California's Oroville Dam 'near failure', ~180k people ordered to evacuate

Caporegime
http://www.breitbart.com/california...cuations-ordered-oroville-dam-spillway-fails/

The California Department of Water Resources issued a sudden evacuation order shortly before 5 p.m. Sunday for residents near the Oroville Dam in northern California, warning that the dam’s emergency spillway would fail in the next 60 minutes.

The Oroville Dam is the highest in the nation.

Pretty crazy stuff - I remember when the dam breaks in Superman, freaked my nut out then and now it may happen for real :eek:

Some scary pictures and footage out there, I'll just post this one:

C4imOy5VUAAxm3L.jpg

Caporegime
Where i live there are loads of hydroelectric dams. We have a escape plan etc sent to us every year.... If the main one breaks upstream and takes out the others on the way, in 3 hours my Town will be under 14 meters of water for a few Days... lol

Ive seen much worse Pictures than the OPs one i thought the main wall was crumbling?

EDit oh no its just the emergency spillway at work... THats a lot of water!

Soldato
Funny enough, John Oliver on Last Week Tonight did an episode about this (well the infrastructure in the USA in general), a good watch if you're interested.

Soldato
joeyjojo;30498412 said:
Very freaky. Several solid years of 'severe drought', then enough snow and rain for the first ever emergency overflow. :eek:

There has been some suggestion that the high level in the dam are because of a change in priorities in the water management program forced on the dam operators as a result of pressure from environmentalists to more closely follow the rivers pre-dam seasonal flooding behaviour.

IE water has been held back, that in the past would have been released far earlier in the season.

This is California after all, priorities and all that....

Soldato
Clum;30498445 said:
So it's not the actual dam wall that's damaged, just the spillways? Not going to be a superman level failure then.

If the spillway goes, then the damage to the land mass downstream of the dam can be heavily compromised, if you check out some of the pictures you can see that the land adjacent to the spillway is getting washed away rapidly, but in a catch 22 they cant shut off the spillway as that will push the dam to failure. Damned if they do, damned if they don't :D:D:D

Soldato
M56mceg.jpg

As I underdtand it the failure in the main spillway (above) is not the critical concern it's the emergency spillway which they thought could collapse.

I wouldn't want these guys job. :D

pbs0sfs.jpg

Back
Top Bottom