MSI GT62VR 6RE - Problems

Associate
Hi all, hope someone can help before I have to send the laptop back under warranty.

Basically I have an MSI GT62VR 6RE bought a few weeks ago with a few issues.

The first one is that it often cannot cold boot up, it appears as if it has booted up but the screen is blank and it will not switch off until I perform a hard switch off. Usually it then boots fine.

The second problem is that when playing some (not all games), it appears to reset the graphics card or driver, causing no signal for a few seconds on any external monitor and crashes the game that is open.

I have download and updated the bios for laptop and graphics card, tried the MSI drivers as well as the latest windows and component drivers, even re-installed windows 10.

Thanks for any help you may offer

Soldato
Hi Garshill

In regards to this, you are probably better speaking directly with our RMA Centre. We can get this picked up and looked into for you.

Out of interest which games are you getting the crash on ?

For reference UK support can be emailed at [email protected]

Many Thanks

Associate
Hi all, hope someone can help before I have to send the laptop back under warranty.

Basically I have an MSI GT62VR 6RE bought a few weeks ago with a few issues.

The first one is that it often cannot cold boot up, it appears as if it has booted up but the screen is blank and it will not switch off until I perform a hard switch off. Usually it then boots fine.

The second problem is that when playing some (not all games), it appears to reset the graphics card or driver, causing no signal for a few seconds on any external monitor and crashes the game that is open.

I have download and updated the bios for laptop and graphics card, tried the MSI drivers as well as the latest windows and component drivers, even re-installed windows 10.

Thanks for any help you may offer

Return the notebook and go with another provider. MSI has recently reneged on an advertised promise to it customers and is not to be trusted

Man of Honour
Hi, I had the exact same issue with the GT73VR 6RF. I ended up returning two before finally settling with the 1070 variant instead. If you run furmark the graphics card will crash within a few minutes. Footy Manager 16 and a couple of other games would crash constantly. The 1070 model I have now is far better, but it still crashes frequently. I can't work out exactly what causes the issue. It's as if the fans don't cool the GPU sufficiently, quickly enough. I'm hoping a driver or bios release in the future will rectify the problem.

Associate
OP
Hi, apologies for the late response.

I returned the laptop, but no problem could be found.

It crashes randomly on Endless Legend (mainly in battles), World of Warcraft, Dragon age Inquisition and Witcher 3; although I did fix the problem in Witcher 3 by disabling the in game vsync. Unfortunately disabling it in other games does not have the same effect.

I cannot get it to crash running FurMark, Heaven Benchmark or other tools.

It also very infrequently does not start up, just blank screen, and yesterday it decided the SSD could not be found. Took a few restarts to recognise it again, but this has not happened before or since.

The issue is that it is all random and I cannot replicate with any consistency.

Cheers

Associate
same problems here mate does it do this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEh1rWYvxIs

I have same problem like the power or gpu dies and goes to black screen(off not black backlit). gpu drops to zero and then kicks back in then repeat....

same laptop, same issues as many others

return and get a different brand mate, im about to do the same

absolute trash

edit sry i have gt72vr 6re but same issue 1070 card etc

Associate
Loki;30094172 said:
Hi Garshill

In regards to this, you are probably better speaking directly with our RMA Centre. We can get this picked up and looked into for you.

Out of interest which games are you getting the crash on ?

For reference UK support can be emailed at [email protected]

Many Thanks

interesting loki, why go straight with the RMA option? are you aware of an issue with this model/version?

why not offer him to go to support first and help him install something? test? etc online?

Associate
OP
tropicola;30495931 said:
same problems here mate does it do this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEh1rWYvxIs

I have same problem like the power or gpu dies and goes to black screen(off not black backlit). gpu drops to zero and then kicks back in then repeat....

same laptop, same issues as many others

return and get a different brand mate, im about to do the same

absolute trash

edit sry i have gt72vr 6re but same issue 1070 card etc

Thanks tropicola, that is exactly it, I used to try and record it too, but it is so random.

I returned it through RMA but Overclockers could not find an issue running benchmarks and diagnostic tools etc.. so it was returned to me saying it was a driver or game issue.

If only it was reliably repeatable.

Associate
garshill;30496211 said:
Thanks tropicola, that is exactly it, I used to try and record it too, but it is so random.

I returned it through RMA but Overclockers could not find an issue running benchmarks and diagnostic tools etc.. so it was returned to me saying it was a driver or game issue.

If only it was reliably repeatable.

also i can recreate this

all i need to do is make it use more power, like change to sport/turbo or use unlimited fps and/or very high settings - it then is unplayable

if i reduce to 30fps or low settings/declock gpu etc i get stability but it crashes like every 1 hour or so after that....

before the bios/driver updates when it did the black screen it would crash/blue screen my machine though.... so the updates helped slightly im guessing but still not right...

