Blu-ray upscaled vs UHD 4K HDR

Soldato
Well I bought a Samsung UHD player and watched deadpool and apart from a few fires seeming nice and bright I didn't notice much difference, especially when thinking about past upgrade of DVD to Blu-ray.

My TV is a top of the line Panasonic 4k as well.

I'm wondering if the obvious picture quality increase would be better noticed on my TW9300 Epson projector?

Associate
When I got my B6 OLED I was less impressed by the actual resolution jump and more by the OLED technology and HDR. I would rate the following as good demo discs:
  • The Revenant
  • Life of Pi
  • The Magnificent Seven
  • Mad Max: Fury Road

To be honest though, upscaled Blu Rays looks damn good so it's harder to justify the upgrade to 4K Blurays like it was from DVD to Blu Ray.

Caporegime
Yeah the HDR makes a lot more of an impact than the resolution with 4k IMO.

And then of course it depends how good your own TV is at producing HDR...

I'd add Pacific Rim to the above list, as that blew me away when I saw it.

Soldato
Same tbh. Blu-Ray looks great on my 4k Samsung. I have tried a few UHD discs and they are a bit better but it's hardly noticeable sat 5/6 feet back on the sofa. HDR makes a nice difference and is far more impressive than 4k by a mile...

Soldato
The resolution jump from HD (especially decently upscaled HD) is far more subtle than with the jump from SD to HD. Generally the image just looks a bit "sharper" and more defined but the difference isn't massive.

As stated, it's HDR and WCG that give the biggest wow factor. X-Men Apocalypse is the best quality disc I've see thus far.

Soldato
varkanoid;30492268 said:
Mad Max is awesome too and the new Star Trek movies. The opening bit of Star Trek II blows you away with the detail and colour.

Into Darkness is also very good due to the IMAX scenes at 16:9 aspect filling the TV screen, although when it's constantly cutting between 16:9 and 21:9 aspect footage it can get a little distracting. The reds in the initial escape sequence and particularly the lava scenes with Spock a little later look amazing.

Associate
4K doesn't give you much benefit to be honest, especially when viewing distance and screen size is factored in.

4K + HDR + WCG though.... Phorrrr... You really need an Ultra HD Premium certified set or one that meets its specifications to experience it properly though. Also some movies are more impressive than others...

Pacific Rim, Deepwater Horizon, Great Gatsby, Life of Pie, The Revenant, Sicario, Oblivion, Deadpool and Star Trek Into Darkness are a few which really blew me away. Also The Grand Tour on Amazon Prime. Even my wife notices the difference / enjoys it and she is completely uninterested in this kind of thing.

It is a bit frustrating though, as some movies I'd like to re-watch I'm not. As I'm holding out for the UHD release.

Associate
4K 4:2:0 chroma at 10bit 24p on a system using sample-and-hold technology has significant limitations which add blur to the picture.

I'm waiting for a decent true 120hz DLP projector or a new HFR standard as HDR is gained in SDR on a OLED.

Soldato
sprite-;30492590 said:
Life of Pie

Sounds like my autobiography ;)

This is the one disc I bought which was a massive disappointment. There's much discussion about it but the basic fact of the matter is that it's not as sharp as the Bluray, which looks better after decent upscaling.

Some say they prefer the look of the 4K version as it's more "film like" and not as "clean" or "digital" as the Bluray but personally I don't agree and massively prefer the Bluray.

BassPunk;30492621 said:
4K 4:2:0 chroma at 10bit 24p on a system using sample-and-hold technology has significant limitations which add blur to the picture.

I'm waiting for a decent true 120hz DLP projector or a new HFR standard as HDR is gained in SDR on a OLED.

You'll be waiting a long time for a change from 24p for films. A few have tried and basically failed. The root problem appears to be more psychological than technological as people just associate the 24Hz framerate with film and introducing a higher rate makes it look "strange" to most people's eyes.

Back
Top Bottom