What do people think to the new MBP?

Associate
I got a couple of dongles and they seem to throttle my WiFi. The download speeds drastically decrease when I connect a dongle and increase as soon as I disconnect. Downloading something at 4MB/S, connect dongle, 400kb/s, disconnect, back to 4MB/s.

DiG

DiG

Associate
The machine itself is lovely, but the cable situation leaves a very bad impression:

1) Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter - Doesn't work with displayport, despite it having a picture of a monitor on the back, the Apple employees themselves don't know this as they suggested it to connect to my Dell 4K monitor!

2) Paying £79 for a power adapter only to find it doesn't include the cable! Again, nothing on the box to indicate this. Again the Apple employee in store didn't point this out at purchase.

Really genuinely ****** off at Apple for this

Associate
OP
2) Paying £79 for a power adapter only to find it doesn't include the cable! Again, nothing on the box to indicate this. Again the Apple employee in store didn't point this out at purchase.

Really genuinely ****** off at Apple for this

I wouldn't expect a cable tbh, charging a MBP is now very similar to an iOS device - You get all you need with the device itself but if you want spare versions, you have to buy the main unit plus whatever length cable you want...

They don't really do bundling stuff in unless they absolutely have to.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Dunno man, I just expect it from Apple - They've always been the same.

I lube up before I go into the store and just get on with it. The alternative is Windows machines and Android so I just shut my eyes and go to my happy place.

DiG

DiG

Associate
I dunno, when I walk into an Apple store and ask for a spare charger, I kind of expect the result to charge my laptop!

Associate
£9 for a damn USB adapter! Had to give in, none of these third party adapters worked without killing the Wifi. Official Apple one works fine.

I was under the impression power banks could recharge the MBP, I tried charging via my PS4 USB ports but nothing.

Soldato
I've been using a new MBP 15" with touchbar for a few weeks now, and these are my thoughts. Bear in mind, I've got a 27" iMac and a 2013 MBP at home, so I'm no stranger to Apple products, and my OSX setups are very similar. All Sierra, all running parallels installs of Windows 10, all with similar apps.

1) I'm having trouble with Magic Mouse 2 dropping out on it all the time. Sometimes it says it's disconnected and then reconnects again as the old magic mouse did, but you can't use "poor battery contacts" as an excuse.

Sometimes instead of saying it's disconnected, it simply freezes. The Macbook continues to respond with keyboard shortcuts and programs continue to run, but the mouse won't move or click. Within 2 minutes it resolves itself and continues to move.

No rhyme or reason, 100% charge on both the Macbook and mouse. Go figure.

2) USB-C -> Displayport cables don't seem to work at all (Bought one from the Google Store and returned it because it simply wouldn't fire up my Dell Ultrasharp 24").

I've got a separate "dongle" that has ports for 1 x HDMI, 1 x USB and 1 x USB-C power pass through. This works intermittently. Sometimes I have to reboot. Clamshell mode is extremely hit & miss. I've tried multiple HDMI cables, but at least it works more often than USB-C to Displayport, which didn't work full-stop.

3) Don't use the touch bar very much at all, unless it's to change screen brightness or volume. I put lemmings and Nyan cat on it, and since then it's mostly unused, as I tend to use it in clamshell mode when I'm at my desk. Even when mobile it's rarely involved in my workflow.

Other than those points, it's nice. Light, nice screen, looks cool. I'm hoping that the above problems are related to the build of Sierra vs the hardware profile, and subsequent updates will fix it.

Associate
My experience is:

the sound is immense on it. Don't know how they've done it.

I got a USB C -> Display port from Pluggable and use it every day - no problems

USB C -> HDMI the official apple one .. works faultlessly

Magic Mouse 2 -> Works a dream

All in all, a bit of a pain getting it setup, but it's a fantastic machine now it's all running sweetly. I use it every day for 8 hours in my web business.

Soldato
My experience is:

the sound is immense on it. Don't know how they've done it.

I got a USB C -> Display port from Pluggable and use it every day - no problems

USB C -> HDMI the official apple one .. works faultlessly

Magic Mouse 2 -> Works a dream

All in all, a bit of a pain getting it setup, but it's a fantastic machine now it's all running sweetly. I use it every day for 8 hours in my web business.

All my problems are just me then!

What monitor are you plugging into?

Soldato
I've been using the base 13" non-touch a fair bit more. Can notice it slowing down a little when doing something like log processing but otherwise speed is fine for the lightish scripting work I usually do on it.

Work is looking to get me a 15" if I want it, or an xps15. Kinda wish the 15" came in a non-touch version as well as just not interested in the touch part.

Installed windows 10 in bootcamp for occasional sql studio manager and visual studio use and it's really slick. Much better than I though it would be running windows.

Just wish there was some sort of monitor port built in as std, just one hdmi would have been so handy.

Soldato
Surely the fact it comes without a power cable is good, as it just means if you ordered one from abroad, you could just use your UK cable without any adapters etc.

Soldato
Surely the fact it comes without a power cable is good, as it just means if you ordered one from abroad, you could just use your UK cable without any adapters etc.

No, you have to but the adapter separately. It doesn't work without it.

Apple are genuinely taking the proverbial here. On the upside, our European colleagues are getting ripped off even worse than we are. Is it still OK to blame Brexit when it's worse for Europe?

Caporegime
Went into a store and checked out the new machine, seems solid. The keyboard is odd but I think I'd get used to it. The touch bar didn't feel like what I thought it would.

I won't be changing. Although it's amazing how it can make my current late 2015 rMBP feel big, heavy and dated :p

Back
Top Bottom