On The Wagon... then in 'ere!

Caporegime
phonemonkey;30494608 said:
No, just sit there and listen. You're not required to speak, though you can if you want to.

I've never been to one, but I imagine once you hear everyone else opening up and admitting everything, that it becomes easier for you to, and a massive relief when it's all out.

Associate
robfosters;30494639 said:
I've never been to one, but I imagine once you hear everyone else opening up and admitting everything, that it becomes easier for you to, and a massive relief when it's all out.

Exactly. If you are an alcoholic it doesn't take long before you realise that there's probably not much you've done someone in the room hasn't also done.

Associate
There's a Big Book meeting tomorrow in my local community hall, do they always call them Big Book meetings? I won't go till next week though as I'm still not feeling too great.

Associate
Different meetings have slightly different formats though at no meeting should there be any pressure to do more than listen. I'd suggest going to a variety of meetings to get a feel for what works for you.

I understand you feel ropey, but if you can physically get there I'd go anyway. Waiting to feel better before you take steps to get better seems unlikely to work to me.

Associate
wiiija;30494747 said:
I'm six months sober after almost killing myself with drink and drugs, I feel healthier but still crave a drink sometimes, does that ever pass?

I'm my experience, mostly yes. Though I still do sometimes want a beer, it's far less frequent, usually less intense and I feel more confident in dealing with them. I'm a year and 4 months sober

Soldato
1 year and 3 months without alcohol here. Hand on heart I don't miss it on bit , it's all about your attitude towards mind altering drugs and lets be clear here it is a drug!

Brenn you never did come back and say if you read the book https://www.amazon.co.uk/Easy-Control-Alcohol-Allen-Carr/dp/1848374658

If you are serious and go into it with an open mind , then this book will help. Why not download it while you don't feel to good. What have you got to lose a fiver ? That's not even a bottle of wine;)

Soldato
Brenn47;30495068 said:
For a forum for supposedly clever computer nerds, there's a surprising amount of people who should know better struggling with addiction! :eek:

In addition forget about other people in which you are trying to justify your drinking to yourself.

I truly believe in 15 - 20 years time drinking will be seen in the same way as smoking is now. People on the continent don't drink like us "manly" Brits do.

Give it up save a fortune , lose weight , feel better and most importantly you get to see this time next year as an added bonus!

As with most things if you really want it and are willing to put the hard miles in then anything is possible.

NOW CRACK ON!

Soldato
You won't, mate! But... "fear of god", "think I've cracked it"... you've written these things before over and over (and over!). It's not "need to stop" anymore for you. It's: need help and support. That's nowt to be ashamed of, but it might just be what keeps you alive.

Associate
I know, had a doctor in hospital earlier this year tell me I was lucky to be alive, few weeks later I'd forgotten how bad it was and ended up drinking again, then drinking the next day to get rid of the hangover /repeat. Utterly stupid thing to do. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Brenn47;30497242 said:
I know, had a doctor in hospital earlier this year tell me I was lucky to be alive, few weeks later I'd forgotten how bad it was and ended up drinking again, then drinking the next day to get rid of the hangover /repeat. Utterly stupid thing to do. :rolleyes:

Do you want to stop drinking, forever?

Associate
Yeah, it's not like the old days where I could drink as much as I like and wake up fresh as a daisy. Now it's either wake up feeling a bit rough, or wake up feeling like I'm on my death bed.

Before 2016 I didn't drink very much at all, just broke up with the girlfriend and all of a sudden I have nothing to do and a very low boredom threshold. Started drinking to fill the void and as the days went by I started drinking more and more until my drinking got to silly levels.

Up to 2016 I was cycling 30 miles a day.

Back
Top Bottom