Inconsiderate & slow drivers

Associate
Housey;30479156 said:
If you come across a road blocker pootling at 50% of the speed limit, the only way to overtake is using shock and awe. Exhaust baffles open, drop a few cogs, ensure you have a run up, ensure 8000 rpm plus at the overtake point, ensure change as you pull back in with full sports burble, pull away at pace so any action they chose is an irrelevance. This is morting law handed down for generations.

This is the only way, you have to include a mandatory flame & pop however on the down change.

Dis86;30480072 said:
Lol exactly. If only they realised that at 41 you don't just instantly wrap around a tree...
Some people legitimately have no feel whatsoever of what the car is doing. If a person has no interest in cars or driving then they normally cant drive 'properly' as they have done no research/reading as to how different types of car behave.

tom_e;30479517 said:
Housey understands a 10k rpm screaming flyby and then flames shooting out of my exhaust as I roll off into the sunset is the only way to properly deal with these people.

I had to pull a similar move last night after being stuck behind someone doing a max of 35 on a clear NSL road for about 5 miles after they'd nailed it off a set of light to block me getting past and merging in front of them, if nothing else I woke them up at least.
This is when launch control is essential, unless road is wet :(

Soldato
I'm seeing more and more people driving nervously at 40mph now, clipping curbs on corners and other examples of poor control. Have test standards dropped or something?

Associate
It makes me laugh the number of people that see a police car and decide to slam on the brakes, terrified that the police may fine them for not doing enough under the limit.

Soldato
Gaygle;30480001 said:
^^ What 40mph drivers think when someone dares to go more than 40mph.
41mph is not 60mph, which is what Police witnesses estimated as the speed of the woman who smacked me off my bike, AFTER she hit the brakes. Speed before was put at over 80, apparently.

41mph is not what the aforementioned driver was doing when he DID wrap himself round the tree, smashing his head to a pulp in front of his kid.

We live on a 40 limit road. Most people do upwards of 70 down it. We see at least two bad accidents a year there and yet I get overtaken on blind corners with alarming frequency.
Tell me more about how I'm a terrified slow driver who deserves to be overtaken...

Dis86;30480072 said:
Lol exactly. If only they realised that at 41 you don't just instantly wrap around a tree...
If you say so, kid... Go ahead, then - Pass away.

Associate
Kamerad;30480595 said:
ttaskmaster you are talking about something completely different to everyone else.

The way I interpret it is people doing dangerously slow speeds on safe bits of road, so doing <40 in a clear NSL road who then don't like it when overtaken. Not those who do 40 in a NSL because it isn't safe to go any faster, such as on tight blind bends, etc.

Caporegime
This isn't really about the speed limit

Traffic finds its own level and everybody does about the same sort of speed. You'll see on a nice dry motorway this ends up with the majority of people doing 70 to 80mph.

If it's wet this comes down.

Drive at a speed thats considerably slower than the flow of traffic, and you'll get people queueing up behind you trying to undertake you over overtake you depending on your position.

One of my pet hates is people hogging the 2nd lane of a dual carriageway doing 60mph because they need to turn right at the roundabout 3 miles up the road

My other pet hate on the subject of inconsiderate slow drivers are people that deliberately brake harshly approaching green lights. I've even seen ones come to complete standstill expecting the lights to turn. You shouldnt be driving if you're that nervous !

Soldato
Gaygle;30479508 said:
The issue is that often people that are doing inappropriately slow speeds are doing it because they haven't got the ability to go higher speeds, whether this be due to their age, eyesight, tiredness, intoxication, they get easily flustered or condition of their car is bad - so you then have to question why should we put up with it? If they don't think they don't have the reactionary ability to go more than 40mph on a clear NSL road, how are they going to fair if something pulls out in front of them or a child runs out? I have said it before, but I can see it in my own dad. He used to drive at appropriate speeds etc, but in the last view years, when i've been in the car with him, he'll slow down to 30mph for some reason on a bend which you can quite clearly take at 60mph. And again, he'll sometimes do 40mph, whilst I'm wondering why he is going this slowly. It's because he's getting older and his reactions aren't as good.

