Spec me: Valentine's meal!

Soldato
My wife and I have decided that with the difficulties of arranging childcare in the week we're just going to spend the evening at home, have a nice meal and watch a film.

I'm looking for inspiration for the meal!

I'm a fairly competent cook and don't mind trying my hand at new things. Neither of us are fussy eaters and there's little that's ruled out. The only stipulations are that the ingredients aren't difficult to get hold of (i.e. in most supermarkets) and that the prep and cooking time isn't much more than 90 minutes to two hours.

Something a bit different and more special to the curries, roasts, pies, stir fries, steak 'n' chips, etc. we usually make.

Any guidelines on an accompanying wine would be great too. We both like red. My wife's particularly fond of South American Malbecs and also Riojas/Temprenillos, but open to epxerimentation if anything pairs well with the meal.

Soldato
The remaining child (17) is staying out for the night so I'm going to spoil the missus rotten in the resultant vacuum. I have a fancy champers and will be doing all her favourite seafood: oysters, monster prawns, scallops, squid, and crab.

Man of Honour
Something, something, something OXO tower.

On a more serious note the M&S deal is brilliant if you don't want to spend all night stuck in the kitchen and if you hide the packets she'll never know.

Soldato
OP
tom_e;30490594 said:
Something, something, something OXO tower.

On a more serious note the M&S deal is brilliant if you don't want to spend all night stuck in the kitchen and if you hide the packets she'll never know.

Having had a look, there do seem to be some tasty sounding options.

randomshenans;30490638 said:
*** QUOTED POST REMOVED ***

I see. Thank you for your contribution.

Associate
I third the M&S deal. Myself and the woman who does my washing had that last night since I'm not going to be here on Valentine's Day. The Scotch Eggs were rather tasty, and the lamb with balsamic glaze was top notch. I love the way lamb goes when slow cooked and then roasted. Textures all the way from gooey, chewy, and crispy. Nom.

Soldato
OP
Illgresi;30490708 said:
I third the M&S deal. Myself and the woman who does my washing had that last night since I'm not going to be here on Valentine's Day. The Scotch Eggs were rather tasty, and the lamb with balsamic glaze was top notch. I love the way lamb goes when slow cooked and then roasted. Textures all the way from gooey, chewy, and crispy. Nom.

Mmm. That does sound very good. We were saying not long ago actually that we'd not had lamb in ages so that could be a top choice!

Soldato
Tuppy_Glossop;30490589 said:
The remaining child (17) is staying out for the night so I'm going to spoil the missus rotten in the resultant vacuum. I have a fancy champers and will be doing all her favourite seafood: oysters, monster prawns, scallops, squid, and crab.

served with a healthy pile of chips I hope? :D

Soldato
OP
Moses;30491162 said:
The meal deals are decent. I saw Waitrose's deal yesterday, then I assume Tesco still does one. You could always throw in an extra course you make yourself (extra dessert/pre-starter/whatever).

This is a great idea, actually. Means we get the nice pre-made grub but I can also add the personal touch.

Been meaning to make a batch of homemade scotch eggs so that could be a nice handmade starter.

Soldato
OP
Mozzarella and tomato tart sounds pretty great. And my wife is a fan of mozzeralla.

Hmmm... that or scotch eggs. I think she'd go for the tart really, although I really fancy doing the scotch eggs. Will have to weigh this one up...

Soldato
OP
Youstolemyname;30492107 said:
The £15 chateaubriand from Morrisons was pretty good. We had it tonight. Needs a sauce as most fillets do though..

Just finished a nice ribeye steak each tonight so will probably not be after steak again so soon. Don't think I've ever cooked a chateaubriand myself, though.

stewski;30492131 said:
Big daddy at KFC?

Thanks. That's a very helpful suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom