for the line-up.

That's going to push the flipper / second hand market into overdrive. :(

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Is the general thought that 981's will start to rise in price as the last of the 6 cylinder Boxsters ? Might be time to invest !

I know mines more or less worth what I paid for it now. However, I am not sure it will last to be honest with the 981's as most people over look the 981 for the 991.

Soldato
The NA 991's will hold their values very well I should think. I worry that despite these cars being fantastic pieces of engineering Porsche are annoying their loyal fans. Clever to introduce turbocharging as a facelift to avoid another 996!

Associate
Any broken the titling mechanism on the side of the chair before ? I was giving the old man a lift the other day and as he was trying to get comfortable applied too much pressure on the tab/switch and it snapped.

Soldato
I'm looking to get a Porsche Boxster 2.7 08 manual this weekend.
It has 60k miles, one owner, full Porsche service history.
Mot and service done last month.
Any advice on what I should pay extra attention when checking the car?

RSR

RSR

Soldato
I've been given a estimated delivery date from September on ordering a PTS car and they are loaning me a 911 for a week when mines in for its service in a few weeks. In all honesty I have my name down for a new GT3 but the chances on getting on are slim to zero.

So I've been giving the 991.2 GTS some thought and trading in my 981 GTS at the same time for it. As I have the spec pretty much confirmed on the new car but what are peoples thoughts on going from a 981 to a 991.2? or just keep the 981?

991.2 Pictures to follow.

Soldato
Anyone test driven the new 718's? Are the engines as rubbish as I keep reading about or hearing about in the reviews?

I drove the new Cayman S and the new 911 the other day when I took my GT4 in for service.

The 718 engine is very strong, in fact the S is probably as quick as you'd ever need for the road, it felt like a 997 turbo. The sound, well, it sounds like a Subaru with an exhaust on it. It's not a bad sound per se, but it's different. All depends on whether you can deal with that or not.

Overall I'd say it's probably a better engine from performance and economy standpoint, with its own character, just different to the flat 6.

In other news, I still absolutely love my GT4.

Last edited:
Soldato
[ui]ICEMAN;30470424 said:
I drove the new Cayman S and the new 911 the other day when I took my GT4 in for service.

The 718 engine is very strong, in fact the S is probably as quick as you'd ever need for the road, it felt like a 997 turbo. The sound, well, it sounds like a Subaru with an exhaust on it. It's not a bad sound per se, but it's different. All depends on whether you can deal with that or not.

Overall I'd say it's probably a better engine from performance and economy standpoint, with its own character, just different to the flat 6.

In other news, I still absolutely love my GT4.

Thanks for sharing. I've been thinking that some of the negative reviews have been simply because it's not a 6 anymore and because it's different from what Porsche usually offer. I saw a video review earlier today from a 981 owner and he wasn't so negative on the 718, said it was faster and didn't sound bad just different. I've had good performing 4 bangers before,including a few first gen BMW M3's and see the appeal of a torquey 4 especially for daily use.
Really like the Cayman (981 and 718) which is what I'd usually go for and could do with the extra storage space but find the Boxster in 981 and 718 guise simply gorgeous so wouldn't be an easy decision.

GT4 - very nice :)

Associate
I'm looking to get a Porsche Boxster 2.7 08 manual this weekend.
It has 60k miles, one owner, full Porsche service history.
Mot and service done last month.
Any advice on what I should pay extra attention when checking the car?

Put your hand under the floor carpet behind the passenger's seat - if wet, run away or negotiate, there are expensive electrics under there - due to front drainage holes being blocked

Check that the car sits level, front spring failures are common.

Check the aircon - the front radiators often corrode away.

I've had 3 987 Boxsters and these were the common issues that I experienced anyway.

Soldato
Put your hand under the floor carpet behind the passenger's seat - if wet, run away or negotiate, there are expensive electrics under there - due to front drainage holes being blocked

Check that the car sits level, front spring failures are common.

Check the aircon - the front radiators often corrode away.

I've had 3 987 Boxsters and these were the common issues that I experienced anyway.

Great, thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom