I think I'm becoming a marxist

Caporegime
easyrider;30492698 said:
What is?

Seriously ?

What about this thread is garbage?

Its concise

what dont you get?

I used to get probated fairly regularly for threads that had more content, structure and intent than this one so - and don't take this as an endorsement because this thread is utterly abject by every meaningful measure - when you're asked to reign your 'thought provoking and intellectually challenging ideas' in a little bit ... take the hint.

Also, stop drinking and posting. Or both, whichever works best for us.

Soldato
Who cares your never gonna be that 1% elitist person, does it really matter, enjoy the hobbies that you have and just get on with it, drama queen springs to mind.

Associate
I am not sure that a realisation that material goods alone will not fill your wants and needs in life equates with being a Marxist.

Just shift your time, energy and focus from material goods to experiences. The most expensive thing I own in the world is the wall in my house with the family photos from the 30 odd countries I have visited, and all the awesome experiences we had in those places.

I still enjoy a good new gadget but the 9 year old car in the drive will never get replaced until I can afford a new one after 3 holidays a year and a whole load of UK based experiences.

Caporegime
Narj;30492494 said:
You're taking about consumerism. I now resist this too, choosing to mull over big purchases. 95℅ of the time I decide I don't need new "stuff".

I used to be very impulsive but now set a 14 day consideration rule when looking at buying anything expensive.

Only 14 days? I trawl every review and make spreadsheets before any purchase and take about 3 months on average to decide. Dives my gf nuts.

Caporegime
Ah, easyrider. For those of you who haven't cottoned on yet, this is a chap who likes to make statements indirectly, ie. tell everyone how totes amazeballs he is, without saying "I'm totes amazeballs", because that would be arrogant. Instead he creates an entire discussion about something, with a completely different message, when in reality all he's trying to say is "I'm totes amazeballs". For those of you in doubt, I encourage you to pay attention to his posts, they're all like this. Take this thread for example:

easyrider;30492485 said:
I have two cinema rooms :o

easyrider;30492566 said:
I converted my second cinema room into a recording studio...

easyrider;30492566 said:
I have sold loads of guitars....

easyrider;30492566 said:
I got rid of three home servers and now run Virtual machines...

easyrider;30492577 said:
I have a GTX 1080

easyrider;30492592 said:
I bought my Sub for my cinema room from BK electronics...

easyrider;30492600 said:
I have no mortgage....

easyrider;30492607 said:
I have a dell Vostro 1700 laptop purchased 2008

Clearly after some attention again so here it is: Easyrider you are totes amazeballs and I want to be more like you.

Same time, same place next week folks :)

Caporegime
easyrider;30492592 said:
We can make cars...But we just don't need to make so many...Give men and women their skills back

Teachers

Nurses

Doctors

This drive for stuff is what pollutes us....But this disease is being fed into society by the elite....

I bought my Sub for my cinema room from BK electronics...Ive had it years and years...It failed...The UK company small and brilliant charged me 40 quid to repair it....

They make enough money to run their business...everyone is happy...We don't destroy the environment and we support real talent!

But there would be no car, no sub, no phone for you to buy if the huge volumes of people buying them were not there.

Well, there might be, but they would not be an affordable/a realistic proposition to buy.

As someone said earlier in the thread, our current economy is just a very advanced type of bartering that enables almost everyone to own something that is hugely expensive to design and make.

If only a few people bought a Ford Fiesta for example, Ford would have to charge millions per car, making cars unattainable for most.

This is how technology advances.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Forum mod;30492975 said:
Ah, easyrider. For those of you who haven't cottoned on yet, this is a chap who likes to make statements indirectly, ie. tell everyone how totes amazeballs he is, without saying "I'm totes amazeballs", because that would be arrogant. Instead he creates an entire discussion about something, with a completely different message, when in reality all he's trying to say is "I'm totes amazeballs". For those of you in doubt, I encourage you to pay attention to his posts, they're all like this. Take this thread for example:

Clearly after some attention again so here it is: Easyrider you are totes amazeballs and I want to be more like you.

You missed one.
easyrider;30492625 said:
I can afford a New BMW outright

I choose not to buy one...

Soldato
Jono8;30493014 said:
But there would be no car, no sub, no phone for you to buy if the huge volumes of people buying them were not there.

Well, there might be, but they would not be an affordable/a realistic proposition to buy.

As someone said earlier in the thread, our current economy is just a very advanced type of bartering that enables almost everyone to own something that is hugely expensive to design and make.

If only a few people bought a Ford Fiesta for example, Ford would have to charge millions per car, making cars unattainable for most.

All the suggestions that Free Markets are a useful way of controlling behaviour re purchasing / production do seem to assume that consumers have perfect information and that the costs of production actually reflects the actual cost to humanity.

To my mind there is little to no consideration to long term consequence in production (pollution, harm to consumers, morality).

Clearly we don't have free markets (buy and sell babies, organs, etc) but what regulation there is is often woeful and skewed by the power of those who produce which is clearly disproportionate to those who consume.

Soldato
easyrider;30492504 said:
Half of the world's wealth belongs to the top 1%

:rolleyes:

Don't think you're in the 1%? You're in one!
hqdefault.jpg

Caporegime
stewski;30493173 said:
All the suggestions that Free Markets are a useful way of controlling behaviour re purchasing / production do seem to assume that consumers have perfect information and that the costs of production actually reflects the actual cost to humanity.

To my mind there is little to no consideration to long term consequence in production (pollution, harm to consumers, morality).

Clearly we don't have free markets (buy and sell babies, organs, etc) but what regulation there is is often woeful and skewed by the power of those who produce which is clearly disproportionate to those who consume.

No, it isn't perfect and likely never will be.

However, it is how we advance as a race and how a society can create enough jobs (ideally) for everyone.

Caporegime
OP
Forum mod;30492975 said:

Do you? Really? I am ashamed of myself most of the time and question my decision making...

Caporegime
OP
Jono8;30493014 said:

Eh?

Do you know the story of the Model T ford?

You have no idea what you are talking about.

The Ford Model T (colloquially known as the Tin Lizzie, T‑Model Ford, Model T, T, Leaping Lena, or flivver) is an automobile that was produced by Ford Motor Company from October 1, 1908, to May 26, 1927.[6][7] It is generally regarded as the first affordable automobile, the car that opened travel to the common middle-class American; some of this was because of Ford's efficient fabrication, including assembly line production instead of individual hand crafting.[8]

Caporegime
easyrider;30493199 said:
Eh?

Do you know the story of the Model T ford?

You have no idea what you are talking about.

The Ford Model T (colloquially known as the Tin Lizzie, T‑Model Ford, Model T, T, Leaping Lena, or flivver) is an automobile that was produced by Ford Motor Company from October 1, 1908, to May 26, 1927.[6][7] It is generally regarded as the first affordable automobile, the car that opened travel to the common middle-class American; some of this was because of Ford's efficient fabrication, including assembly line production instead of individual hand crafting.[8]

What? What you have written has just proven my point.

Soldato
Forum mod;30492975 said:

Yeah he's definitely seeking external validation because he isn't getting enough internal validation from buying expensive things anymore. I have a friend who constantly does this too, he's successful which is great, I'm genuinely pleased for him and he's worked hard to get there - but the only things he posts on Facebook are when his next Carribean cruise is, and then obviously pictures from the aforementioned cruise. Which would be fine except he goes on holiday 4-5 times a year. At some point people go from being pleased for you to being bored of hearing of it, and you end up making people dislike you because you're now just bragging

Back
Top Bottom