tools you dont need right now but nice to have

Soldato
so what tools do you lot have at home that you bought with the intention of " yep ill use that some time "

there is several items I need and curious if there is anything else I might add

new decent side cutters - myn broke
hss / cobalt drill bits - any suggestions ?
G clamp , never owned one and so many times ive needed one!
decent vice / mole grips . I got some ebay specials and they are rubbish
new grinder - my CHEAP £10 marksman thingi lasted 8 years or so
7mm alan key - cant find one any were so either lost or never had one!
small electric sander of some sort

I have some ok power tools, bosch sds drill , Makita impact and cordless drill combo , Ryobi jigsaw
was going to get a circular saw but quite a lot of people online just suggest clamping a level down and use the jigsaw

Soldato
Circular saw is far superior to a jigsaw. I dont buy anything i dont need, as soon as i need something i buy the tool for the job.

Soldato
OP
robj20;30482534 said:
Circular saw is far superior to a jigsaw. I dont buy anything i dont need, as soon as i need something i buy the tool for the job.

that use to be my motto, and still is for expensive items, but it annoys me when ive started something and notice I need X item to make things a lot less difficult. so don't mind buying cheaper items as I have a decent tool box and ok roller cab to store everything away

Soldato
robj20;30482534 said:

I found that too. I bought a jigsaw first then wished I had a circular saw. Now the circular saw gets a lot more use than the jigsaw. The biggest improvement I saw was from switching to cordless from corded tools, everything is so much less faff to do.

Soldato
Oscillating multi-tool. Bought it with a vague sense of the jobs it could do.

Have used it a few times for minor jobs that I could have managed without it, but would have taken a fair bit longer.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Jigsaw
Vice
Pillar drill
Lathe
5 axis cnc milling machine
Surface grinder
Wood lathe
Mini blast furnace

Soldato
I got myself all the Stanley `18v tools except jig saw and grinder - got 240v ones - also got 240v planer as it was on offer for 25 quid - The multi tool I thought I would never used has been thrashed to death closely followed by Recip saw.

I see things now that you couldn't get or were too expensive years ago and buy them just because I can -:D --got more tools than I have ever had but not so many jobs where I need them :rolleyes:

Man of Honour
Not quite in the same vein but I bought a pillar drill due to the odd time I'm drilling holes for project boxes/instrument enclosures where just about anything else is inadequate but hardly use it - those odd times I do though its invaluable.

Soldato
The missus and I have built up a fair collection over the years but I would really like some nice wood working tools in the future so I can progress that hobby.

A nice No4 or 5 Jack Plane (Wood River or Veritas)
Some nice bevel chisels and some nice mortice chisels.
A good sharpening guide and sharpening gear Veritas springs to mind.

Having used good examples of the above they make a huge difference over cheap models and make it safer and more enjoyable to do woodwork.

Soldato
My purchase list currently includes an angle grinder, impact driver, cordless jigsaw and cordless circular saw.

Wouldn't mind swapping my mitre saw for a sliding one too so i can cut wider pieces of wood.

I'm fairly happy with the majority of my tools though now. As above i try to only buy as i need things.

Soldato
I'd really like a table saw, although since I have very limited space to work I'd never actually be able to use it indoors, not to mention having anywhere to store it, so I'm considering a track saw instead.

Soldato
paintguy;30485925 said:
I'd really like a table saw, although since I have very limited space to work I'd never actually be able to use it indoors, not to mention having anywhere to store it, so I'm considering a track saw instead.

Just use a circular saw, two G clamps and a bit of wood.

Soldato
robj20;30486456 said:
Just use a circular saw, two G clamps and a bit of wood.
Yes, I'm currently doing something similar, although I'm using guide rails like these that clamp themselves.

Measuring the offset to the blade always has the chance of introducing error though (for me anyway :D ) so being able to lay the track exactly on the cut line and have the saw run perfectly straight in the track would be nice.

Soldato
See i think my nail gun is awesome. I bought it for the same reason as you but have since used it for re-felting the shed roof and hammering nails into the back of ikea furniture!

My only regret is buying a corded one. One day i'll buy a cordless one.

Back
Top Bottom