DON'T BUY MSI THEY MIS-SOLD TOP SPEC GT SERIES LAPTOPS with MXM Graphics

Soldato
Has anyone done a small claims/mediation on them at all? Feels like with all the facts/costs stated that would be the mechanism here?

Might have been covered already, but surely that would be the formal way to try?

Associate
That sucks, so its looking like another 2 weeks then at least ?
If I could take time off, I would fly to Amsterdam and pick it up my self and give them cash.
That would work a smoke and my computer, what more could I ask for.

Well maybe less now this person is back hopefully

But yea the timescale of anything in this process is always vague and long and longer than any date given...

Road trip cam I come?

Cant see why they dnt have any models in UK tho...

Associate
Without prejudice

@Neo2016

I would suggest emailing MSI about that, if you have Natalie's email she has been very helpful previously.

I'm glad you mentioned the 2 upgrades, MSI UK Notebook bury their heads in the sand when it is mentioned. Do you happen to have a picture of box where it is stated?

Cheers.

to clarify this was it released with 8 and promise was for 9/10

or was it 8/9 launch and then 10/11 promised?

I'll see if i can use way back to get some screens

all i can find atm; suggests 10 is what was promised not 11s?

2isun3b.png

Has anyone done a small claims/mediation on them at all? Feels like with all the facts/costs stated that would be the mechanism here?

Might have been covered already, but surely that would be the formal way to try?

i thought about it but for £500.... vs risk of losing.... msi did warn me about this...

i assume (in my opinion) if you did go to court, they would throw all they got at the first case to win it then all other claims would be thrown out....

but idk just speculation, just little old me vs the big man with wads of cash, who do you think would win :/

Last edited:
Associate
Without prejudice

Let's find out?

Too late for me imo, i would look silly after making my payment and they would argue i've accepted the deal....

plus i have no money that i can waste or risk wasting (saving for mortgage)

but by all means if thats what you + others want to do keep me updated

Associate
OP
Without prejudice

MSI head office will at some point either take note and make realistic efforts to resolve the issue or customers will leave in droves, whilst word of how MSI treats existing customers stops potential new customers from buying MSI.

Associate
OP
Without prejudice

Gt72 2qe 806 to gt73vr 220 £1240

I wonder which 'previous MXM upgrade this is comparable' to where they charge you more than the retail cost of the GPU you are upgrading to AND expect your old card?

Man, that's simply wrong!

Wow MSI really are scumbags. For the rest of my days I will not buy a single product from them now after this shambles

This is the present state of affairs with MSI :(

Associate
It's not that bad of a deal I was probably never going to upgrade gfx card on a 2 year old laptop. I was looking to buy gt73 anyway.
But I understand where you are coming from.

Associate
my model GT72 2QD
original build
i7 4710hq
16gb ram
2 x 126gb ssd
1 x 1tb 7200 rpm hd
blu ray burner
gtx 970m

currently upgraded 4 x 250 ssd and 32gb ram

official price before inspection £1100, Original SRP £1199

upgrading to GT73vr 7RE 287uk for £2399
i7 7820hk
32gb ram
2 x 256 ssd
1 x 1 tb 7200 rpm hd
GTX 1070
FHD 120hz
no optical drive, and only 2 ssd slots

i sent in my acceptance on the 2nd of february early morning still haven't gotten a response for a shipping label yet.

how long did it take on average for most of you to get the shipping labels?

Caporegime
my model GT72 2QD
original build
i7 4710hq
16gb ram
2 x 126gb ssd
1 x 1tb 7200 rpm hd
blu ray burner
gtx 970m

currently upgraded 4 x 250 ssd and 32gb ram

official price before inspection £1100, Original SRP £1199

upgrading to GT73vr 7RE 287uk for £2399
i7 7820hk
32gb ram
2 x 256 ssd
1 x 1 tb 7200 rpm hd
GTX 1070
FHD 120hz
no optical drive, and only 2 ssd slots

i sent in my acceptance on the 2nd of february early morning still haven't gotten a response for a shipping label yet.

how long did it take on average for most of you to get the shipping labels?

When you say "for £2399" do you mean you are paying that much extra, or that the price of the original laptop is deducted form that?

Associate
OP
Without prejudice

GT73vr 7RE 287uk is the kabylake version of GT73VR 6RF (Titan) 034 UK as all of the specs match aside from the CPU being the newer gen.

So cost to upgrade to the equivalent notebook with a GTX 1070 is costing £1,299 in this case.

Neo2016 is upgrading to the equivalent notebook with a GTX 1080 for ~£300.

MSI's own statement claims "This upgrade will allow users to enjoy the latest MSI features, such as Cooler Boost and Dragon Center, and is available at costs comparable to previous MXM upgrades."

Anyone involved in a trade-in, ask MSI to specify which previous MXM upgrades demonstrates where upgrading to a more powerful GPU cost less than a quarter of the cost involved in upgrading to a less powerful GPU?

The above statement has been made by MSI UK Notebook on their facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/MSINotebookUK/posts/1146638512058171

MSI IS WILFULLY MISLEADING CUSTOMERS WITH THIS STATEMENT.

MSI HAS NOT MADE ALL CUSTOMERS AFFECTED AWARE OF THE TRADE IN PROGRAM TO THE BEST OF THEIR ABILITY.

It's time to fight back, refuse the trade in (if you can hold out), take MSI UK Notebook to the small claims courts, hit up any contacts you have in the tech press, contact MSI in Taiwan, contact shareholders.

GOING FORWARDS WE SHOULD ALL EXPECT MSI TO USE THE SAME 'PREVIOUS MXM' COSTS USED FOR NEO2016'S TRADE IN FOR OUR OWN.

Associate
Mine was a special edition though with blurry burner, I wonder if this affected their price decision?
It's clear msi are not basing trade ins on mxm alone, it's based ontbecomputer specs, purchase date and original price of the laptop

Associate
OP
Without prejudice

Mine was a special edition though with blurry burner, I wonder if this affected their price decision?
It's clear msi are not basing trade ins on mxm alone, it's based ontbecomputer specs, purchase date and original price of the laptop

I agree completely.

But what do MSI state they are doing? NOT THAT.

And this is the crux of the issue.

MSI state one thing, and do another.

THEY ARE WILLINGLY MISLEADING CUSTOMERS WITH THEIR STATEMENT.

If MSI are not willingly misleading customers we can all expect our trade-in costs to have a parity with Neo2016's.

Associate
Without prejudice

I agree completely.

But what do MSI state they are doing? NOT THAT.

And this is the crux of the issue.

MSI state one thing, and do another.

THEY ARE WILLINGLY MISLEADING CUSTOMERS WITH THEIR STATEMENT.

If MSI are not willingly misleading customers we can all expect our trade-in costs to have a parity with Neo2016's.

In other words everyone should be paying the exacts same price ?
I think it would still complicate things, as some people may have models that cant switch to the newer model, so would lose or gain features.

Some people computers are better than others, so they would lose against people who have lower specs.

I think its MSI fault for not communication the trade in offer properly, they should have just stated the trade in depends on specs, prices and date of purchase as its too complicated to do a complete swap.

Back
Top Bottom