Recommend Fantasy Films to me

Soldato
I have always had a bit of a soft spot for this sort of movie, but just recently I have had a bit of a revival after finding the Mystica Series of films and I loved them. I bought all 5, and I have watched them all 3 times now.

I have a few similar movies, but I am hoping that anyone can give me any mroe to look out for?

The sort of films Im looking for are the kind of Dungeons & Dragons, Merlin, Orcs, Elves, dwarves and all that sort of stuff.

I dont care what they are, even if they are totally cheesy, I will give it a fair go!

Soldato
Fantasy is a much overlooked genre - and what we do have is of questionable quality! LotR (the 1978 animation is worth watching) and The Hobbit are obvious choices. A favourite of mine when growing up (and still a guilty love) is Krull. Labyrinth and Princess Bride (think this counts as fantasy) are great too. You could also check out Willow, Legend (worth it just to see Tom Cruise looking like a plonker!), Neverending Story, Crystal Skull and Ladyhawke. Oh, I saw Your Highness a few weeks back and enjoyed that a good deal - it's super crass and good fun.

//edit While not high fantasy - you'll find no dwarves here - Highlander is a classic. A must see if you haven't already. Best pretend the sequels didn't happen tho! Series wise you might like the recent Shannara series - it deviated too much from the books for me, but it ticks the high fantasy boxes.

Last edited:
Soldato
Warbie has covered most bases there, my vote is on Krull, love that film.

Conan the barbarian
Conan the destroyer
Red Sonja
Dragonslayer
Excalibur

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Few people have heard of it but there is a children's animation called Flight of the Dragons that I always loved as a kid. IMDB seems to hold it in good favour.

Very good actually - 7.8!!

Last edited:
Associate
Most of the good ones have been mentioned already (Krull, Excalibur, Conan, Dragonslayer, Ladyhawke) so time for some not so good recommendations.

Fancy some awful misogynistic cheese with terrible wigs? Try the Deathstalker series.

If you just want cheese & terrible wigs then give Sword of the Valiant a go, it's got Sean Connery in it. He must have been hurting for money.

Terrible wigs were pretty much a staple of the fantasy film genre when it was at it's height of popularity in the 80's.

Rifftrax & MST3K have riffed quite a few 80's fantasy movies, worth a look if you find them too painful to watch in their original form.

Soldato
In the Name of the King... A film inspired by Dungeon Siege, directed by Uwe Boll, and starring Jason Statham... What's not to like? (Other than the fact it's hideously cheesy :p)

Edit: after looking at the IMDB page it's actually got quite an impressive cast!

Permabanned
I think 'The Princess Bride' is always a good shout. Doesn't perhaps have the deepest fantasy tropes but it's a damn good movie with an incredibly witty script.

Soldato
In the Name of the King... A film inspired by Dungeon Siege, directed by Uwe Boll, and starring Jason Statham... What's not to like? (Other than the fact it's hideously cheesy :p)

Edit: after looking at the IMDB page it's actually got quite an impressive cast!

Cheesy is one thing, absolutely **** is another :D
I don't know how this film could be so bad with that cast. It takes a special talent to achieve that.

Back
Top Bottom