Macbook Pro 2016 Odd Vibration?

Soldato
Hey folks, I have the 15" version of the Macbook Pro, and have noticed when it's plugged in there is a weird static-type 'vibration' sensation if you touch the sides and move your fingers across it, when running on battery this does not occur.

I did have this issue with my previous MBP (2014 version) only when I used a non-genuine power adaptor, whereas this is actually the one that came in the box with the Macbook so is as genuine as they come.

Obviously it does not occur on the trackpad, but it just seems weird, almost like the laptop is not grounded fully when plugged in?

Anyone else experienced this? Is it something to do with the material used for the casing?

Soldato
You might have a clogged ventilation fan which is out of balance. You notice it when charging as the fans spin faster in this mode as there's more heat being dissipated internally.

Install smcFanControl and manually change the left and right fan speeds to see if this is the case.

Commissario
momo56;30496247 said:
Yeah the adapter is only grounded with the extension plug. It's been that way for years.
My old MBP did this.
My new MB does this.

Look at the charger, the way the main body of it connects to the plug section itself. It's actually using a standard figure eight connection which only has live/neutral. As said, there is no grounding whatsoever. It's nothing to do with the fans.

Associate
Feek;30496264 said:
My old MBP did this.
My new MB does this.

Look at the charger, the way the main body of it connects to the plug section itself. It's actually using a standard figure eight connection which only has live/neutral. As said, there is no grounding whatsoever. It's nothing to do with the fans.

Can confirm any metal Macbook I have had does this. It feels very strange, at first I thought it was because It was faulty. Turns out it is most definitely not the case.

Soldato
OP
Ahhh that would explain it, its harmless really but I think with an item this expensive they should have thought about it in countries that use 3 pin plugs.

Soldato
OP
lol, it's a two pin connector at the end of the cable, it's not possible to ground it.

Whilst I agree, and simply cannot figure out the difference between using the 2 pin extension cable vs just plugging the normal plug on the end of the power adapter, it DOES make a difference, it has completely eliminated the vibration by using the extension cord.

Associate
The reason between the normal plug and the extension is that the extension plug is grounded. If you look at the sides of the UK extension plug you will see that there are metal runners on each side where the extension plug slides on, this makes contact with the metal knob that the extension connects to - grounding your device. I had the buzzing problem with my 2017 MacBook Pro, connected my old extension cable from a MacBook Air to my new transformer and voila! The buzzing has now gone.

Soldato
Apple used to supply a grounded extension with the MacBooks which stopped the issue. They now only sell it as an extra for £19 which tbh is taking the biscuit a bit. My new 13 does it badly and tbh I find it annoying to use. Apple seem oblivious to the issue even though it is easily googled and a common issue with any metal non grounded device. All they would do for me is either sell my the £19 lead or refund my MacBook. They would not offer the lead free or even a discount not the greatest service when you are spending £1600.

Apple have gone really down hill lately if you ask me the support is next to useless and not very knowledgeable. They are also not willing to help and would rather refund your laptop than admit there is an issue and give you a £19 lead which probably costs them less than a £1. Crazy....

Man of Honour
Even more fun, charge your iPhone at the same time as your MBP is on charge on you legs, then accidentally touch it with your bare leg.

Zeerrrttttt

Lesson you quickly learn!

Soldato
lol, it's a two pin connector at the end of the cable, it's not possible to ground it.

I thought that at first, but apparently it's not the case. The round metal pin that the plug attachment or extension cable hooks on to is in fact a ground pin. If you look at the connectors that slot over it, you'll see that the simple plug only one has nothing there, while the one with the cable actually does. You can just about see the metal contact in this pic:

cap003-apple-oem-extension-power-cord-ac-adapter.jpg

Back
Top Bottom