Newly plastered walls - Undercoat?

Soldato
I used watered down dulux trade super matt last time out and before that just used b&q value emulsion with no need to water it down as it's so thin. one coat should be fine it's a messy job!

Soldato
roadie;30482595 said:
I reckon 50/50 would be a bit much and would result in a lot of spattering!

Yes it's very watery but you can cover a huge area very quickly. You get completely splattered when using a roller :D

Associate
Wickes trade white emulsion is also so thin it doesn't need watering down. Plenty of decorators use it for the mist coat (as they call it) on new plaster as it is really cheap and you don't need to mess around watering it down

Soldato
OP
ahar;30483077 said:
Wickes trade white emulsion is also so thin it doesn't need watering down. Plenty of decorators use it for the mist coat (as they call it) on new plaster as it is really cheap and you don't need to mess around watering it down

I will probably just go for a "cheap" eatery emulsion I think. As you say, saves the hassle of watering down.

"Cheap" being it is watery anyway is my thought?

Soldato
Any old cheap emulsion paint will do, mix up all you old emulsion paints together, water it down 50/50 and slap it on. Great way of getting rid of old paint! Be aware though paints do go off and stink if left on the self too long.

Associate
I agree with the 50/50 mix others have stated.
Gave the walls two coats of it (was summer and house was hot) to make sure it had a good application. I got a couple of the 10L Dulux brilliant white (Wilko had them in for £10 each at the time) but builder friends swear by Leyland.

Just remember when it is thinned out, it sprays out a lot more from rollers - grab some cheap goggles.

Soldato
I found 80/20 was about right with the Leyland Trade emulsion as a mist coat on fresh plaster. Barely any splatter and it went on easily enough...

Associate
I just use whatever's left from the last job watered down usually 50/50 unless I know there'll be loads left of the paint I've bought to do the final colour and then I just use some of that instead watered down, I find I end up with less half finished cans that way.

Back
Top Bottom