Anyone been to Norway?

Soldato
I went last April with 2 mates. We flew into Bergen but then got the train to a small remote town called Geilo (about 3 hours journey) where we did skiing and husky sledding for 3 days then took the train back into Bergen for the last 3 which was also a lovely city. The weather wasn't great when we were in Bergen very drizzly but we didn't mind, your going to a cold country so we anticipated.

It is ridiculously expensive though, in Bergen we grabbed a McDonalds one day and it worked out about £12-13 for just a normal meal once we converted, and that was before Brexit. One pizza, two sides and 3 drinks cost over £50 at a 'Dominos' esque restuarant in Geilo. Very expensive.

The husky sledding was my favourite bit, going out over a frozen lake in the middle of a valley whilst being dragged surprisingly quickly made the entire trip worth it.

Soldato
Princess Cruises used to and may still do a tour that visits a number of Norwegian ports (Bergen, Gerainger, Aalusund, Hellesylt) before visiting Iceland and Belfast. Was an amazing 12-day(?) holiday in August 2008, shame I wrecked my lower back just before it and then came down with a stonking cold during!

Soldato
UTmaniac;30493540 said:
Princess Cruises used to and may still do a tour that visits a number of Norwegian ports (Bergen, Gerainger, Aalusund, Hellesylt) before visiting Iceland and Belfast. Was an amazing 12-day(?) holiday in August 2008, shame I wrecked my lower back just before it and then came down with a stonking cold during!

a few do, I know P&O offer a load of norway/iceland options. they don't unfortunately do the one we did any more which went into the smaller fjords.

Associate
Been to Bergen a couple of times on work trips so didn't have a whole lot of time to see the city but it is a very pretty place.
As many have said it's not going to be cheap (taxis are really eye-watering!) but if you go there and want a restaurant tip Spiesekroken was excellent the two times I went:
http://www.spisekroken.no/en/

Associate
I went there for 10 days road trip (rented a Tesla for ~£100 a day which is quite amazing given how pricey the standard car rentals are - check out www.gomore.no) in August last year.

We did a loop from Oslo, Kristiansand, Bergen, Stavanger (our favourite), Alesund, Lillehammer, Oslo. It was spectacular. Here's a photo I took on my iPhone whilst we had a fjord-side picnic:

6qq4YRzh.jpg

It goes without saying that it is quite pricey but if you like the outdoors and beautiful scenery, it's worth it.

Associate
Phate;30493770 said:
What time of year did you go Megakid? Looks incredible.

That was in August.

Weather in Bergen was awful (raining constantly for 36 hours) so we cut our stay there short but the rest was great. We did the pulpit rock climb as part of a fjord cruise/tour from Stavanger - highly recommended.

Soldato
I'm in Norway right now. Skiing though, so not touring the place.

FWIW, the resort is nice. Prices seem pretty high for food, but that's just based on airport prices (£8 for pre packed sandwiches!) and the resort supermarket.

Associate
I went there last year in september and travelled between oslo and bergen, I I was lucky to have some amazing weather.

I just made a short album for you with some of my photos and where they were taken, if you would like to see more then let me know!

http://imgur.com/a/S9xpL

Back
Top Bottom