Photo Editing software which one?

Associate
Hi all,

Currently got a mac and I don't know what photo editing software to buy? I currently use aperture but I believe its getting outdated and limited in its tools etc.

Options

Lightroom - seems pretty hard to use for a beginner?
Affinity
Macphun Luminar

Appreciate your help

Soldato
Only ever used Lightroom out of those listed and it does everything I need it to. I subscribe to the Adobe Photographers pack which gives me Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC. There's plenty of tutorial videos out there to learn the basics and it's easy once you know how :)

Associate
Another lightroom user here as well.

It is complicated to use in the beginning, but once you understand it is very good, especially the catalogue.

Read or watch some guides before you use it so you make the most of all the features.
I'm still finding ways to make things faster.

I think you still get a month's trial, if you don't like it after a month there are alternatives.

Associate
OP
OK cool will give light room a go, I did have a quick go but coming from Aperture it did all seem a bit complicated.

Thanks

Caporegime
I used to use Aperture (a loonnng time ago) then switched to Lightroom.

As you're already used to Aperture. Lightroom will seem odd/confusing. But keep at it. It'll make sense soon enough :)

Try youtube for some tutorial videos to help get you used to the interface.

Associate
Lightroom FTW! I actually found Aperture more frustrating to use when I tried it out a couple of years back, but then again maybe that's because I'm quite used to LR

And

And

Associate
CC suite, though the price is going up about 12% soon.

And if you use Canon their DPP software works very well in conjunction with PS, I'm starting to use it more than Adobe camera raw.

Last edited:
Associate
Another mac user who has finally moved from Aperture to Lightroom. First impressions are good, I think it's the obvious move as I didn't get on with Photos (the lightroom "replacement").

Dave

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
The lead developer of what was Aperture has just released RawPower for only £9.99, looks pretty solid so far :)

Worth a punt over Light Room which will set you back £8.57 a month

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
Associate
Man of Honour
Lightroom is simple and has a lovely development workflow providing you can get your files arranged and organised in a particular manner before you start. Try avoid cataloguing everything on your PC/Mac. Instead try cataloguing to a specific folder.

For example, I personally have one folder called "RAW Images" with meaningful sub folders. This is the only folder that lightroom sees. I just drag and drop files into that area and synchronise. i export my files to another area outside else it will just duplicate them. Everyone has their own method though.

LR tends to most exposure editing but anything after that, then you are going to have to use a another product.

Associate
deuse;30481848 said:
I've never understood why people use such programs. Wouldn't it be better to learn how to use your camera instead?

Nothing wrong with tweaking an image, results on the camera don't always match what you intended when you're viewing on a calibrated monitor or printing out.

Pros use it, I think they know how camera works :)

Soldato
deuse;30481848 said:
I've never understood why people use such programs. Wouldn't it be better to learn how to use your camera instead?

Here are a few reasons... I've had some of these in my head for a long time, as every time I see a lightroom or photoshop ad on facebook there are inevitably several people in the comments raging about how any kind of digital manipulation is the same as killing babies, so they're not all directly targeted at you - I'm aware you haven't said that all manipulation is bad :) I just want a post I can copy & paste from later.

Putting aside that people consider photography as art and manipulation as part of that art - Even if you are just trying to accurately reproduce a scene, a 2 dimensional image viewed on a display or a print is just one representation of the scene. In many situations it's literally impossible for a camera to give you results that actually reflect what you saw when you took the picture.

Try taking a picture of Nelson's column on a reasonably cloudy day and you will end up with either a well exposed nelson with a totally white sky or a well exposed sky with a totally black nelson. The dynamic range of the real world cannot ever be accurately represented by a 2d displayed or printed image. Using lightroom or photoshop can bring the detail back to both the sky and the clouds by reducing the dynamic range back down to something that can be displayed. Yes, in camera HDR does exist in some cameras but editing software give you real control of the process.

Beyond that, is photography about recreating a scene exactly as it was or as you experienced it?

A lot of people complain about adjusting colours, contrast etc. in software and proclaim the straight-out-of-camera images as some kind of truth. whereas in reality the camera is taking RAW sensor data and applying a few pre-set adjustments to it to produce one, one-size-fits-all interpretation of the scene. By shooting in RAW and adjusting later you can take full control and come up with an interpretation that more accurately reproduces how you saw the world at that moment and how you felt.
Just like how in the days of film, most people left it up to the shop to process their negatives in some catch-all way, while darkroom photographers could tweak their processing for different results, dodge and burn different areas etc.

Editing items out of a shot can be contentious, but looking back on when you were there experiencing the moment, do those telegraph lines really feature in your memory as prominently as they do in your photograph? A 2d image makes these kind of imperfections much more obvious because they're fixed in one place in the image, whereas when moving through the 3d world you're able to mentally filter them out.

Local adjustments can very subtly draw attention to specific features or areas of an image and can't be applied in camera.

Some people spend hundreds of pounds on a variety of graduated ND filters for landscapes, but with modern RAW processing it's cheaper, easier, and above all more flexible to produce the effect in software.

Back
Top Bottom