BMW and M Power Owners

TS7

TS7

Soldato
[TW]Fox;30496870 said:
I spent all of 2016 watching the F10 M Sport market and there was nothing like a decent 528i M Sport with sensible miles for 15k let alone in 2015, the one you saw was a bargain!

10k is very cheap for a high spec sensible mileage F10. The 528 is not a sought after variant but even so that's still very cheap.

10500 is the cars trade book value. It's worth about 12ish privately I'd imagine. So if it's legit it sounds like a good buy.

I remember posting it on this thread so I just trawled back and found the post and it was in fact a 523i M Sport at Birmingham BMW :p

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Steedie;30496724 said:
Just priced up my dream spec G30 530d on the configurator, £63k :eek:

Then my current spec in G30 form, £51k :eek:

Not cheap these!
Quite. The Luxury Line 520d and M Sport 520d in the showroom were something like €80k and €90k. Absolute madness. The M4 was €100k...

Associate
I'm pretty much going to brain dump into this thread to get some opinions on what I want for my next car, spec me a F30 328i basically.

I've been looking for a while and have pretty much settled on a 328i as my ideal car right now, have £15-17k to put to it so more than likely would be a 2012/13 model from what I have found in my limited search. I love the styling of the M-Sport and more than anything the sport steering wheel, so more than likely would be looking for that trim level, but the optional extras available are hard to fathom. I fancy the wide screen, but is this worth it over the standard? Does iDrive functionality change depending on the screen or is it purely cosmetic? I could take or leave nav to be honest, more than likely will continue using TomTom GO on my phone unless the BMW nav really surprises me. Apart from that, I would like PDC, maybe heated seats. Am I missing anything obvious, are there any extras on the F30 that are basically essential? I would be after the automatic gearbox, moving from manual is one of the main reasons I want to switch.

Obviously the car I'm after seems quite rare, am I mad for looking at an early 328i at the lower end of the market rather than just getting a 320d like everyone else? Is there a decent alternative I should be looking at? My current car is a 2012 Mondeo MK4 2.0 TDCI, nice enough car but more than anything I want some power to play with. Currently doing 15000-20000 miles a year so I could maybe benefit from a Diesel, but I wouldn't be hurting by paying a bit more for fuel. I wouldn't mind a diesel really, the torquey power delivery is quite nice but it's still horrible stuff. The only diesel BMW I have ever driven was a 2014 535d and that was obviously lovely, but are the less powerful diesels any good? 184bhp from the 320 is hardly worth bothering with over the 140bhp from the mondeo.

Having never owned a BMW, how scary are the costs likely to be on a car of this age? I'm assuming £300 for a service which is fine, maybe £200 per tyre every 10000 miles? Obviously if it goes bang it's likely to be expensive but is that offset by buying directly from BMW and getting some sort of Warranty? There are a few Douglas Park BMW garages around me and I would very much like to buy from them, more than anything because I assume the approved used cars are well checked out, but if I see the perfect car privately can I then get a once over done by BMW and a warranty of some sort, and is it really worth it?

Thanks guys.

TL/DR: Am I mad for wanting an early F30 328i?

Man of Honour
I went for a drive in the new 530D M-Sport today and as I expected I was impressed. Another cracking 5 series from BMW. I am not 100% on the front end styling however, especially when looking at it from standing at the side of the car looking forward and for me it's not quite as nice looking at the F10 version. However the ride has improved no end and it deals with bumps in the road MUCH better than my old F10 did. The 4WD is also an improvement and means the car can now put the power down much better than it did in the F10, most noticeable when exiting a tight roundabout, lots of lock and boot it and it just goes as you'd expect. In my F10 that would have had the back wheels wanting to break traction. Steering feels a bit nicer and though I didn't really have the time to give it a proper go, overall it feels a step up from the F10 if not significantly different. Would I sell and F10 to get a new one well no, but if you come to the end of the F10 and seek a change then I think you'll prefer the new one.

OcUK Staff
Housey;30499913 said:
I went for a drive in the new 530D M-Sport today and as I expected I was impressed. Another cracking 5 series from BMW. I am not 100% on the front end styling however, especially when looking at it from standing at the side of the car looking forward and for me it's not quite as nice looking at the F10 version. However the ride has improved no end and it deals with bumps in the road MUCH better than my old F10 did. The 4WD is also an improvement and means the car can now put the power down much better than it did in the F10, most noticeable when exiting a tight roundabout, lots of lock and boot it and it just goes as you'd expect. In my F10 that would have had the back wheels wanting to break traction. Steering feels a bit nicer and though I didn't really have the time to give it a proper go, overall it feels a step up from the F10 if not significantly different. Would I sell and F10 to get a new one well no, but if you come to the end of the F10 and seek a change then I think you'll prefer the new one.

I'd have thought even a RWD 530i would have no issues putting its power down, particular on a dry sunny day like today?

Unless these things are now north of 300BHP with big torque coming low down I'd be surprised to see 4WD troubled at all, even in the wet.

Yes new 5 series looks very nice, particular the inside.

One of my friends has ordered the brand new S5 3.0 V6 twin turbo, takes delivery May/June time so am quite looking forward to seeing the new S5 platform and hoping they went some way to curing the horrid understeer the older platform S5/RS5 suffered from.

Man of Honour
I'm not sure why, but the F10 just struggles to put the power down, especially when it gets bumpy which I can put down to poor damping. The good news is it's probably the easiest car I've ever driven to drift! That old video of me in it at a dry Curborough shows the traction issues.

Man of Honour
Dis86;30500060 said:
Have issues in the 640 too. Particularly if trying to pull away and the front wheels aren't straight.

Hence why I was keen to try it with lock on at an island. New 4WD 5 Series does not suffer this based on my highly unscientific test today.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Housey;30500004 said:
I'm not sure why, but the F10 just struggles to put the power down, especially when it gets bumpy which I can put down to poor damping
As you said, damping in the new 5 is substantially better. Did your demo have Adaptive Drive?

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Housey;30500282 said:
No, standard M sport
Impressive. I aimed for potholes and was impressed with the new one, even in sport, albeit with adaptive drive.
Seems much more solid and refined than the F10, and I thought that was amazeballs back in 2010 when I first drove one..

Back
Top Bottom