Soldato
tropicola;30495937 said:
interesting loki, why go straight with the RMA option? are you aware of an issue with this model/version?

why not offer him to go to support first and help him install something? test? etc online?

Hi Tropicola,

Just to clarify, by asking to goto the RMA centre does not necessarily mean it's for RMA. I asked him to use that channel so he could get support with the issue. That maybe advising on BIOS update or something else. RMA in my opinion should be as last resort.

Apologies if RMA Centre has caused any confusion.

Associate
Loki;30496245 said:
Hi Tropicola,

Just to clarify, by asking to goto the RMA centre does not necessarily mean it's for RMA. I asked him to use that channel so he could get support with the issue. That maybe advising on BIOS update or something else. RMA in my opinion should be as last resort.

Apologies if RMA Centre has caused any confusion.

ok.

already updated the bios, i can tell you that did not work for me.

next?

RMA?

Soldato
I called you before and explained this has been escalated to get some emergency support. Given that it is Sunday afternoon UK and or early hours of Monday morning in Taiwan, I suspect the earliest reply will be Early hours of Monday UK time.

Regards

Associate
Loki;30496292 said:
I called you before and explained this has been escalated to get some emergency support. Given that it is Sunday afternoon UK and or early hours of Monday morning in Taiwan, I suspect the earliest reply will be Early hours of Monday UK time.

Regards

appreciated

im going to take a break from the forum today due to circumstances im too angry, fed up of posting stars everywhere

Associate
I had the same problems with my GT73VR 6RE with the cold boots black screen and would just crash in all games apart from football manager . Mine was sent back to retailer and was found to be faulty gpu in the GTX 1070 . I got a refund due to being within the 30 days of buying . I gave MSI another chance as it's the best bang for buck laptop with its features and the cooler boost Titan was far better cooling than any other laptop . I'm glad I stayed and got the 7RF with 1080 as it's a dream to play in it destroys games even in 4K . I know how it feels to have the laptop and the not working as I paid £2300 for a machine that sometimes booted with a blank screen and at times I hated MSI and perhaps I did say on another thread that I wouldn't touch msi again but i stuck with them a I'm now reaping the awards as it smashes my friends Alienware that he paid £1200 more for all being he got QHD screen but his temps are so bad man he had to strip it and re paste and even then it sss only 3c cooler . And his Alienware only came with 12 months warranty mine came with 2 years plus extra 3 months when registering on msi . His cant get his temps no where near mine . I have a very good machine and no idea what thermal paste msi have uses in this but never ever goes above 75c on CPU or GPU even driving 4k and that's with auto fans on too with cooler boost they go down to about 67c.

Associate
OP
Loki;30496292 said:

Regards

Loki, where should I go next?

Associate
garshill;30496427 said:
Loki, where should I go next?

back to overclockers i would.. film it on a gopro or camera for proof , it may be random but keep playing until it crashes and keep recording . if you want to record with shadowplay use it with desktop record on as when it crashes it will show up crash box and use WHOCRASHED free software to pick up the crash dump files .

Associate
OP
I have managed to replicate it fairly consistently within Endless Legends by loading the same save game. In fact it replicates it so well it goes into this constant reset of the card/monitor loop. This is very interesting as I assumed it was some kind of heat or length of time related, but this does it cold.

I still cannot get a benchmarking software to replicate it though, just tried the stress testing in 3dmark.

Tried shadowplay and whocrashed, unfortunately whocrashed either must not look in the right place or a dump file is not created.

Loki I have emailed the address you posted containing all details. The gaming part of the laptop simply cannot be used.

Associate
OP
Laptop went back to D&J Henry who have replaced the motherboard and graphics card under warrantly.. havent fully tested it yet.

Thanks for non-reply Loki; and Overclockers, I sent you this laptop back within two weeks - it was obviously faulty; if you cant diagnose faults then send them to the manufacturer. 6 months I have been having this problem.

All dont give up.

Associate
Laptop went back to D&J Henry who have replaced the motherboard and graphics card under warrantly.. havent fully tested it yet.

Thanks for non-reply Loki; and Overclockers, I sent you this laptop back within two weeks - it was obviously faulty; if you cant diagnose faults then send them to the manufacturer. 6 months I have been having this problem.

All dont give up.

Return the notebook and go with another provider. MSI has recently reneged on an advertised promise to it customers and is not to be trusted

After first hand dealing with MSI's customer (lack of) service. If the problem reoccurs demand a full refund and buy from a different manufacturer.

As Tropicola and Killswitch have mentioned there is a definite issue with *some* MSI notebooks with GTX 1070's, MSI's playing pass the buck to resellers is really offensively unprofessional.

Back
Top Bottom