Photography Nerves in Public

Soldato
Have you ever suffered from this? How did you overcome this?

I took a trip down to the canal near me, here ducks seem to hang around all the time. It's a nice open area and the area of water is wide, before it narrows again a short distance ahead. Nobody was about and it was nice and quiet.

I managed to get in to some different locations to try different shots but that's pretty much as far I got. Soon after I started snapping photos, two guys turned up with the fishing poles. They came over to the area I was using and started casting a line. This made the ducks fly away and move a little further up. I had my daughter in her pram and girlfriend with me and we'd have had to leave the area and backtrack to get back on the other side of the canal. So we ended up calling it a day and heading home.

I'm learning photography and watching a lot of videos from Mike Browne, who makes it sound and look easy. Part of me today felt like I was putting myself centre of attention and I would be watched and judged by everyone around me or passing. Then I also felt a struggle to find composition for any of the photos. I've spent many hours watching most of Mike's videos on the subject and felt I was getting an understanding but clearly not. Was this just down to my nerves and not focusing on the full potential round me?

Associate
Sometimes it comes down to confidence i find , and a sort of screw it attitude, people will look and stare but ultimately who cares!

You have to think , whats the worst that can happen, not a lot really just keep your wits about you especially around canals which can be quite remote (as i've found around birmingham).

I think people these days are probably much more exposed to cameras and the like as opposed to years ago due to their proliferation on smart phones so won't bat too much of an eyelid if you point a lens their way.

Also, people are curious, they will naturally want to have a look and see what's going on so can't get away from that one!

Soldato

Lol. I once got chased out of a field by a woman and her dog. She had spent thirty minutes observing me through a pair of binoculars from her kitchen doing my photography, prior to setting the "beast" on me. after legging it over the gate and on to the road, I realised in panic that I had to go back in and collect my tripod. I also got apprehended by two security guards for photographing the shop front of a Chiquitos at the Potteries Hive shopping centre because they thought I was "casing the joint" or was a potential terrorist threat?

Last edited:
Associate
Why did you have to move further up? You could have practiced some action shots of the fishermen casting. Also don't be afraid to take shots. Especially when experimenting and learning. Eventually you'll start to just "see" a good shot.

Don't be afraid to take a photo, people can smell your fear.

Caporegime
I have anxiety issues and used to get pretty nervous photographing in public.

Oddly, when there were more people around, it bothered me less. if it was just one person (on a quiet road for example) I'd get a little twitchy...

Do it more, gain confidence, learn not to worry. Only advice I can give!

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys! One thing I've read on the matter is to take the camera everywhere with you, so it's something I'm going to try when I leave the house. I'll keep trying and eventually it'll just click.

Why did you have to move further up? You could have practiced some action shots of the fishermen casting. Also don't be afraid to take shots. Especially when experimenting and learning. Eventually you'll start to just "see" a good shot.

Don't be afraid to take a photo, people can smell your fear.

I wouldn't like to photograph people without asking them first, somehow it feels rude. They didn't look very friendly to me and due to them turning up and ruining what I was aiming for, I wasn't best pleased about their presence.

Yeah, thanks...

Associate
If there is a parkrun in your area volunteer as photographer a few times.

It really helps build confidence photographing strangers. You get thanked for doing it as they run around and get feedback the same day when added to their Facebook pages and Flickr.

Batch editing is good... Typically shoot about 1200 images whittled down to 300 in editing. Some of the facial expressions and redistribution of boobs & body fat can be less than flattering...

Last edited:
Soldato
Like everything it's just practice. The above suggestion is good.

I primarily do filming but also photography and most of what we do is obs-doc and I'm often in some pretty odd or compromising positions.

Soldato
OP
If there is a parkrun in your area volunteer as photographer a few times.

It really helps build confidence photographing strangers. You get thanked for doing it as they run around and get feedback the same day when added to their Facebook pages and Flickr.

Batch editing is good... Typically shoot about 1200 images whittled down to 300 in editing. Some of the facial expressions and redistribution of boobs & body fat can be less than flattering...

Interesting. We have a parkrun around the main park in the town centre (2.1 miles away from me) every Saturday. Only problem is they start the run at 9AM and I'm never up this early. They seem to have a Flickr account and asked people to upload any photos they've taken. Currently sits at 33.1k photos, so it seems they attract a few photographers.

If I managed to wake up though, I guess I could just go down and give it a try. Worst case is I freeze and leave with nothing :D

Oh and due to this being an event in a public park, I am within my rights to take photos as much as I like?

Last edited:
Associate
It's a great atmosphere at these runs. You'll be warmly welcomed and encouraged to photograph with the more extrovert runners doing spontaneous mo bots etc.

Lots of opportunity for candids. Parents running with their kids. Dogs dragging owners around. Faster runners stick around to encourage everyone so a crowd slowly builds.

Fastest do it in around 15 minutes with the walkers coming in around 50 minutes.

Kesgrave parkrun is the one I volunteer at occasionally.

hux

hux

Soldato
Go to something you love doing and grab that camera.

Went to a local singer at a local bar, her leaflet said something along the lines of skunk anansie.
Turns out she was a total laugh, down to earth and happy to have a few snaps done on the proviso that she has a few for self promotion which is fair enough.
I'd shy away from street photography, people tend to be super paranoid these days, I know one guy who got threatened just for casually snapping away.

Lol. I once got chased out of a field by a woman and her dog. She had spent thirty minutes observing me through a pair of binoculars from her kitchen doing my photography, prior to setting the "beast" on me. after legging it over the gate and on to the road, I realised in panic that I had to go back in and collect my tripod. I also got apprehended by two security guards for photographing the shop front of a Chiquitos at the Potteries Hive shopping centre because they thought I was "casing the joint" or was a potential terrorist threat?

Local guy I know got chased down by the local 5-0, turns out someone mistook his 600mm prime for a rocket launcher :D

Associate
Local guy I know got chased down by the local 5-0, turns out someone mistook his 600mm prime for a rocket launcher :D

Now that is a sign of the times! Made me chuckle too :).

Lots of great advice in here too. I'm a beginner myself and being a bit more assertive than you OP, I've actually asked people if I can take their picture. The fishermen would have been a good one for sure, especially if you waited until they caught something - they would have wanted copies! However, if they say no to having their picture taken do not just do it anyway - they will have their reasons for not being snapped (fishermen without a permit for example!) and could cause an altercation.

Another idea is to find your local drone or RC flying club and offer your services. I took many a picture of some friends drones (home built and a DJI Mavic) and it really did stretch my skills in framing, zooming and dynamic manual focusing :).

Always have a good reason for taking their picture and if you have a website of your work then get some simple business cards printed with the web address or even better with a QR code as it makes it even easier! Give these to the people you have photographed so they can see your photos - this saves you taking email addresses down and emailing them out if they ask. It also gives an air of legitimacy and professionalism.

Be confident, purposeful and polite. If you look sheepish and a bit dodgy people will treat you that way. Stay away from schools!

Soldato
OP
The fishermen would have been a good one for sure, especially if you waited until they caught something - they would have wanted copies! However, if they say no to having their picture taken do not just do it anyway - they will have their reasons for not being snapped (fishermen without a permit for example!) and could cause an altercation.

I wish. The only fish they caught was already on the line. Matching jackets, one having a camera himself and the other guy had a fish hooked on his line from what I presume was an earlier catch. They just kept casting the fish back to the water over and over and bringing it back out. I think they might have been attempting to look good in some competition :D

Back
Top Bottom