Spec my gf

Associate
So, I've given up on trying to persuade my gf to take manual lessons, so need to find her an automatic small car. I've had a quick look around and I initially liked the VW Up! Good engine power (circa 100bhp), economy and equipment. However, I have been reading some reviews and it seems that the gearbox is very slow to respond, so need look at other options as well.

Must haves:
- Needs to be small. I cannot stress this enough, she calls my Megane hatch a boat :p, so anything Polo sized is the largest she'll have.
- Needs to be an auto.
- Have bluetooth so we can stream music from our phones.
- Cheap insurance group (she has 0 NCB)

Nice to haves:
- Parking sensors (to keep the car intact:p)
- 5 doors
- 0-60mph preferably below 10 seconds (for the times that I'll be driving!)

Budget wise I'm thinking:

For used £7,500-£10,000 and below 50,000 miles. Also not more than 4 years old.

For new up to £15,000.

Any advice appreciated!!

Caporegime
Screams Polo to me. Easily do-able to get a nice petrol DSG with a decent compliment of toys within budget.

Put the DSG box into sport and I really don't mind driving the Wife's 1.4.

Associate
OP
Rilot;30484107 said:
Seat Ibiza Cupra DSG?

paradigm;30484126 said:
Screams Polo to me. Easily do-able to get a nice petrol DSG with a decent compliment of toys within budget.

Put the DSG box into sport and I really don't mind driving the Wife's 1.4.

Had a look at both,although the Cupra is a bit too much for her:p The standard Ibiza for some reason cannot be configured with an automatic. I like the VW brand, and the DSG gearbox.

Speccing the Polo Match with metallic paint and some extras comes around the £17,000 mark.

I've also had a a look at Fiat, namely the 500 and Panda. The 500 comes out at £15,700 and Panda £13,800. Both with the same 0.9L TwinAir engine.

The Panda at this point seems very competitive on paper.

Soldato
M1k3H;30484532 said:
The standard Ibiza for some reason cannot be configured with an automatic.

It definitely can. Although you'd be mad to buy a new one when the new (and far, far better-looking) model comes out later this year.

Associate
OP
TheVoice;30484752 said:
It definitely can. Although you'd be mad to buy a new one when the new (and far, far better-looking) model comes out later this year.

I know you can but their configurator does not have a DSG option for some reason. I would be looking at buying around spring time anyway, I'm assuming prices will be roughly the same.

Kamerad;30484763 said:
Why do you want to spend 15k when you are concerned about paying for insurance? Just spend 6-7k on a 4 year old car.

Because I'm buying the car for her, she's paying the insurance.

Associate
OP
M1k3H;30484917 said:
I know you can but their configurator does not have a DSG option for some reason.

Actually, just downloaded the brochure and figured out that you can have the DSG with FR trim.

Still can't understand how the Panda is so cheap with so many extras though.

Associate
OP
so today went to local Fiat dealer to look at the Panda.

Impressed with the built quality of it, however gf could not keep her eyes off the mint 500 next to it :rolleyes::p

Next we walked into VW to see the Up. Initially told the sales executive that I was looking at used, until he told me how cheap they are new. :eek: £12,500 can get you into a brand new high up! which has most of what we'd spec the car to have. Quality wise is fantastic and looks very practical.

Came home rather excited, especially as the gf liked it a lot. Started reading a bit more into it and stumbled across a couple of bad reviews about the ASG gearbox. :(

Short of getting her some manual driving lessons (which she does not want), or spending more money on something with a decent gearbox, not sure what else could fit the bill.

Associate
OP
Boycey0211;30489011 said:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...price-asc&postcode=ip332aq&radius=1500&page=1

If she likes the 500, done. This was only a first search too so there will be better out there, in better condition too. And of course the basic spec one but youre talking a lot of money for not much car, get her a mental one instead.

My issue is that now that I have read about robotised manuals, which is what the Abarth has as well, it has left me not wanting one. Are they really that bad? Maybe I need to go drive one to see for myself.

koooowweeee;30489154 said:
Could you not pay for her to have a couple of lessons in a manual car? I think everyone worries about getting the gears right at first.

I have been suggesting that the past year. You are welcome to try convincing her. :p

Soldato
if she has an automatic only license (.. or does she just, only get along with automatic)
then the potential premium hike from that and for an auto car maybe a consideration.

Associate
OP
Yeah I've had in the back of my mind anything with a DSG, problem being to spec a new car with a DSG + extras (parking sensors....) the price increase is quite substantial.

I'll have a look at maybe a used Polo or similar.

In terms of insurance I looked for an automatic Up and it was below £600, so quite "cheap".

Soldato
Why are you prepared to spend more money on new when it is going to depreciate quicker? Surely in terms of cost of ownership if anything you could spend the same/more on a used car and it cost you less over its life...

As an example the new A3 is just in the £15k budget and is likely to lose less money than spending £12.5k on a brand new baked bean tin UP.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...&model=A3&advertising-location=at_cars&page=1

Associate
OP
Abyss;30490847 said:
Why are you prepared to spend more money on new when it is going to depreciate quicker? Surely in terms of cost of ownership if anything you could spend the same/more on a used car and it cost you less over its life...

As an example the new A3 is just in the £15k budget and is likely to lose less money than spending £12.5k on a brand new baked bean tin UP.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...&model=A3&advertising-location=at_cars&page=1

As much as I would have loved an A3, it would be deemed huge by her.

Steampunk;30490900 said:
105PS Skoda Fabia with DSG? A bit bigger than the Up! pretty much polo sized.

Yeah, looking at Fabia/Ibiza style cars with DSG, however I have a feeling she won't like the look :p:(

Back
Top Bottom