Should you Anglicise your name?

Man of Honour
How would even the usual screening phone call work?

"Hi, it's Fred here from SuperMegaCorp HR department. Can I speak to Candidate X please regarding his/her job application sent to us last week?"

Utter madness.

I meant shortlisted for an interview - based on their skills.

I personally think a name should be irrelevant and they shouldn't have to westernise their names as I said previously.

Soldato
I meant shortlisted for an interview - based on their skills.

I personally think a name should be irrelevant and they shouldn't have to westernise their names as I said previously.

Unless the rest of the world's recruiting practices are very different from telecoms, you won't get on an interview short list with getting through a screening phone call as so many people flat out lie about their experience and skills.

Man of Honour
Unless the rest of the world's recruiting practices are very different from telecoms, you won't get on an interview short list with getting through a screening phone call as so many people flat out lie about their experience and skills.

Our HR team blanks out the name of the applicants - for the hiring managers. So presumably HR do all the checks, but the actual interviewers do not know the names. Which means that we do not know anything about them and we can short list without any prejudice, and based solely on the skills.

If they do not pass the vetting we don't see their names. When I worked in an industry which had enhanced vetting, the same thing took place. I still interviewed people that I had no idea if they were going to be male/female or whatever until I had shortlisted them based on their skills.

Caporegime
Our HR team blanks out the name of the applicants - for the hiring managers. So presumably HR do all the checks, but the actual interviewers do not know the names. Which means that we do not know anything about them and we can short list without any prejudice.

What if the HR team has a prejudice?

Man of Honour
I've experienced names being an issue in the past. I worked with a major infrastructure support provider that had a heavy Indian base, and used to bring people over to provide UK based support. They all had names they went by, for the ease of it I suppose, but their email addresses were their actual names. It was the hybrid that made it difficult. Trying to arrange meetings with people that you may or may not have already met under a pseudonym is a nightmare!

If they'd gone by their official names or their assumed names in person and on the system it may have been easier, and of course you do get used to it after a while but then they'd refresh their UK workforce - rinse and repeat! I never mentioned anything, as it's my problem not theirs.

Man of Honour

What if... what if... you can do all the what ifs. Fortunately this paranoia doesn't percolate throughout every industry.

In any case they're audited (internally and externally), and it wouldn't be worth the effort. All they do is vet them, and pass the cvs / application letters and blank the names. They have too much to do to start worrying about the names.

Soldato
Because while they are factually correct, both comments were made not to add to the discussion but more to cause friction. Much the same as your comment.

If they were genuinely mentioned because of their relevance then I take my rolleyes back :p

Didn't they anglicise their name due to anti German feelings during WW1? So in a way it is relevant.
They changed their names to 'fit in'...

Caporegime
A good recruitment system would hide the gender and name until the interview stage, no?

This.

Name, gender, age(within reason - obvs if someone has years of experience it can be inferred) ought to be blinded by HR. HR people not doing that these days are idiots, why leave yourself open to a potential discrimination lawsuit.

Caporegime

Doesn't matter, set it up so whomever blanks the details has no discretion to delete/reject anyone/isn't part of that process. Not exactly rocket science... then again most HR depts are run by women...*

*that sexist comment was meant in jest...

Back
Top Bottom