Big ol' Burger Comparison Thread

Soldato
Visiting Reading this weekend coming, any good burger places to try? Otherwise may just pop into Five Guys, I do still love their Cajun fries.

Soldato
Visiting Reading this weekend coming, any good burger places to try? Otherwise may just pop into Five Guys, I do still love their Cajun fries.
Bluegrass is still the best in Reading - and as the man above you said about 7Bone, make sure you get a side of Frickles with your burger.

Soldato
Seems that Honest burger are opening in Cambridge, should be interesting as their location is less than 20 meters from the new Steak and honour restaurant (Which I still haven't got round to going to, but have had lots of their burgers from the vans).

Soldato
Has anyone been to Handmade Burger Company and if so what did you think?

I didn't realise we had one in Bath until I was there yesterday but we had already been to GBK but if it it's good I might give it a go next time we're there.

There isn't much choice in Bath for a good burger really which is a bit of a shame. A shake shack would be awesome!

Associate
PapaLazaru;30474561 said:
When is the 7 Bone opening in Reading?

Not tried Bluegrass for a while either.

What do you recommend from bluegrass? I went a couple of weeks ago and it was good but not top tier for me, the coleslaw that came on the side was just weird and a bit bland and the bun kind of fell apart. Meat was tasty though.
Going to try rynd next

Soldato
It's not top-tier stuff, but it is the best that Reading has to offer. Although do take into account my indifference towards Five Guys when you read that statement!

I'm a simple chap, so I go for a Bluegrass Burger with Cheese, Homemade Fries and a side of Frickles plus a pint of Brooklyn. The slaw is meant to be dry and I'm okay with that, but I can see how people might feel it isn't up to scratch.

Good luck trying Rynd - it's now Public Reading, some games room establishment or similar.

Associate
glitch;30481245 said:
It's not top-tier stuff, but it is the best that Reading has to offer. Although do take into account my indifference towards Five Guys when you read that statement!

I'm a simple chap, so I go for a Bluegrass Burger with Cheese, Homemade Fries and a side of Frickles plus a pint of Brooklyn. The slaw is meant to be dry and I'm okay with that, but I can see how people might feel it isn't up to scratch.

Good luck trying Rynd - it's now Public Reading, some games room establishment or similar.

Oh, thanks for the update! Maybe I'll give Bluegrass another chance then :p. I've never had Frickles, it sounds exactly like the kind of thing I like though.

Soldato
OP
Had a pit burger at Liverpool Reds True BBQ the other week. One of the best tasting patties I've had in a LONG time. Slightly over cooked and vastly overshadowed by the excessive toppings (Brisket, Pulled Pork, Smoked Peppered Bacon, Cheese, Sauces, Lettuce, Pickle) but eating a bit of the patty on it's own gave an indication of the quality.

Will be going back for a regular cheese and bacon burger as I bet it's spot on. The ribs and jalapeño smoked sausage were good too!

Soldato
Ahh, Reds. The Donut Burger usually finds its way to my table, although the Classic Bacon Cheeseburger runs it a close second.

Never even thought to attempt the Pit Burger - too many toppings!

Soldato
Went to Handmade burger co for the first time since 2013,

Menu has changed a fair bit now to compete with other places i.e the dirty burger range to go against Five guys.

Ordered the AMERICAN BBQ BACON STUFFED from the pit range. Burger was nice but again with the gimmicks as it came on a tray with newspaper and the coleslaw slapped on there instead of a plate like the 'normal' range of burgers do. Got the Hipster fries which is a stupid name imo but weren't too bad, not on par with Five guys fries by any means.

Came in around the same price as Five guys after drink was added to the bill at around £16 each.

Soldato
Yeah, I hate that too. Eating something juicy and bits are falling off into my lap because it's been served on a flat chopping board or a piece of slate because the chef wants to disappear up his own backside. FFS, just get the food right and serve it on a plate. I'm not a ******* caveman.

Soldato
MikeTheNative;30499143 said:
I really hate when places try to serve stuff on 'quirky' things. One BBQ I go to which is nice but quite expensive serves it to you on metal trays, feels like your in prison.
I'm okay with that - it feels appropriate for the style of food they are serving and if done well, it works well.

the-evaluator;30499373 said:
I particularly dislike the way the metal trays and what not draw all the heat out of the food.
Yeah, that is not okay.

Just needs to be held at slightly warmer than room temp and it won't adversely affect the food on it!

Caporegime
Another trip to Five Guys, double patty, bacon, grilled onions, mushrooms and barbecue sauce. Lush. Also tried a milkshake after reading here. Salted Caramel is amazing.

Back
Top Bottom