Shock as people who perhaps are Older, more tired, have poorer eyesight, are less confident, have a lower performance car (or are even intoxicated) seek to mitigate their circumstances by driving more cautiously.

Gaygle;30479508 said:
I regularly pull over people who are doing inappropriately slow speeds and 90% of the time they are old, have poor eyesight and are just "not really with it". Would I trust them to take avoiding action in an emergency? Would I hell.

Given that have mitigated their circumstances by driving more cautiously, their margin of safety at 40 for reacting to emergencies is probably no different (And might even be better) than a younger or more capable (Or sober) driver driving at 60

Gaygle;30479508 said:
If it is safe to do 60mph, then you should be doing 60mph in an NSL. If it is safe to do 40mph in an 40mph then you should. If you are doing less than that, why? Doing inappropriately low speeds causes people behind to take unnecessary risks, and causes whole trains of cars with people not keeping safe distances - all because one person at the front of the queue wants to do 20mph under the speed limit.

That is the question however, who's decision is it to decide what is safe?

I, for instance, have a rule for corners or windy roads.

I drive at a speed that always maintains a minimum of four seconds to the "Vanishing Point". If this means slowing to walking speed to negotiate sharp corners with poor visibility then I will do so .

(I had a friend question me about why I was going slow at one point (Sharp left with hedgerows) and I explained that, if there was a somebody lying in the road just past the apex of the corner, I would want to be traveling slowly enough so that I could stop without running them over)

Clearly, by the queue of vehicles that often builds up behind me under these driving conditions, Many other people would consider my choice of speed to be inappropriately slow. However I stand by the logic behind my choice.

Indeed, if there were no speed limits (Derestricted like it used to be) How would you expect people to chose an appropriate speed?

Drive as fast as they physically can, or pick a speed based on their own personal choices and circumstances with some people driving faster than others?

Suspended
Spartacus;30479045 said:
Yes and the same drivers that do 40 in a 60 limit continue to do 40 in a 30 limit. I've encountered similar behaviour too, pipping their horn and flashing me after I do a safe overtake because they're driving too slow. Makes you want to get out the car and give them a slap, but luckily I have something called self control.

And you'd come off worse; we all know you couldn't fight your way out of a paper bag :p

Soldato
My peeves, road users:
1. Coming to a complete stop/crawl at every roundabout even though there is nothing else coming.
2. In a queue of traffic at a red light not being prepared when the light turns green (especially if they are 5+ cars back from the front)

I'm probably considered inpatient but I prefer to think I am assertive :D

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Are you the type who honks at the person in front for not lifting off 0.03ms after the lights turn green?

I blow bees at your general direction for such behaviour.

Soldato
mrk;30480792 said:
Are you the type who honks at the person in front for not lifting off 0.03ms after the lights turn green?

I blow bees at your general direction for such behaviour.

Not me, I don't even know what my horn sounds like :) I just like to make progress and I'm a bit of a geek learning the traffic light phasing so I know when the lights change before they do :p It is the dawdlers that I dislike.

Soldato
Fr0dders;30480626 said:
One of my pet hates is people hogging the 2nd lane of a dual carriageway doing 60mph because they need to turn right at the roundabout 3 miles up the road

Speaking as "One of those people" driving an old VWT4 and rarely exceed 50 (Not three miles, but certainly up to half a mile)

I would be more than happy to wait until I am closer to the junction and the L2 traffic is also travelling at 50 before moving over, the problem is that by then the L2 traffic is bunching up and nobody will allow me to change lane.

I need to move over much further back while the L2 traffic is far enough apart that my moving over at 15-20 MPH slower than the L2 traffic can be accomplished safely (If annoyingly :p )

If L2 traffic was generally more cooperative about allowing L1 drivers to get into lane nearer the junction, this wouldn't be an issue

Soldato
I used to always catch a guy in an R Reg Mercedes on my way home from work doing 30 in a 60, he would always put his hazards on and almost stop when you caught him up.

Back
Top Bottom