Asus DSL-AC68U modem/ router help

Soldato
Hi all I have just got a Dual Band Asus DSL-AC68U AC1900 modem/ router to replace the BT Homehub 5 apart from the main things you need to do at the setup , are there any other tweeks or things i need to change or is it just a plug and play type router/modem ? thanks :)

Soldato
Isn't that the model with the infamously poor modem? In-fact so bad that many people gave up on it completely or ended up using it along with a separate Openreach modem.

There was a long thread dedicated to the DSL-AC68U on here which always seemed to be full of posts moaning about it. Maybe they eventually fixed it.

Soldato
OP
oh god thanks ha! well just as well i have a TP-LINK Archer VR900 AC1900 Wireless Dual Band router/modem given to me by my brother who had no use for it any more ,think ill try that instead then :)

Soldato
Why deliberately inflict a double NAT situation on yourself when it can be easily avoided?

If the hh5 actually had a 'modem' mode it'd be different, but it doesn't.

Associate
I have said router - what issues have people faced, had mine for over a year now with sync 39,999 kbps with my Isp on a 40 mbps subscription. Never ever reset it for speed issues.

Only negative is the USB 3 port does not deliver USB 3 speeds so purchased a Nas setup wired to the Gb lan port

Wireless signal is also poor, but that's the case with any router in my house therfore I've cabled everything moreso for gig speeds

Soldato
I bought this to replace my HH5, other than basic login info there's nothing else to change to get it up and running.

Had no issues either, even gained 3Mb on my upload speeds with it.

Associate
I have said router - what issues have people faced, had mine for over a year now with sync 39,999 kbps with my Isp on a 40 mbps subscription. Never ever reset it for speed issues.

Only negative is the USB 3 port does not deliver USB 3 speeds so purchased a Nas setup wired to the Gb lan port

Wireless signal is also poor, but that's the case with any router in my house therfore I've cabled everything moreso for gig speeds

Would you be able to share you config please?

I am having sync issues, its only syncing to about 63,000kbps but Openreach have confirmed i am getting 78,000kbps on the line. I am only 100 yards from cabinet so it makes no sense, especially as my HH5 is syncing at 79,999kbps.

Soldato
When I got mine I did some reading and the early firmwares are awful but the last two firmware updates fixed a lot of the issues people moaned about and they are pretty good now but for a lot of people it will have been too late.

Do a google on the model and "config" and you should find a BT community page with settings on for that model.

Soldato
this is what i use and i,m on B.T Infinity 2 , i found it works great with these settings :) http://www.paul-lee.co.uk/how-to/asus-dsl-ac68u-configuration-settings-for-bt-infinity/ i,m getting 4MB MORE on upload & download & the Wireless connection is amazing ! compared to the HH5 or 6 , its the best thing i have ever done to my internet swapping to this router :)

Yeah thats one of the pages I used. Only problem I had with it which is why I had to go back to HH6 was it didnt like BT Sport UltraHD just couldnt get it to play through it. BT Sport HD fine, UltraHD no.

Associate
Was a toss up between this modem/router or the Netgear d7000...I went for the Netgear and have not been disappointed so far, my son wanted me to go for the Asus which had slightly better WiFi/GUI but the inbuilt modem concerned me. I did read that it has trouble with connections with long distances between me and the exchange?? mine is quite a long distance...

Can anyone shed any light on this?

I can exchange my d7000 with the Asus if needs be...

Soldato
OP
Just to throw another ball into play ..the TP Link VR900 is a very good modem/router , my brother has it and its been connected fine for 3 months :) but as people say anything is a upgrade from B.T Home Hubs !

Back
Top Bottom